•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My take on the roll-off shed "observatory"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

More of a shelter than an observatory. Simple, yet sturdy and robust, and easy on the wallet. A simple 4x4 shed on casters that rolls on a track set in the ground. I'm up and running in 5 minutes grin.gif

I have since added deck boards around the pier for convenience when working on the rig. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0423.JPG
  • IMG_0424.JPG

• andicus, dmdouglass, brave_ulysses and 11 others like this

#2 freddylq

freddylq

Lift Off

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

Really nice & simple!

• kyle528 likes this

#3 jfaldo

jfaldo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

I remember as a youngster growing up in eastern Ohio being in some similar looking buildingsblush.gif lol.gif. Sorry couldn't resist. Looks like a really simple idea that would work really well actually. See you oriented it with the big tree behind it so no problem with obstructing view in that direction since it appears it's already obstructed. Getting ready to build a pier and been agonizing over how to enclose it and something like this may just be what I'm looking for. I also have an obstructing tree due west of where my pier will be. BTW some really nice photos in you're Astrobin.

• t-ara-fan and kyle528 like this

#4 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:29 PM

Very nice - is it critter proof?

• kyle528 likes this

#5 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

I remember as a youngster growing up in eastern Ohio being in some similar looking buildingsblush.gif lol.gif. Sorry couldn't resist. Looks like a really simple idea that would work really well actually. See you oriented it with the big tree behind it so no problem with obstructing view in that direction since it appears it's already obstructed. Getting ready to build a pier and been agonizing over how to enclose it and something like this may just be what I'm looking for. I also have an obstructing tree due west of where my pier will be. BTW some really nice photos in you're Astrobin.

You have no idea how many neighbors have made the same comment, or "where's the moon on the door?". When you look at it from the road or the house, it does look odd being set at an angle to pretty much everything else, but the idea was exactly what you noticed, to roll toward the tree, the only obstruction in my yard. 

#6 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:52 AM

Very nice - is it critter proof?

I'm still trying to work that out, the only opening is around the pier, and so far I haven't come up with an idea for closing that off. Would have to be something critter proof, but still needs to let the shed roll away. 

#7 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

Perhaps some plywood panels cut to fit around the pier with some steel wool stapled to the bottom so you can squish the steel wool down through the floor to fill any gaps?   Critters hate steel wool.

#8 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Perhaps some plywood panels cut to fit around the pier with some steel wool stapled to the bottom so you can squish the steel wool down through the floor to fill any gaps?   Critters hate steel wool.

Yes that would not be fun to chew through...

#9 Howard73

Howard73

Lift Off

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:46 AM

Nice simple idea. I may have to consider that. Why is it so high?

I used to live outside of Marietta. Where in SE Ohio?

• Panotaker likes this

#10 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

Nice simple idea. I may have to consider that. Why is it so high?

I used to live outside of Marietta. Where in SE Ohio?

It could stand to be shorter, but I liked the proportions of the higher design. I live about 10 minutes outside of Marietta. 

#11 jfaldo

jfaldo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:00 PM

Trying to decide the building for my new pier setup. Showed this to my wife and she thought it was pretty cool. Maybe a few tweaks and it could work fine in our situation. Will have the winter to think about it.

BTW if you jump on Rt7 and head northeast up to Jefferson County and take a left at Rayland go up the valley to Dillonvale I grew up and lived a large portion of my life on a farm near there. Will be there in a few weeks visiting. Looking forward to being there again.

#12 siriusarcher

siriusarcher

Ranger 4

• Loc: Canada

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

Love it! I bet that most thieves would think this was something other than an observatory and that if they opened it they would not find a telescope. In fact they might even give it a wide berth. You could play up that misperception with a cute little half-moon cut into the door! My question is, are you christening your observatory like many others do? :-)

Dave

#13 mic1970

mic1970

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

Very cool.

#14 Mryak

Mryak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:42 AM

Made this roll away for a friend a few years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• charlie's roll away.jpg

• kathyastro and Stevegeo like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics