•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Bausch & Lomb Legacy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone know where Bausch & Lomb Legacy binocs are made today?

And anyone have any comments on how they are optically? I'm thinking of getting the 8x40 or 7x35 (if I can find it). My main concern is sharpness in the center of field (I'm not picky about edge sharpness or field flatness). Thanks.

#2 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:55 AM

I briefly had a set of the B&L Legacy 10x50s. They had pretty bad edge of FOV distortion. But, they were fairly decent in the center of the FOV. I can't remember exactly what I paid for them, but I'm thinking it was well under $100. Anyway, for the money, I thought they were decent, but not particularly notable. My recollection of them is that they were OK for daytime use, but not particularly suited to astronomy due to spherical and severe chromatic distortion. I gave them away to somebody that lacked binoculars, and last I heard he was pretty pleased with them.

My suggestion is to try the sizes you're thinking of in a store prior to purchase. The QC and size to size variances are likely to be a significant factor in these.

Mike Swaim

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

Bad news...I found out some zoom Legacies are made in China...so I think it's safe to assume all Legacies are now made in China.

I'd love the Legacy 10x50s for astro (I'd be willing to live with the poor edge performance) but that's too much magnification for me for daytime use.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics