•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen BT125 update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZX12

ZX12

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

Having spent some time observing with my BT125's, I thought an update would be in order as to their performance for those who might be interested.
My favorite eyepieces are the Televue 8-24 zooms. They have a fantastic range of mags. (32x-95x), and provide one of the sharpest images with minimal false color. The 24 Pan's are good for dark skies and when seeing is decent, but have some flaring that I find distracting on brighter stars and planets. The field size (2.1 TFOV), and eye relief are both excellent though.
What's most surprising is that the BT 125's have been so easy to use. I have never owned an instrument that's so comfortable to view through. Many people who have looked through them at Saturn for example, remarked how nice it was to see it with both eyes open, and feel no strain to merge an image. I give Vixen much credit for making two optical tubes feel so integrated like a true binocular rather than two telescopes stuck together.
I acquired a pair of Vixen 6mm LV's off AM recently and have had excellent results pushing the BT125 to 126x. Seeing conditions limit the view of course, but the image is still sharp at this power. What's really great is just scanning the sky at 32x and coming across clusters and knots of stars that I rarely see when looking through my telescope. It's just so much easier when the image is correctly oriented with the sky.
I had intended to do a shootout against the Oberwerk BT100/45, but my pair had some difficulty holding collimation above 60x. I had been using them primarily at 25x and 40x and they were great, but when my Vixen's arrived they opened up the possibility of using big binos for higher power bino observing.
Kevin B. is checking them out right now to see how they look, so hopefully I will be able to do the comparison in the next few weeks.
Also, I found out from Vixen Japan that the BT125 HFT-A (the model that uses interchangeable eyepieces) is no longer in production, but the fixed 30x model will be available in September 2006.
That's all for now.

Clear skies, Mike

#2 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the update, Mike! This thing sounds marvelous!

But you've broken all our hearts: "Also, I found out from Vixen Japan that the BT125 HFT-A (the model that uses interchangeable eyepieces) is no longer in production." :bawling: :nonono:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics