•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Multiple star systems? available catalogues?

double star observing
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Hi Forum,

I just recently started observing double stars with my Telementor and i am surprised by the variety of characteristics to observe: color index, separation, angle...  an entire new observational experience.

But then I asked myself if there is a list of multiple star systems (not open clusters) that can be detected visually (without AP)

Does someone know if there are resources or catalogs for these systems similar to the doubles lists?

Many thanks for your kind answers,

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 27 August 2019 - 08:15 AM.

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

There's the Washington Double Star Catalog:

https://www.usno.nav...IR-prod/wds/WDS

If you like doubles you might be interested in the Journal of Double Star Observations (JDSO):

http://www.jdso.org/

The Astronomical League now has four observing programs involving double stars:  Binocular, Advanced Binocular, Double Stars, and Multiple Stars.  Scroll through the complete list of their Observing Programs to find them:

https://www.astrolea...rvingClubs.html

• RAKing and Corcaroli78 like this

#3 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

The Astro League's Multiple Star program will give you 114 sets to start with.  Some of them are asterisms, but most are multiple star systems.

I downloaded the PDF list and plan to check some of them out.  The only hassle with their list is they group the stars by constellation, not RA-Dec coordinates, which makes the list much more confusing for me to use. tongue2.gif 

Cheers,

Ron

• Ed Wiley and Corcaroli78 like this

#4 fred1871

fred1871

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

The Astro League's Multiple Star program will give you 114 sets to start with.  Some of them are asterisms, but most are multiple star systems.

I downloaded the PDF list and plan to check some of them out.  The only hassle with their list is they group the stars by constellation, not RA-Dec coordinates, which makes the list much more confusing for me to use. tongue2.gif

Cheers,

Ron

Not sure why it's confusing, as the RA and Dec are listed for each object. I've had a look at the list. Putting objects in the same constellation, that is, sky region, together, seems to me one way to keep things simple. RA order listing is fine except for the huge variations in Dec. No doubt some folk prefer that.... But Haas's book on Double Stars for Small Telescopes, and the 2nd Edition of the Cambridge Double Star Atlas, both went with arrangement by constellation and RA order within that.

Personally I favour that approach - immediately tells me which sky region an object is in. Same as I prefer someone to tell me they've observed Mu Bootis - I know where to go - instead of Alkalurops, which sends me to the list of 400 or so star names before I know what object they have in mind. YMMV as always.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

Here is something I put together a while ago.  It is for triple stars only but it will get you started.

Finest Triple Stars.

The first post has downloadable lists....

Dave

• dmdouglass, Corcaroli78 and Far Star like this

#6 Far Star

Far Star

Ranger 4

• Loc: Germany

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:47 AM

Here is something I put together a while ago.  It is for triple stars only but it will get you started.

Finest Triple Stars.

Dave

Thank you for this extensive work! Just downloaded and printed your very interesting and useful list (in order by constellation).

#7 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:22 AM

Finest Triple Stars.

Dave

Many thanks Dave,

this is the type of list that i was looking for.

Carlos

#8 mauigazer

mauigazer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Maui, Hawaii

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

Cheers,

Ron

As the coordinator of the AstroLeague Multiple Star Observing Program, I'm happy to be of assistance with any questions you may have regarding this new program. After over two years of work in a team of three observers with a number of additional advisers, the Program made its debut in August, 2019.   Although some of the systems are categorized as "uncertain" in Stelle Doppie, we've striven to present many with "physical" companions and have included nearly twenty orbital pairs. Most are observable with backyard equipment on clear nights. Some, however, are very tight and will require pretty strong power and seeing.  I've downloaded the PDF version from the AL web page and converted it to an Excel spreadsheet where in "edit" I was able to sort the list by RA. If you are serious about tackling 100 of the 114 objects in the program and have completed the AL Double Star Program, (which is a pre-requisite), go the the web page and give it a try.

#9 WRAK

WRAK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria, Europe

Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

CDS VizieR: Updated Multiple Star Catalog (MSC);  Tokovinin, 2018

#10 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

Finest Triple Stars.

Dave

"A While ago...."   Ughhhhhh    How about 4 years ago !

But it is a beautiful list, and now i have a copy.

Thank you sir.

#11 catalogman

catalogman

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

Here's another:

http://cdsarc.u-stra...z-bin/cat?I/274

--catalogman

#12 inZet

inZet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

Carlos, this is a simple search in Stelle Doppie.

In Advanced Search, select System doubles more than 2

then apply filters as you wish

give it a try

Bye,

Gianluca

#13 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

Carlos, this is a simple search in Stelle Doppie.

In Advanced Search, select System doubles more than 2

then apply filters as you wish

give it a try

Bye,

Gianluca

PM sent, Gianluca...

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: double star, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics