•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES Moonball Circa 1965--for Old Codgers

art moon sketching
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

My folks bought me this from this Edmond Scientific in 1965 or 1966. Despite much misuse in childhood like throwing it as a dodgeball at my brothers and other unsavory acts it has survived and is roughly 55 years old. Any of the other old codgers here have one of these?

Why waste your time outside battling humidity and mosquitos when you can sketch this in the comfort of your own home? It's hard to see, but the bottom half (darkside) is filled with moon facts. The abuse adds a kind of wear and tear patina that mimics the wear and tear on the moon itself. I'm also including the ES catalog entry.

Chesterguy

Moonball 1965.jpg

ES Moonball.jpg

• Carl Kolchak, NC Startrekker, Reid W and 6 others like this

#2 stargazer60

stargazer60

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Texas

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Wow I had one just like that one when I was about 11 years old back in 1965.  Thanks for the fond memory of a better time.

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

I cant tell for sure, but by the last sentence, are you offering to sell this?

Thanx!

:)

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

I love the prices for things back then !  When a buck was a buck.

#5 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

Never owned one of those moonballs, but man, do I ever remember those catalogs!

• chrysalis likes this

#6 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:15 AM

$2.50 Post Paid!

#7 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

$2.50 Post Paid!

So, accounting for inflation (I asked Google) that would be $19.75, post paid, today.  :lol:

smp

• BradFran likes this

#8 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

I know, when did the term postpaid disappear? Ahhh, the good old days where you'd save your money and give it to your mom who would fill in the order form with a pen, write a check and put a stamp on the envelope and then you'd wait, and wait, and wait. As a kid, it always seemed like an eternity to get something shipped. No package tracking, no two-day shipping and only hope that you items would be in stock and sent.

Any of you do the Estes Rockets mail ordering as well? Eventually they began carrying them in my local hobby shop, but by then I had moved on?

Chesterguy

• desertstars and BradFran like this

#9 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

I know, when did the term postpaid disappear? Ahhh, the good old days where you'd save your money and give it to your mom who would fill in the order form with a pen, write a check and put a stamp on the envelope and then you'd wait, and wait, and wait. As a kid, it always seemed like an eternity to get something shipped. No package tracking, no two-day shipping and only hope that you items would be in stock and sent.

Any of you do the Estes Rockets mail ordering as well? Eventually they began carrying them in my local hobby shop, but by then I had moved on?

Chesterguy

Yes, I remember that!

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

Yes. Gave it up years ago, but one rocket has survived the intervening decades and sits on a bookcase full of science fiction novels. 

#11 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:57 PM

What a marvelous keepsake. Does anyone know of anyone producing relief globes of the moon these days?  I have the S&T moon globe.  It's nice but a relief version would be phenomenal. 

#12 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

Chesterguy

There were three waiting periods. One was for your order form and check to get to the vendor. Maybe use air mail? Then the vendor had to process the order. And finally the item was sent to you. That whole process was generally 3 weeks minimum!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, moon, sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics