•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are good drinks/snacks/appetizers for observing

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:04 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever taken anything out with me. I get to engrossed/lost in what I’m doing I guess I don’t think about any of that. But also I don’t get any break during my 12.5 hrs at the hospital every night so maybe, unfortunately, I’ve  just gotten used to going without for hrs 🤔😞

Edited by esd726, 20 October 2019 - 10:06 PM.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#102 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

Bourbon...  After all, astronomy is a hobby and 2 fingers of bourbon makes me happy. 

mmmmmmm,

Jaimo!

Well said, couldn't agree more. 

One of the first additions to my observatory was a whiskey shelf.

Attached Thumbnails

• obs.jpg

Edited by Taylor, 21 October 2019 - 07:53 AM.

• Lukes1040 and PartlyCloudy like this

#103 scrufy

scrufy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:24 AM

If Astrophotography is going to happen I have a soda to just keep me up and water for later. Food, just some sandwiches in a small ice chest.. ham, chicken etc..

If just visual, I just have a few beers or a nice scotch and relax and look.

I’ve found getting PHD2, APT, and Plate Solving to be a bit harder after a couple beers so it gets frustrating.

(Helps to plug in the cables- and lol, yes I did forget after a few and sat there for 30 minutes troubleshooting ascom).

#104 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

A good single malt Scotch for me, if I drink enough I can see stars even though its cloudy, crazyeyes.gif D. 

• GilATM, ETXer, Lukes1040 and 1 other like this

#105 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware Valley

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

Pretty hilarious thread folks. Giving me ideas....

#106 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

I credit Wes C. and his lovely wife for this one as they are who introduced me to it: a thermos of hot cocoa made with a stick of butter, real cocoa, real chocolate, and 2% milk instead of water. In addition water to stay hydrated. On a cold night that cocoa is the cat’s rear end! Brandy or Scotch is optional and not advisable if driving.

#107 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

Water only. Anything else at the scope is risky for contamination of equipment.

#108 ETXer

ETXer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

I don’t have anything right there at the scope... but in between observing objects, I’ll sit down by the adjacent table on the patio and sip some wine or more often, a gin martini. ;)

#109 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

I don’t have anything right there at the scope... but in between observing objects, I’ll sit down by the adjacent table on the patio and sip some wine or more often, a gin martini. wink.gif

I have an Oberwerk wooden tripod with the factory optional eyepiece and wine glass holder and in the summer months I use it for every session. But water is also important when it is warmer. 

I like a dry martini myself. My favorite is a balanced Riedel stemmed Martini glass dry chilled, just rinsed with good dry vermouth and filled with a generous pour of ice shaken & strained Hendricks Gin with a medium pitted, not stuffed green olive or three on a wooden cocktail garnish pick. Yumm, I had about four or five of these a couple weeks ago at Mastro's in Beverly Hills. Between the Martinis a couple glasses of Dave Phinney's Papillon and a prime ribeye shared with my wife, good grief it was so good. Had to Lyft back to our friend's house LOL. 

#110 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:19 PM

What are some good drinks, snacks or appetizers for observing.

This would also help with giving non astronomers a more enjoyable experience.

If you can tolerate processed sugar, Skittles, M&Ms, Reese's Pieces work because they don't melt or make a mess.  If you prefer natural, moderately juicy "tidy" fruits like apples are pretty good.

I like making tea in the field when observing.  Oolomg, green, black, Indian, Chinese, you name it.  The caffeine buzz I get from tea is much less "rough" than from coffee, and seems to dissipate a bit faster so I can still get some shuteye when I no longer need to be alert.

Regards,

Jim

#111 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

I have an Oberwerk wooden tripod with the factory optional eyepiece and wine glass holder[...]

I have this tray with my tripod as well. It is great to hold my atlas, glasses, lens covers, and so forth, but when I use it for beer or wine, after a few, I run into binocular summation issues. ooo.gif  So, now I more often use the wine glass holder option when I'm looking at the Moon, which is a much friendlier object for, shall I say, eyes that are not functioning optimally.  grin.gif

#112 Don H

Don H

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Desert SW

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

Did anybody say fried bologna or SPAM yet? Just kidding, can't believe I ate so much of that stuff as a kid... and Velveeta cheese...

• jrbarnett likes this

#113 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:34 AM

I have an Oberwerk wooden tripod with ...

Which Oberwerk?

My club has a 100mm f/6 BT45 bino on a fork mount that goes on a very sturdy Manfroto 161MK2 studio tripod.  It came with 26mm eyepieces that turned it into a 25 x 100.  I added a pair of 14mm 82 deg. wide field eyepieces that made it 42 x 100 with a 2 degree field.

IMG_0175-X3.jpg

Edited by pierce, 14 November 2019 - 03:02 PM.

#114 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:44 AM

pssst, you can just make out /Mars/ between Venus and the crescent Moon.   heh.

edit: oops, I said Mercury, I went and checked that date, it was Mars in close proximity to the Moon and Venus.

Edited by pierce, 14 November 2019 - 05:07 PM.

• izar187 likes this

#115 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

IMG_1199-X3.jpg

#116 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Did anybody say fried bologna or SPAM yet? Just kidding, can't believe I ate so much of that stuff as a kid... and Velveeta cheese...

We were fed SPAM canned meat because my mom had no clue about nutrition and it was dirt cheap. SPAM is basically edible waste meat that is salted to very high levels then canned and cooked. Good for a 50's bomb shelter maybe but not suitable for human consumption. Zombies maybe but not people.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics