•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star parties, lights, protocol and options...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PolyWogg

PolyWogg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

I'm a monthly "star party" coordinator for our local astronomy group, and we set up in a darkened parking lot on the edge of town once a month in warm weather (May - October, sometimes April and November if we're desperate). Usually about 15-25 scopes, 100-300 public visitors wandering around during the night. Invariably, you hear a "clunk" when someone bangs into a tripod leg because they are not yet dark-adapted.

This happened to my scope on Saturday night, and while no damage done, of course I then had to do a complete re-alignment to get going again. So I was wondering what to do about having some sort of reflective tape, little red lights, something that would let people see where it is. I don't feel it's a big issue when I'm observing normally, just when lots of newbies are roaming around, and in those cases, we usually don't have many LP obsessives around (our area isn't dark enough for them generally). So I was wondering what people have to suggest to use?

- I have the Celestron vibration suppression pads under the legs, and they have a small orange semi-reflective ring, but not enough for anyone to really see.

- However, at the last star party, someone had those little glow bracelets/necklaces (i.e., crack and shake), and put three loops on the ground, one around each leg. A bit brighter than I would have expected but clearly did the trick. Anybody have experience with other astro people finding those TOO bright? Can I buy red ones?

- Solar tape would seem too bright to me, and most glow white.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Paul

#2 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend glow-in-the-dark duct tape. just a little square inch at the bottom of each tripod leg or other protuberance can do wonders to enhance the enjoyment of all.

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:26 PM

Yes, you can get them in red.

Here’s 50 of them for less than 7 bucks:

https://smile.amazon...,aps,184&sr=8-7

• Greyhaven likes this

#4 Andynator

Andynator

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

I use these, they are not too bright and the beam directs down if you want it to:

Nite Ize Moonlit LED Micro Lantern, Mini Swivel Light with Clip, Red LED https://www.amazon.c...i_9ZYzDbVWTMN0B

#5 dark sky newbie

dark sky newbie

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lost in your skies.

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

https://www.amazon.c...8G3U/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.c...5YV/ref=sr_1_58

#6 PolyWogg

PolyWogg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

Thanks all! A couple seem a bit brighter than desirable though, but the rest seem fine...

Paul

#7 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Glow in the dark tape. Not nearly as intrusive as red lights.

#8 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

I have the same problem with my observing chair.  The legs stick out in the back and they are painted a very dark blue.  I found even myself tripping over them in the dark, even when dark adapted.  I was going to paint them white, or put white tape on them.  Nothing that emits light, but just something brighter-colored than the dark color that they currently are.  If that doesn't work, I may go with the glow-in-the-dark tape, just a couple of squares of it.

I was at a star party where someone had strings of orange-ish LED lights wrapped around their tripod legs.  These, IMO, were overkill and too bright.

• PolyWogg likes this

#9 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

Glow in the dark tape. 

The lights people use to mark their telescopes (and territory?) are invariably too bright. "Blinky" lights are even more annoying.

Clear skies, Alan

• George N and PolyWogg like this

#10 asterope62

asterope62

Explorer 1

• Loc: Brigham City, Utah

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

For public star parties with many people there, I would try blinking red LED lights on the legs of the tripod. I wouldn't use them at a regular club star party though.

• PolyWogg likes this

#11 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

I'm really liking the idea of the red bracelets making a circle on the ground around each of the legs. Think I might order some of those for my own use.

• PolyWogg likes this

#12 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

I use glow in the dark bracelets, any color. Just put them around the feet of the tripod. Or on the tripod legs around the height adjusting bolts.

You can get them pretty cheap at Walmart, most Dollar stores, EBAY, etc...

I tried using glow in the dark paint on my tripods legs, but that didn't work too well. 

Edited by Pauls72, 29 August 2019 - 01:38 PM.

• PolyWogg likes this

#13 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

The glow in the dark tape and glow in the dark parachute cord we use will glow all night.

Clear skies, Alan

• George N and PolyWogg like this

#14 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

On the other side of the issue....Went to the clubs dark site Wed nite....there were probably 30 or so people there.  Outside of myself there were only one or two doing visual, everyone else was doing AP of one sort or another.  If you think APrs hate light pollution, you're wrong....it was like a Christmas Tree out there...I actually packed up and found a spot down the road at an abandoned farm.  

• izar187 and PolyWogg like this

#15 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Although not as bright as tape, glow in the dark rope works well for marking parameters around scopes.  Harbor freight sells it, 1/4" x 100' or so for just a couple bucks.  Also great to use with tent stakes and for awnings.

• Greyhaven, BFaucett, wrvond and 2 others like this

#16 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

UV Paqlite, peel and stick buttons for your tripod legs (or any other hazard new moon nights).  UVO necklaces for outreach volunteers.

• PolyWogg likes this

#17 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

At public events, I sometimes just dangle a little red flashlight under the accessory tray pointing toward the ground.

• PolyWogg likes this

#18 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:51 AM

I picked up three small LED "wand" type lights at Walmart for $1 each. I'm going to attach one to the inside of each tripod leg with velcro strips.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics