•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

August 2019 issue of Sky & Telescope

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

I was just told by /Sky & Telescope/ that apparently no one in the USA received an August 2019 print issue of /Sky & Telescope/ due to the change in publishers.

I just got the October 2019 issue yesterday.  Did anyone get an August 2019 issue?  I'm a new subscriber and they had the address wrong, so wasn't sure if it was related to that or not but they said that no one got it.

#2 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Nicole:   I received an August issue - cover story is "Revealing the X-Ray Universe".

• Crow Haven likes this

#3 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

Nicole:   I received an August issue - cover story is "Revealing the X-Ray Universe".

Gr.  Should I call back and complain then?  :-(  Did anyone else get an August 2019 print issue of /S&T/?

https://www.skyandte...ust-2019-issue/

#4 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

I got mine as well back in June or early July. Maybe they were referring to new subscribers?

#5 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

I got mine as well back in June or early July. Maybe they were referring to new subscribers?

I received June, July, and October, but no August.  They told me that no one in the entire USA got an August 2019 issue due to the change in publishers.

I already paid for the print subscription so I should be getting every issue that is printed?  :-(

I don't understand why they would tell me that no one in the USA got a print issue when some people did?  I specifically asked if anyone in the USA received the August issue, and they told me no it was never published.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 10:38 AM.

#6 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

I received mine, right about at the usual time.  No hiccups in monthly delivery for me.

smp

#7 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:46 AM

Okay so I called back and now they say they are doing a combined August/September issue.

Did the print issue you received say August 2019 or August/September 2019??

After subscribing in May 2019, I received both June 2019 and July 2019 in June 2019 (I actually received July 2019 before June 2019) and then October 2019 yesterday.  I have not received anything since June 2019 until yesterday.

They said they are going to mail me the missing August/September issue but it will not arrive until 3 weeks, i.e. the end of September.

I understand there must be a lot of confusion going on with a change in publisher, but receiving July, June, October, September out of order, and then no August, does not give me much confidence as a new subscriber :-( .

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#8 KidOrion

KidOrion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

I got both August and September issues.

Weird.

#9 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

I got both August and September issues.

Weird.

So you received separate print issues for August 2019 and September 2019??

Should I call back again?  Every time I call they tell me something different about why I am missing issues :-( .  First they say that no August issue was ever printed.  Then they say that there is a combined August/September issue but it was never mailed to me.  I never received either August or September.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 11:07 AM.

#10 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

I also received the August 2019 S&T issue.  Also the Sept. issue.  They absolutely did print it.

Edited by Crow Haven, 30 August 2019 - 11:12 AM.

#11 ssantia

ssantia

Sputnik

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

I have the digital subscription and did not receive the August issue. Every time I try to download it fails.

I wonder if when they say nobody received it, they mean the digital version.

Sam

#12 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

I also received the August 2019 S&T issue.  Also the Sept. issue.  They absolutely did print it.

Two separate printed issues?  Ugh :-( .  I am getting really tired of what seems like being lied to.  First they say no August issue was ever printed.  Then they say that a single combined August/September issue was printed but was never mailed to me.  Should I call back again?  Or wait until next month to start complaining again?  They said that I should receive the missing combined August/September issue in 3 weeks.  But if no such issue exists, what will I get?  I have to say as a new customer I am very disappointed with the level of customer service at /Sky & Telescope/.  I even told them that I was getting feedback online from other subscribers that contradicts what they were telling me, and they told me not to trust what any other subscribers say, and only listen to what they tell me....

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 11:21 AM.

#13 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

This seems to indicate that there might be two separate issues?  I don't know if that applies to print though.

https://www.skyandte...ber-2019-issue/

#14 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

This seems to indicate that there might be two separate issues?  I don't know if that applies to print though.

https://www.skyandte...ber-2019-issue/

Yes, I received both issue you linked

#15 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Okay so I called again (third time) and they confirmed that there should be two separate print issues for August 2019 and September 2019.  But for some reason they are claiming it is impossible to mail me the missing August 2019 issue.  So they are going to give me an extra free month on my subscription to compensate, and I just have to wait 3 weeks to get the missing September 2019 issue (I already have October 2019).  So I won't have August 2019 for my future collection of printed back issues, but was able to get a resolution finally.  Glad I kept calling.  Thanks for the help here in letting me know what I was missing out on.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#16 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Silly me, I thought I'd save a few trees by moving to a digital subscription. That worked for a couple of years--until it didn't. S & T told me that they couldn't help because I bought the subscription through Apple. Apple couldn't do anything except cancel the subscription and offer me a partial refund (for which I was thankful). Sadly, not only do I no longer received the new issues digitally, I lost all access to the ones I had purchased and were archived.

In an era where print sales are down for almost everything, you'd think the publishers would try a bit harder to work with their customers. I live in a small community with no bookstore that sells magazines so I now have no access to S & T, but why should I support them digitally given their past performance? I guess I can re-subscribe to the print version, but it irks me to have to do that.

Chesterguy

Edited by Chesterguy1, 30 August 2019 - 11:43 AM.

• Night shift likes this

#17 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

I am hoping that these "hiccups" are just due to the change in publishers, and they'll have all the kinks worked out by the time they want me to renew....

If I had known that F&W was in bankruptcy I might have waited until after the change-over to start the subscription, but that might have been worse maybe.

• BradFran likes this

#18 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

Silly me, I thought I'd save a few trees by moving to a digital subscription. That worked for a couple of years--until it didn't. S & T told me that they couldn't help because I bought the subscription through Apple. Apple couldn't do anything except cancel the subscription and offer me a partial refund (for which I was thankful). Sadly, not only do I no longer received the new issues digitally, I lost all access to the ones I had purchased and were archived.

In an era where print sales are down for almost everything, you'd think the publishers would try a bit harder to work with their customers. I live in a small community with no bookstore that sells magazines so I now have no access to S & T, but why should I support them digitally given their past performance? I guess I can re-subscribe to the print version, but it irks me to have to do that.

Chesterguy

People keep saying that print is dead, but numerous studies show that you have better retention when reading printed materials.

I am not a fan of e-magazines in general, but I specifically wanted the print subscription so I have something to read offline and to use as reference material at observing sites.  Same reason that I bought printed sky maps instead of using an electronic reference.

Another issue with digital media is that many e-books and e-magazines are licensed as software.  This means you do not actually own the media, you simply own a license to access it.  It also means that if the publisher goes out of business, you can lose access to the media.  Whereas a printed magazine is a physical item that you own forever.  You can also scan it into the computer as a legal backup for personal use in case the original printed media is ever destroyed or damaged.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#19 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

The last five issues of Sky & Telescope that I've received are the June, July, August, September, and October 2019 issues.  All received more than 30 days ahead of the month they are about.  No glitches in delivery for me at all.

smp

#20 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

The last five issues of Sky & Telescope that I've received are the June, July, August, September, and October 2019 issues.  All received more than 30 days ahead of the month they are about.  No glitches in delivery for me at all.

smp

Maybe because you are closer to Massachusetts?  :-O

But could be a combination of factors.  They still have the wrong address for one.  They told me the address they were using showed in their system as "undeliverable" which is maybe why I never received it.  It could just be luck that I got the other issues, depending on who was working at USPS those days if they knew the route well enough that they could still deliver it to me even with the wrong address.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 30 August 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#21 jp071848

jp071848

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

Question for those folks who have accessed digital versions of the most recent editions, have the new owners changed how the digital copies are offered and accessed? Any chance they are going back to the PDF downloadable way of doing things, or do we still require a dedicated reader app like Issuu?

#22 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

Maybe because you are closer to Massachusetts?  :-O

But could be a combination of factors.  They still have the wrong address for one.  They told me the address they were using showed in their system as "undeliverable" which is maybe why I never received it.  It could just be luck that I got the other issues, depending on who was working at USPS those days if they knew the route well enough that they could still deliver it to me even with the wrong address.

I don’t know who you are talking to, but please message me your mailing information and I’ll mail you your missing issues. By the way,  proximity to Massachusetts is irrelevant, as the magazine is printed and shipped from Cincinnati (if I remember correctly).

Edited by swalker, 31 August 2019 - 09:30 PM.

• spereira and Nicole Sharp like this

#23 ssantia

ssantia

Sputnik

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

Hello Sean,

Any chance you could do something about my missing August digital issue? Zinio shows unexpected error when I try to download.

Regards,

Sam

#24 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:05 PM

I've received the August, September, and October issues of S & T.

• Carl Kolchak likes this

#25 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

Hello Sean,

Any chance you could do something about my missing August digital issue? Zinio shows unexpected error when I try to download.

Regards,

Sam

Sorry, Zineo is a service I don't have access to. Have you tried emailing zinio for help? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics