•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Attended my 1st ever star party!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern shore Maryland

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

I was invited to StarFest 2019 by one of the members of my club who is also a member of ChesMont which is the club that puts on StarFest.

It was a great night and we had a huge crowd and there were plenty of scopes, big and small. I brought my XT10 and there were lots of dobs including a 22 incher and even a really nice small Unitron, as well as 2 EAA setups.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to look through the other scopes as I was incredibly busy with all the guests. Even though I didn't get a chance to look through other scopes the reactions of the people looking through the 10" dob were worth it. So many excited faces after looking at Saturn or M13 will definitely bring me back to more outreach events.

It was also really cool meeting the other amateur astronomers and hearing their adventures in space. It even got my girlfriend even more interested in astronomy since she said it was very hot watching me talk about the objects in the scope😂

Can't wait for my next star party!

Clear skies
  • Gary Z and ShaulaB like this

#2 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

Sounds like a "good place" to bring your girlfriend!!!   :-)

On a more serious note -  star parties are  G R E A T  ! ! !

It's just plain "NICE" to be "out" observing with so many others who enjoy the "magic" of the night sky (like yourself).

M11Mike

PS: When it gets dark and everyone gets seriously into observing - not always easy to look thru a lot of other scopes.....much depends on who you set up next to.  

• maknswarf likes this

#3 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:14 PM

Sounds like a "good place" to bring your girlfriend!!! :-)

On a more serious note - star parties are G R E A T ! ! !

It's just plain "NICE" to be "out" observing with so many others who enjoy the "magic" of the night sky (like yourself).

M11Mike

PS: When it gets dark and everyone gets seriously into observing - not always easy to look thru a lot of other scopes.....much depends on who you set up next to.

This was definitely a learning experience, as I was unsure of where to set up I parked near the self-proclaimed "grandma" of the event. She was a fantastic person to talk to, however its also where the guys with kids park so they can leave on the earlier side. So we got blinded when they left, next time I'll park deeper in the field.

Some of the guys were getting ready to do some serious observing just before 11 but then the park rangers asked us if we could pack up.

There will always be another star party to gaze through some of the monsters.

However, my girlfriend now wants to learn how to find stuff instead of me finding and then showing her, which I'm ecstatic about😀 so we're going to have our own little star party with my three scopes.

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

Was the star party open to the public? All nights or just 1?

• maknswarf likes this

#5 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

Was the star party open to the public? All nights or just 1?

It was just a single night it was also a public event here are some pictures from the event. https://www.chesmont...ppa-container-2
  • rajilina likes this

#6 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

Ah...

Yep... I tend to distinguish between Star Party and Public events.

Thanx!

• maknswarf likes this

#7 joe colontonio

joe colontonio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

Public outreach! Even better.

• maknswarf likes this

#8 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

Ah...

Yep... I tend to distinguish between Star Party and Public events.

Thanx!

Yeah I guess its a lot more observing than showing at a true star party and less headlights.
  • BFaucett likes this

#9 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Yep.

Our club has 14 annual events for the public and 2 annual events (the Star Party and the Messier Marathon) reserved for amateur astronomers only... I'm all for public outreach, but we do need time to learn from each other. 

• joe colontonio likes this

#10 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

There's more on the CAS StarFest 2019, including photographs, posted at https://www.cloudyni...on-august-24th/

The largest aperture present was the 25" f/4 Obsession Dob belonging to the president of the CAS.

Dave Mitsky

• LFORLEESEE likes this

#11 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

Yep.

Our club has 14 annual events for the public and 2 annual events (the Star Party and the Messier Marathon) reserved for amateur astronomers only... I'm all for public outreach, but we do need time to learn from each other. 

I'm curious. How do public events prevent you from learning from each other?

In my experience, our public events entertain public for an hour or two, but afterwards it's essentially only club members, occasionally with a guest amateur or a very enthusiastic newbie. 

Long ago we had public and club star parties, but kept inviting everyone to the "club" events. We do have use of a dark sky site pretty much any clear night, so there are impromptu observing sessions too, which tend to be mostly club members - but not always. 

Clear skies, Alan

#12 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

I'm curious. How do public events prevent you from learning from each other?

In my experience, our public events entertain public for an hour or two, but afterwards it's essentially only club members, occasionally with a guest amateur or a very enthusiastic newbie. 

Long ago we had public and club star parties, but kept inviting everyone to the "club" events. We do have use of a dark sky site pretty much any clear night, so there are impromptu observing sessions too, which tend to be mostly club members - but not always. 

Clear skies, Alan

I dont want to get too far off topic here, but at public events we typically bring gear that is conducive to a better outreach experience. This means more accessible scopes, probably no worrying about using ADC's, grating filters, coma correctors, less or no AP... maybe a bit heavier on the EAA side... we do research as to what things the public would find interesting...

At a star party... non public... we spend more time learning our software, tweaking gear, discussing with each other pros and cons of different aspects of what we are doing... 

At a star party... I can leave my gear set up to  check out what someone else is doing, needing, to borrow or loan something, or to ask a question w/o the fear of my rig being messed with... we don't have to cater to anyones needs... purely time we spend doing our thing.

• BFaucett and maknswarf like this

#13 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

Jeff,

Thanks!

Clear skies, Alan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics