•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Got the binos out...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

I've been using a 6"dob alot lately, which i love!! But tonight i just used the 15x70's..Its amazing looking at cygnus! Sooo many stars and its really amazing to see. Its nice to rotate between scopes and binos. Good perspective that way...Shawn

#2 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:29 AM

Me- I love all the winding, twisting, coiling strings of stars, many of which seem to be in double helices. Lots in Cygnus, but there are others in the sky all over the place.
I wish, though, I could see some of the deeper stuff here- my sky is too bright though for anything but a faint glowy hint of what lies beneath the brighter stars. Even my larger scopes don't reveal much in this area, and I have yet to get away to a really dark site. Ahhh, maybe some day!

Jess Tauber

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

Sagittarius might have more interesting targets for scopes, but Cygnus (IMO) is the best binocular region of the sky.

Like Jess, I too suffer from bright skies. The transparency has been horrible lately, increasing the sky brightness as light reflects off all the aerosols, smoke (from nearby wildfires) and haze. Even when the moon has not risen yet, the sky is almost as bright as a full moon.

If only we had some kind of remote control to dim the light pollution!

MikeG

#4 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:08 AM

Hi Mike,

Even up here in the NE, we have an air stagnation advisory in effect (several days now). By the time the skies clear off some, then our ol' friend, Luna, will be on the rise.

However, several nights ago, we had a beautiful night, one of those rare ones. The daytime temp. was 72* with a gentle NW breeze.

Since tomorrow's forcast is for 91-96*F in Binghamton, NY, I'm afraid I'll stick to yard work after 1900. I might, or I may, just take a binocular out in daytime to see the ripple effect from pavement. Or, maybe, I'll just keep my butt on the sofa and watch the Weather Channel.

Best regards,
Dave.

#5 Sarah88

Sarah88

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

I also do that mttafire - always have a pair of binocs when out with a scope. I usually use 10x50s for that, because they show pretty much the same stars as my SkyAtlas.
I use them as a sort of 'bridge' between charts and scope - I find the area first, with binocs, and mentally mark the spot where my target is (often I can faintly see it with the binos) before hunting it down in the scope.

And sometimes, on a nice night, I'll lay back in the garden with 15x70s and just sweep around, revisiting old favourites. Clusters are my favourite while doing this (open and glob)
Another thumbs-up from me for the Cygnus area, also love the area around Cassiopeia - loads of OCs around there, also the bottom end of Gemini, and up through Auriga - four big Messier OCs and quite a few others.

#6 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:42 PM

The short/ fast refractors in the 80 and 100mm range seem to be all the rage of late.

Folks who use these, often couple them to wide field, low power eyepieces, and acclaim the wonderfull rich field star views to be had.

I think that the 70 to 100mm binoculars that are now available, produce even better rich field views than do those refractors, and for less expense.

The ultimate set up being,IMHO, the 80 and 100mm binocular telescopes of variable magnification!

Bob in NM

#7 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

As a happy new owner of a variable magnification 100mm Oberwerk BT, I can attest to that!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics