•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flash in M31 Andromeda

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SECTOR 001

SECTOR 001

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Last night, Tue, Aug 27th, Seeing conditions were very good.  Sometime between 9:45-10:45pm CSDST, I was looking at the Andromeda Galaxy, M31.  My scope is a small aperture 76mm so I can not resolve individual stars, it's just a bright fuzzy.  All of a sudden I saw a flash, which lasted for about second.  Then it was gone.  I was looking directly at it.  I'm certain it wasn't a plane, space junk, satellite or meteor, as I've seen all those through the eyepiece.  Meteors have a trail and you can see the outline of junk and satellites and their flash is usually very bright. Of coarse it could have been a nut or bolt or some other small piece of junk floating around up there and reflected some light.  Just wondering if anybody else saw it too? 

Kenny

Edited by SECTOR 001, 28 August 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

Go to General Observing and Astronomy Forum.  There is a thread started last night

#3 Sketcher

Sketcher

Apollo

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

Hmmm . . . Very interesting . . .

I was out last night with an 80mm f/5 achromat (mostly at 26x).  M31 and family were among my targets.  My logged sighting was for 6:45, 28 August, 2019 U.T.

I had also looked some time earlier (but likely not earlier than 6:15 U.T.).  Obstacles prevented a full view at this earlier time, so nothing was logged and I returned to M31 at 6:45 for a "proper" logging. Actually, I was systematically observing Messier objects with the 80mm aperture stopped down to 1-inch; but the below observation (if you can call it that) was made at the full 80mm aperture.

Oddly enough, I caught a fairly bright, white, pinpoint flash of light in M31 that lasted on the order of 1/10 second.  I wasn't looking directly at it at the time -- possibly just getting to the eyepiece with my eye or just starting to remove my eye from the eyepiece.  So I wasn't certain of the reality of the flash, and didn't log it.  According to my (admittedly very unreliable) memory, the flash may have been about 1/4 degree south of M31's nucleus.

Edit:  I'm not sure when the flash was "seen" -- either very near 6:45 U.T. or some time prior, but definitely after 6:15.  My observations prior to 6:15 were of a different region of sky.

Edited by Sketcher, 28 August 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#4 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Looked for that thread in General Observing and Astronomy and couldn't find it.

What's the title?  Or, better, what's the link to it?!

Sounds fascinating!

Edited by Roger Corbett, 31 August 2019 - 10:45 AM.

• kksmith likes this

#5 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:32 PM

Looked for that thread in General Observing and Astronomy and couldn't find it.

What's the title?  Or, better, what's the link to it?!

Sounds fascinating!

Same here - saw nothing related to this thread.

Ken

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics