•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

New Oberwerk 11x56 are here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:01 PM

The Manuf specs;
Oberwerk 11x56, FMC, BAK-4, FOV = 6d, exit pupil = 5mm, eye relief = 19mm, weight 2.25 lbs.

These seem to sell for the same price everywhere ($99), I ordered them from Optics Planet because they were in stock and included free UPS. They arrived in a timely manner in a well packed box.

I just started in astronomy 4 months ago so my knowledge is very limited. I have owned a pair of Jason 7x35’s (thought they were Tasco’s - shows how little attention I paid to them) for 20 years but it never occurred to me to point them skyward until a couple months ago. Think I gave $20 for them. They are fully coated. I enjoyed my recent adventures with the Jason’s enough to want a better set. I will use them as my base for comparison.

The Oberwerks are huge. They make my old binoculars look like Shetland ponies next to these Clydesdales, and these are the small end of the big binos. I can’t imagine hand holding anything bigger. I didn’t notice the weight of them so much as I just got tired from holding them. The rubberized coating on the body feels comfortable in your hands. The rubber eye cups are very soft and pliable. I wear glasses for near-sightedness and to correct for astigmatism. I didn’t fold the eyecups back – just pressed them against the glasses. This worked fine.

Although the FOV is about the same through both, the feel is completely different. The view through the Obies is like looking through a picture window compared to the peep hole with the Jasons. I notice a lot of black around the FOV in the Jasons. All I notice in the Obies is FOV. The black is there you just don’t notice because the view is so big.

I found out how little I know about the spring skies on the two nights I have taken them out. By the second night I had a small handful of constellations figured out. First night just scanned the skies at random. At one point I said, “Wow that looks like a swarm of bees” – checked the chart and it was the beehive cluster (duh). Absolutely gorgeous through the Obies. Visible but not very exciting in the Jasons.

Next looked at Jupiter which to my surprise appears as a disk at 11x. I could definitely see two moons easily and a third kept coming in and out of view. With the Jasons Jupiter was not really discernable as a disk and I could only make out one moon and only then I think because I knew it was there.

I noticed when Jupiter was just out of the FOV I would get a reflection of it in the black area outside the view. I did not try this without the glasses so I am not sure if it is the binos or the glasses reflecting. It wasn’t particularly annoying just a curiosity.

I also observed what I thought was the nebula M-1 through them. It spanned maybe a fourth of the FOV. After spotting it with the 11x56's I could then see it in the 7x35's and then with bare eyes. It was faint but looked far more impressive to me than Star Watch had prepared me expect. I have since been informed that this was not M-1. What was it? I have no idea - which only makes me more curious.

Final thoughts, I did not notice any spikes, flaring, or streaks through the Oberwerks but again I am a beginner with 48 year old eyes. All I saw was points of light. I will definitely be adding a tripod adapter in the very near future because of the weight and because I found it difficult to hold these steady. The only negative I have with these binoculars is the rubber lens cover that spans across both eyepieces – it doesn’t stay on real well. Otherwise these are a major improvement over the 7x35’s a joy to look through and an excellent addition to my frugal astronomy arsenal.

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:13 PM

Kevin,
My 11x56 obies are the best binos I have ever owned. That isn't saying much, but they are a big step up from the cheapies I have used in the past. I am very happy with them, and I will be buying more binos from Oberwerks in the future. Nice report with good detail.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:40 PM

addition to my review - I went out tonight before the skies became overcast :mad: This time I folded back the eyecups and viewed with glasses. I kept getting blackout views. So I decided real quick that the eyecups will remain extended from now on. At least until I get them mounted on a tripod.

Scott- I read your earlier review of the 11x56's and to a great extent it was responsible for my final decision to buy them. THANKS! :woot:

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:44 AM

Kevin,

Thanks for your first impressions ( which as the saying goes -- go a LONG LONG way )

I think you'll be even more impressed once you get them tripod mounted.

Clear Skies , Kenny.

#5 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:52 AM

Kevin,
You are welcome Sir, glad I could help out. I am more impressed with these each time I take them out. I may mount them eventually, but they are great handheld.

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:29 AM

The Manuf specs;
Oberwerk 11x56, FMC, BAK-4, FOV = 6d, exit pupil = 4.5mm,

11 x 56 would have an exit pupil of 5.1mm. Must be a manf. specs print error.

I also observed a nebula (M-1) through them. It spanned maybe a fourth of the FOV.

M1 measures only 6 arcmin across. It would take up only 1/60th of the field of view. Were you perhaps observing M42, the Orion nebula?

edz

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:14 AM

11 x 56 would have an exit pupil of 5.1mm. Must be a manf. specs print error.

M1 measures only 6 arcmin across. It would take up only 1/60th of the field of view. Were you perhaps observing M42, the Orion nebula?

I originally wrote then changed that I was not certain what I was observing. It definately was not M42. On 4-14-2004 at 9:30 PM I was observing at approx 275d Az and 35d Alt. I observed the same fuzzy patch the next two nights so it was not atmospheric. Was it a globular instead? I don't know and should have left that in my review. The sky was pretty washed out (overcast) last night and I could still see it though the size was much smaller than my orizinal zealous report. I would still say it was far bigger than 1/60th FOV. So what did I see?

As for the exit pupil I did say it was manuf specs. I will do some research on this.

#8 nemo

nemo

Ranger 4

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

Kevin,
Those little fuzzy devils can be hard to ID some times. Our Mr. Ed is a stickler for detail and accuracy as I would imagine it is important to the credibility of the forum. Do not however let this prevent you from writing about more of your observations and experiences. Most of us enjoy reading them simply due to the unique point of view that each person here has to offer. I look forward to your future contributions.
Respectfully,
Dan

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2004 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Dan, it is Ed's job to protect this forum so thank you Ed for holding us to a higher standard - I was not offended, hope my response did not suggest differently. I revised my original post (a little). I checked Oberwerks official site and they do list these as 5mm exit pupil. Then checked several vendors sites - half reported 5 half listed 4.5. Why the difference? Who knows. Point is I am very happy with my purchase at the moment. Got to get that tripod adapter though - went looking today, can't buy one locally.

#10 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:06 PM

IMHO, the two best tripod adapters are Orion's deluxe (search in accessories), the simple tall L bracket and Universal Astronomic's deluxe. UA's is by far the best. Orion's is thicker metal and taller than most simple L brackets. Both sell in the high 20s. UA's allows the binocs freedom of movement to tilt a little left right.

edz

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:09 AM

Is it probable I was viewing m35? According to the description in Star Watch it is an open cluster visible to the naked eye about a half degree in size and appears as a hazy patch in low power binoculars. Forgiving my inability to judge size it sounds like what I saw and is in the right neighborhood.

Ed - thanks for the adapter leads.

#12 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:48 AM

If you can get a scrap piece of 3"x3"x1/4" aluminum angle, the L-adapters are easily made. Cut off a piece about 1" wide, narrow it to about 1/2" where the binos. mount, drill and tap holes, and you're set. If you have the tools, these can be made for less than $1 each, and will be quite strong.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics