•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old ( waxing ) Moon slides through beehive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

I'd woke from restless sleep this AM and saw the waning  last quarter moon as a very thin crescent.

Grabbed the bino's and said wow need closer look. Something else in the view.  Some low thin clouds present.

Set up my grab and go and noticed right away the stars of the Beehive slipping to the West of Moon.

The Moon had several "beads" on the edge of limb, made more apparent by the thin crescent and less brightness

It's retrograde had passed it well past the cluster by 04:20 local time.

Id missed the event , we have unobstructed view to the East down to 5 degrees so should have been able to see the second half just after Moonrise. .frown.gif

Watched with the 4.5" ball-scope until 06:00 local time. Through the latter part of the session and the sky getting brighter the stars that stood out the most near the Moon were 39 and 40 Cnc.

Unaware of this info  -https://stargazerslo...omment-3699106 

Edited by Stardust Dave, 28 August 2019 - 07:59 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#2 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

This reminds me of a walk I took yesterday (Tuesday) morning.  I woke up early, and decided to take a pre-dawn walk (something I almost never do)  I got out at 4:30, expecting to see a few stars and a nice thin crescent.  I was disappointed to see nothing.  I decided to go for a walk anyway, and as I walked down my street, I noticed some stars in the east.  It took a few seconds to realize I was getting my first sighting of Orion this season.  I live on the west side of a hill, and as I walked, the crescent came into view through the trees, probably  in Gemini, although I couldn't see any of its stars.  It only lasted a few minutes before the sky brightened, but ti was a beautiful sight.  I wondered about it going through Cancer and the beehive; the beehive is a favorite of my girlfriend, and she would have loved to see the crescent anywhere near it.  Don't feel bad that you missed the whole show; feel good that you got to see any of it, even a glimpse of this conjunction must have been something special.

• Stardust Dave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics