•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Southern Hemisphere objects for a beginner?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 didir

didir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:07 PM

Hi all,

I've ordered my first telescope, a dobson 8"

As son as it's here I'd like to take it to very dark skies where I live in New Caledonia.

I think the first things I'll point are the Magellanic clouds and the milky way center. But I have no Idea what to look at apart from this.

Any ideas? Australians, what interesting objects do you think I could see clearly with the celestron 8" ?

Have a nice day.

• thundherr likes this

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

New Zealand here :) 

lots!

you should hunt for a book called Imaging the Southern Skies which has lots of  nice targets in but .... 

Eta Carina

Tarantula Nebula

Jewel Box

Omega Centauri 

47 Tucane 

Centaurus A

are the usual ones for our public open nights :) 

• thundherr likes this

#3 didir

didir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:47 AM

Thank you for this detailed reply! can't wait to start observing smile.gif

EDIT: Eta Carina with a 8inches dobson can be seen?! I looked at the internet picture, this one looks amazing! I guess it'll be a very small dot at best? (I have no equipment for astrophotography so the only photons collected will be from my eye ^^)

Edited by didir, 27 August 2019 - 12:49 AM.

#4 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:48 AM

very jealous - does it stay clear much or cloudy oceanic environment like NZ ??

• thundherr likes this

#5 didir

didir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:03 AM

Actually down here the skies are quite amazing, which is why I decided to get a scope :)

Apart from the 3 big mining sites pretty much the entire island is empty. 500km with something like 40k people, in small villages.. Mostly class 1, sometimes class 2 skies.

From September and for like 5 months trade winds start kicking in and usually the days and nights can be pretty much empty of clouds for weeks.

But the when the hurricane seasons arrives, the sky is pretty charged, and then back again at clear skies end of August/mid september.

• BradFran and thundherr like this

#6 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:05 AM

hmmm sounds like I need a trip to New Cal :) 

• thundherr likes this

#7 IMB

IMB

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:59 AM

EDIT: Eta Carina with a 8inches dobson can be seen?! I looked at the internet picture, this one looks amazing! I guess it'll be a very small dot at best? (I have no equipment for astrophotography so the only photons collected will be from my eye ^^)

The Carina Nebula is very large. It can be seen with any scope. I observed it last year with 72 mm refractor from Chile. It has a very intricate structure and can take a lot of magnification, so observe both under low power to see its extent and under high power to see the details of its structure. The Carina Nebula responds very well to a UHC filter (I used DGM NPB in my observations).

If you're referring to the Homunculus Nebula within the Carina Nebula, indeed it's small, but I think it still should be within the reach of your dob.

Edited by IMB, 27 August 2019 - 03:02 AM.

• thundherr likes this

#8 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:52 AM

sure you can see Eta carina - if you use a Ha filter it will show more too 

it will be much bigger than you think too :) 

#9 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

welcome.gif

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! I'm also very jealous of your location and sky conditions! I have a whole list of objects to view should I ever travel far south. But it seems you already have a good highlight list going in the posts above, so enjoy!

If you have southern specific questions, the group at Ice in Space in Australia might also be helpful:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/

If you need something in the French language, you might try:

http://www.webastro.net/forums

But please continue to hang out around here, the more southern topics the better!

#10 Ukrainian

Ukrainian

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ukraine, Kyiv suburb

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Here's my 20 best objects with description  based on my observing experience from Namibia this year:
https://stargazerslo...from-kiripotib/
As a double stars observer, I can recommend also alpha Cen, Acrux, kappa Tucanae.

Edited by Ukrainian, 27 August 2019 - 02:48 PM.

• BradFran likes this

#11 didir

didir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

welcome.gif

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! I'm also very jealous of your location and sky conditions! I have a whole list of objects to view should I ever travel far south. But it seems you already have a good highlight list going in the posts above, so enjoy!

If you have southern specific questions, the group at Ice in Space in Australia might also be helpful:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/

If you need something in the French language, you might try:

http://www.webastro.net/forums

But please continue to hang out around here, the more southern topics the better!

Thanks a lot for the links!

and thanks for your observation advice Ukrainian

Edited by didir, 27 August 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#12 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

Can you get by in New Caledonia with English and some French? I'm dreaming of a quiet Bortle 1 place in the southern hemisphere to move to, but my wife only speaks basic French. She is an EU citizen and could legally move there if she found a job.

Let us know what you end up seeing in those Bortle 1 skies!

#13 didir

didir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:52 AM

Can you get by in New Caledonia with English and some French? I'm dreaming of a quiet Bortle 1 place in the southern hemisphere to move to, but my wife only speaks basic French. She is an EU citizen and could legally move there if she found a job.

Let us know what you end up seeing in those Bortle 1 skies!

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately people here can't really speak other languages.

A EU citizen can get a job though, legally, but depending on the qualifications priority can be given to a local person (which can be hard to overcome even for a french guy like me from Europe..)

#14 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:15 AM

Thanks! I'm having fun researching the possibilities. I've been so long in Germany that I have forgotten what a dark sky looks like. frown.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics