•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewer on a C14 expectations

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

For several year I have been using binoviews With my C11 at home and at public star parties. I use 21mm, 68 degree, Baader eyepieces on my binoview and they are the best ones I have tried yet. The star parties my astronomy club has are usually well attended and I seem to get a lot of people coming back over to my scope to see objects in the sky with two eyes. One woman asked to see the Ring Nebula so we went there. She seemed very impressed with the view and sat there for several minutes expressing amazement on how good it looked. When I looked I saw a large image with a deep blue color and a surprising amount of detail. My guest said she had never seen M57 look quite so good and that she had been to a lot of star parties. Globular star clusters are not as bright with my binoviewer but detail and the perception of depth seems to be much better. 

I ordered a C14 edge this week and I am really looking forward to using my binoviewer on it. If any of you use that combination or have been able to spend some time looking,  I would love to hear from you. I guess I am just a little impatient to get the big scope and it is backordered and could take an extra week or two to get it.frown.gif

• Tyson M likes this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

I have a similar focal length scope and is curious as well.

• Jeffmar likes this

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

cricket.gif

#4 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

cricket.gif

That is funny! You and I must the only people on our planet that have any interest in talking about it. Patience is good. Right?

• Tyson M likes this

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

IME  my C14 (non-edge) and it was amazing with BV's (mainly used it for DSO's).

Large Globs (M3/5/11/13) were jaw-dropping.  I found the brightness of views in the C14 + BV

were close to the C11 in mono-mode.

I suspect you'll be floored when you get your first look, I know I was

• Jeffmar likes this

#6 Peter Glus

Peter Glus

Mariner 2

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

I have had a C14 and now have the 16" LX200.  I used the Mark IVs, then switched to the Denks, and now have the large Seibert Black Nights.  The combination of a large SCT with a good set of binos is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.  I focus on lunar, globular clusters, nebula (with filters), and remote galaxies.  If you want to scan the sky you can always get a 4-5 inch refactor, but this is in my opinion the best way to enjoy the mysteries of the night sky. 

• REC and Jeffmar like this

#7 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

I have had a C14 and now have the 16" LX200.  I used the Mark IVs, then switched to the Denks, and now have the large Seibert Black Nights.  The combination of a large SCT with a good set of binos is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.  I focus on lunar, globular clusters, nebula (with filters), and remote galaxies.  If you want to scan the sky you can always get a 4-5 inch refactor, but this is in my opinion the best way to enjoy the mysteries of the night sky. 

The view that binos give on that 16" SCT must be amazing. I have some pretty good eyepieces on my not so expensive binoviewer mounted on my C11. It gives some really killer views of planets and some star clusters. I get a lot of oohs and awes and a few OMG's from people at public star parties my local astronomy club does all summer. Binoviewers brought me back to visual from the deep dark pit of astrophotography. Okay, I am kidding a little bit, but even when I am imaging I spend time doing visual with both eyes. Thanks for the reply. I am really looking forward to using my binoviewers with the bigger scope.

#8 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:11 PM

IME  my C14 (non-edge) and it was amazing with BV's (mainly used it for DSO's).

Large Globs (M3/5/11/13) were jaw-dropping.  I found the brightness of views in the C14 + BV

were close to the C11 in mono-mode.

I suspect you'll be floored when you get your first look, I know I was

Great comparison! I was sure it would be brighter but it sounds like it might even be better than I thought. For years I thought I wanted huge binoculars, like a pair of C8's put together, but bought binoviewers instead. With a large enough scope I wonder if anyone could tell the difference between looking through binoviewers or huge binoculars? I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

#9 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:25 PM

RE: "With a large enough scope I wonder if anyone could tell the difference between looking through binoviewers or huge binoculars?"

Well, let me say what the results are with a small scope (127mm Mak) vs. a 25x100 binocular.

For planets, the scope with a BV wins hands down. Not sure why but I can see more detail on Jupiter and Saturn using a BV as opposed to using a single lens of equal power. Anyone else experience this benefit?

For Lunar viewing its a toss up. There's a "kick" you get with a BV that only BV users know about. For me the binocular gives a "crisper" image.

On DSOs the images appear "brighter" with the binocular, plus you have a wider FOV so you can shoe horn more into your observation.

Getting this BV turned my Mak into a whole new instrument. The desire to purchase a bigger scope ended with the BV acquisition. It just makes things more, er, um, "fun".

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 08 September 2019 - 09:28 PM.

#10 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

On nights with good seeing the images of Jupiter, Saturn, and the Moon I can get with my C11/binoviewer combo are just amazing. When I am doing public star parties I often slew from top to the bottom of the moon slowly for people looking through my binoviewer/sct. It's always a hit. If I could find a nice, portable, inexpensive 30 inch sct I could put my binoviewer on, I would get it. 

#11 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

On nights with good seeing the images of Jupiter, Saturn, and the Moon I can get with my C11/binoviewer combo are just amazing. When I am doing public star parties I often slew from top to the bottom of the moon slowly for people looking through my binoviewer/sct. It's always a hit. If I could find a nice, portable, inexpensive 30 inch sct I could put my binoviewer on, I would get it. 

What binoviewer are you using with the C11?

#12 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

What binoviewer are you using with the C11?

I have a Celestron binoviewer with Baader 21mm 68 degree eyepieces. 

#13 Piggled

Piggled

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

I have used my Williams optics BV with my 14” Meade acf and the views are insane. I live in the center of the city of San Francisco and the views of planets and moon are jaw dropping even in bottle 8 sky’s. The dsos don’t come through that clear for me, but that is to be expected. This definitely doesn’t help you, but when i take my scope on a trip at the end of October, ill report back, although you’ll have your edge14 by then.
  • Jeffmar likes this

#14 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

I have used my Williams optics BV with my 14” Meade acf and the views are insane. I live in the center of the city of San Francisco and the views of planets and moon are jaw dropping even in bottle 8 sky’s. The dsos don’t come through that clear for me, but that is to be expected. This definitely doesn’t help you, but when i take my scope on a trip at the end of October, ill report back, although you’ll have your edge14 by then.

My C14 is supposed to be arriving Tuesday the 17th. I keep checking UPS tracking but it just isn't making things go any faster. 

I would really like to hear how things go and what you see on your trip. My binoviewer has kept me doing visual astronomy more often. When I spend too much time with my camera on my telescopes I think I lose a bit of the wonder looking through eyepieces give me. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics