•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar bell jar?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

Anyone found an affordable bell jar big enough to easily contain a Questar?

Edited by dougspeterson, 27 August 2019 - 06:49 PM.

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

I see quite a few glass bell jars on the internet.  But you may have to tip your Questar tube upward a bit more to fit it in.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:08 PM

Display Cases --- Yes!

One would assert that a Questar deserves to go on display and that... it you can afford the scope...

Anyway, I'm big into displaying my optics stuff... especially my own concoctions.

Real Glass Bell Jars, with plano ground bottom edge are sure the most elegant and impressive. You can get them from commercial restaurant suppliers. And, of course, scientific laboratory glass suppliers. Quarter-inch thick walls. They aren't even very expensive. Here's a picture of one that I use. >>> The reason they call them bell jars is because they ring like a bell if you hold it up by that handle and ping it!

Blown Acrylic Domes come in all sizes, the bigger ones made to order... and also not very expensive. Here's a picture of one I had made for my meteorite. >>>

All-Glass Fish Tanks  come in a bunch of standard sizes and you can also order custom. Those are generally rectangular or hexagonal and can either get them without edge framing... so they are entirely clear.

All-Glass Home-Made You can easily make your own similar just using window glass and clear RTV. Be sure to emery the sharp edges and RTV an appropriate handle on top. The advantages are that it's cheap, easy, local, and custom. Picture >>>

Anyway... those are some ideas!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 78 BELL JAR display toms solar projector.jpg

• TerryWood likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:09 PM

Nother pic >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 80 toms meteorite.jpg

• Steve C., TerryWood and rcwolpert like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

Last pic >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 81 model ship display case window glass 90.jpg

• TerryWood likes this

#6 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

Tom Dey, do you have a thread on your solar projector?

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

Tom Dey, do you have a thread on your solar projector?

Hi, James! Yes, somewhere back a couple years ago... imbedded in the Aug 21st, 2017 Solar Eclipse Stuff. Problem is, I have never figured out how to ~search~ the CN file archives using KeyWord... just don't see that feature anywhere here; maybe I'm missing something. Maybe someone can help me on that, or just confirm that CN keyword search just does not exist.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures from my own files >>>

I "invented" the projector in a day and built it the next. Took it to Casper, Wyoming and happily used it! The gizmo comprises three Star Diagonals, an ophthalmic +0.125 precision Diopter Singlet, and a Televue Sol Searcher. The nice thing - it just sits in the sun and sends the image over to a convenient paper screen. The 3-inch image is invariant... stationary, right there on the screen, 27 feet away... on e.g. a shaded fence in the yard or even through a window into the house!

I assume others have done similar. The beauty of mine is that it's cheap, commercial parts, sharp image, group viewing (front or rear-projection screen), and flexible to locate and point... and easily motorized for tracking the sun, dawn to dusk... and everything inbetween.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 85 Toms Perascopic Solar Projector 60.jpg

• Reid W, rcwolpert and JamesMStephens like this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

Nother pic    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 86.1 solar projector 90.jpg

• TerryWood and JamesMStephens like this

#9 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

I know we're getting of topic, but that projector is neat!  You're just projecting the solar image with a long FL lens, and manually adjusting the axes to track the Sun (I think).

Jim

• Loren Gibson likes this

#10 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

I had a display case made for my Cutaway project that everyone would otherwise want to touch.  I went with an elevated base, mirror floor and back wall to show more views, and was happy for under $250 shipped.

IMG 5579

The source is linked here.

Edited by Optics Patent, 29 August 2019 - 01:57 PM.

• drprovi57, TerryWood, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#11 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

That is super nice! Museum quality. V/R Terry

#12 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

I know we're getting of topic, but that projector is neat!  You're just projecting the solar image with a long FL lens, and manually adjusting the axes to track the Sun (I think).

Jim

Hi, Jim, Yep! At that point I had not added motors, but it's SO easy to find the sun (using the Sol Searcher...) and then just counter-rotate that last periscopic head... still very convenient. It takes just two drives that could be either automated or (maybe more reasonably) using JMI Train N Track... with the control paddle on an extension cord located at the rear-projection screen, with the beam coming in thru an open window, into the house! Hmmm... that would be very easy! Staring at mine, here... I can see where I could amend that to the thing no problem. I've got the mechanicals figured out... Az pivot at base with exiting periscope held invariant... track that axis to get stationary L-R at screen. And the Alt one drives the input periscope to maintain stationary U-D. That would certainly work! Hmmm...

Of course--- this thing is only good for the sun... even the moon would be terribly dim... at F/320! With a one-inch aperture, resolution at the image is about 5 arc-sec... which looks nice and sharp on the 3-inch image. I know people have done various all-optical solar scope projectors... but usually grandiose bigger using those giant mirrors up top, and all. The ultimate of that approach would be the KPNO McMath Solar Scope! I was there, long ago... When you go up top... the mirrors are loaded with pigeon signatures!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 95.2 Kitt Peak Observatory 75-80 annotated.jpg
  • 97 McMath solar telescope.jpg

• JamesMStephens likes this

#13 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

I had a display case made for my Cutaway project that everyone would otherwise want to touch.  I went with an elevated base, mirror floor and back wall to show more views, and was happy for under $250 shipped.

The source is linked here.

You've even got the famous pen in the display!

• Loren Gibson likes this

#14 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

For a variety of acrylic display cases, just type in: :acrylic display cases", there are quite a few sites on the internet.

EXAMPLE:

We Will be Closed Monday 9/2 for Labor Day. Normal Office Hours Resume on 9/3.
Need Help? Call Us 1-888-366-3394  My Account
Buy Acrylic Displays | *****Shop Acrylic POP Displays Online Your Display Experts*****
Type your search here
  0My Cart
All Categories
Custom Displays For Businesses

Custom Printing

Custom Engraving
What We Do 
Contact Us

Specials

Blog
Home
Display Boxes And Cases
- 5-Sided Acrylic Boxes
- Colored Acrylic Boxes
- Transparent And Clear Acrylic Boxes
- Display Boxes With Bases
- Custom Acrylic Boxes
- Boxes With Lids And Covers
- Sports Display Cases For Memorabilia
- Mirrored Boxes
- Suggestion Box And Ballot Boxes
- Floor Standing Display Cases
- Wall Mount Display Cases
- Counter Top Display Cases
- Custom Printed Acrylic Boxes
Display Pedestals
Signage
Acrylic Risers
Retail Displays And Fixtures
Literature Holders
Podiums, Pulpits, And Lecterns
Office And Facilities
Restaurant And Food Service
Acrylic Care and Cleaning
Furniture
Trade Show Displays and Supplies
Organizers
Specials
New Products
Industries
Home  Display Boxes And Cases  5-Sided Acrylic Boxes  Transparent And Clear Acrylic Boxes  Acrylic 5 Sided Box 15"H x 10"W x 10"L
Acrylic 5 Sided Box 15"H x 10"W x 10"L
We Can Make Any Size Custom Box. Custom Printing & Engraving Ava

Edited by Toddeo, 29 August 2019 - 08:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics