•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LS 8 Install Software/Firmware from MiniSD problem

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

Sparky59,

Did you try 1.6d?   I had a problem last night where my video monitor stopped Displaying, I tested it’s the scope, and I think the Eclipse camera stopped working.  It was High clouds and bright moon, I hope to test tonight to understand The camera align situation.   My fear is the Video Circuit on the main board took A hit But I don’t know. Nice to know I can try 1.6d.  Gives me hope.   

The only thing that changed last night is as I added that new meade power supply that I picked up because I was taking my daughter out to dark skies. We will know more when the clouds clear.  Seems like it’s always something.   

Does anyone know where I can download version 1.6d of the firmware.  I'm having the sames problems as mentioned previously with version 1.6e.  Unfortunately, I can't find version 1.6d anywhere on the web.  Thanks in advance!

#27 lucassaldanha

lucassaldanha

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

Hi GeoSwa, I had the same problem and it seems the 1.6E version Meade is distributing is defective. After successfully creating the card and get read by the telescope and started the process, in the end asks to take the card out and turn the telescope but it asks to press enter to copy sd to nand again. After some juggling (my bad totally) I've inserted the card and pressed enter. When booted the eclips enclosure went in a white smoke and very strong burn smell. Now when I try to preview, even inside in bright lights it's all black. I'll send to a electronic technician I know but it would be super to reach a new eclips board.
Meade support is disastrous. Send me this firmware that don't work (only worked the 1.6D I've found it here), and a firmware able to burn a board is completely nuts... Also
maybe it's corrupted or there's a base programming on the ICs that does this.... I really don't know but I've saw it happening and couldn't believed.
Since I wasn't able to update, Meade support keep saying over the email that my telescope was gone and there wasn't support anymore not a repair anymore (see below if not here is the link: https://www.dropbox....3.24.png?dl=0).
Screen%20Shot%202020-07-14%20at%2022.13.

• GeoSwa2010 likes this

#28 WGWheeler

WGWheeler

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Illinois, USA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:30 PM

Hi GeoSwa, I had the same problem and it seems the 1.6E version Meade is distributing is defective. After successfully creating the card and get read by the telescope and started the process, in the end asks to take the card out and turn the telescope but it asks to press enter to copy sd to nand again. After some juggling (my bad totally) I've inserted the card and pressed enter. When booted the eclips enclosure went in a white smoke and very strong burn smell. Now when I try to preview, even inside in bright lights it's all black. I'll send to a electronic technician I know but it would be super to reach a new eclips board.
Meade support is disastrous. Send me this firmware that don't work (only worked the 1.6D I've found it here), and a firmware able to burn a board is completely nuts... Also
maybe it's corrupted or there's a base programming on the ICs that does this.... I really don't know but I've saw it happening and couldn't believed.
Since I wasn't able to update, Meade support keep saying over the email that my telescope was gone and there wasn't support anymore not a repair anymore (see below if not here is the link: https://www.dropbox....3.24.png?dl=0).

NOTE:  Meade Customer Support is Closed Indefinitely.

Phone message indicates this is due to the COVID-19 virus.  They recommend emailing, but I've received no reply to my queries or even an acknowledgement that they've been received after weeks and several emails.

The news on the LS-8 just keeps getting worse . . . (sigh). 
-

I bought the LS-8 ACF years back and it definitely didn't work out of the box.  I was working full time trying to start a company and after a couple of nights and weekends trying to sort it out, gave up and put it in the closet.  Now years later with time on my hands, I pulled the scope back out and really started working on sleuthing out the trouble.
-

That led me to the GPS time and date issue that was supposedly fixed by firmware version 1.6e.  The scope is version 1.6a.  Through this board I tracked down the 1.6e update and downloaded via Dropbox (Really? What is wrong with this company?)  After many attempts to create an SD card to update the scope using a mini-SD adapter and a card formatted to 1Gb and FAT-32 - no joy.  I even tried just plain FAT, but still no go.  No errors from the scope like a flashing red light on the switch.  Scope bootup is delayed with the card in so the device definitely knows there's a card in the slot.  However, after a few minutes the scope reverts to it's regular bootup routine and never initiates the firmware update.
-

I ordered an original Sandisk 1Gb mini-SD still in it's original packaging.  While hoping that will work, per lucassaldanha, Iit seems I suddenly have to worry that I'll smoke my scope if I succeed at the 1.6e update!!!  Good grief!

-

Right now, even with the time, date and location set manually, the scope couldn't even get Jupiter into the field of view the other night, let alone come close to centering. A good finder scope saved the evening, but this is just sad.
-

If anyone has a good email for someone at Meade Technical Support or advice on installing updated firmware, please help a newbie out and pass it along.  Any help is most humbly appreciated..

-

Thanks and best regards to all!

#29 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

Gday WGWheeler

No errors from the scope like a flashing red light on the switch.  Scope bootup is delayed with the card in so the device definitely knows there's a card in the slot.  However, after a few minutes the scope reverts to it's regular bootup routine and never initiates the firmware update.

That sounds like you have the wrong file loaded first on the card.

The LS firmware normally operates like a PC with a BIOS and C: drive.

There is a master file called C:\Firmware.bin that is the boot file that normally starts it up.

If there is a card in the SD slot when booting, the BIOS treats it like an old style bootable floppy and will try to boot from it first. If it cant start from the card, the switch LED blinks, but otherwise it just starts and runs the bootstrap firmware

on the card.

The fact yours starts properly ( after a while ), would indicate you have got the file names mixed up somewhere

when creating the SD card.

Not sure for the latest firmwares, but early on,

there was a "Firmware.bin" file in the "Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\" directory

This is the special Bootfile that starts and then loads firmware to the mount.

Then you have the individual file directories for each of the LX firmware versions

I have one called "Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\ETX_LS16A\"

In this directory there is also a Firmware.bin file and a series of subdirectories for the data

This Firmware.bin file is the true one that starts the scope ( and gets copied onto the LS C: drive during the load )

To get around having 2 Firmware.bin files, what Meade did was copy the master Firmware.bin onto the SD card

as FIRMWARE.bin ( and it had to be the first file copied on after the format )

The SD cards drive was named as "EFINDERETX"

They then renamed the version specific Firmware.bin to FlashFirmware.bin and copied it to the card second.

On booting, the Firmware.bin on the card simply copies and renames the FlashFirmware.bin file

to the mounts C: drive as Firmware.bin.

As a simple check, if you have a hex editor, just open each of the firmware.bin/flashFirmware.bin files

and search for NAND.

It should only be in the master file.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• GeoSwa2010 and WGWheeler like this

#30 sandiegogazer

sandiegogazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

Hello All, 

Long time lurker, early poster now. 

I recently purchased an LS 6". The autostar kept repeatedly telling me to reinstall firmware. I went through the process via USB B as I did not have any SD cards available at the time. The Autostar Suite update said I successfully uploaded it. Upon the power cycle though the autostar  now turns on but nothing appearss on the display. The unit also has no control and will not go through its gps search function. I am assuming the firmware crashed and I now need to start over on the download. 

I attempted to do so via USB  B but the system cannot find the telescope for more than a minute or two. It is registered on the laptop and discovered but the ASU cannot find it. If I use **** I can sometimes use the remote handbox for a short period of time before the software crashes. I have no access to eclips or any of the features. 

I purchased the SD card and received the file to do it that way. Will i need to install microsoft 7 to do it though? If so does anyone have an emulator to get that on my computer. I would be happy to buy a pre-built SD card too if anyone has one available. Meade is attempting to avoid selling one to me, I am assuming due to delays with Covid and the majority if not all staff are remote now. 

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by sandiegogazer, 06 August 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#31 Dladams76

Dladams76

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:49 PM

Did you ever resolve this issue. I also have a blank display and cannot successfully make an update card.

#32 sandiegogazer

sandiegogazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:27 PM

I have yet to resolve the issue.  Meade hasn't gotten back to me in 9 days now either. 
I may purchase the skyfi system and see if that will override the hand box. I was hoping to not do that though.

Did you ever resolve this issue. I also have a blank display and cannot successfully make an update card.

#33 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

I have solved my problem for my LS8, manufactured In February 2011.  I learned to make the SD card and you must follow the exact instructions on the read me file.   Or, if anyone wants, you can send me an SD card, no larger than 2 GB, and no less than .5 GB, and I can make you one.

I have seen a problem where the scope will not accept a firmware update.  I’m Presently chatting with someone in New Zealand, and I know a person who in Arizona who has a similar problem.  Here’s what I don’t know, is there card programmed correctly or not?  

I have but only one proper Mini sd card.  I ordered 5 2GB cards, 4GB arrived, totally useless.   

email is GeoSwa2010@gmail.com

I can at least make a good card and that’s about my only claim to fame. and I will gladly help anyone.

thanks,

george

• MikeBY likes this

#34 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

I had to read and learn this process to create the memory.  And the card needs to be created on a Window 7 machine,  At least that’s what I’ve learned.   

Gday WGWheeler

That sounds like you have the wrong file loaded first on the card.

The LS firmware normally operates like a PC with a BIOS and C: drive.

There is a master file called C:\Firmware.bin that is the boot file that normally starts it up.

If there is a card in the SD slot when booting, the BIOS treats it like an old style bootable floppy and will try to boot from it first. If it cant start from the card, the switch LED blinks, but otherwise it just starts and runs the bootstrap firmware

on the card.

The fact yours starts properly ( after a while ), would indicate you have got the file names mixed up somewhere

when creating the SD card.

Not sure for the latest firmwares, but early on,

there was a "Firmware.bin" file in the "Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\" directory

This is the special Bootfile that starts and then loads firmware to the mount.

Then you have the individual file directories for each of the LX firmware versions

I have one called "Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\ETX_LS16A\"

In this directory there is also a Firmware.bin file and a series of subdirectories for the data

This Firmware.bin file is the true one that starts the scope ( and gets copied onto the LS C: drive during the load )

To get around having 2 Firmware.bin files, what Meade did was copy the master Firmware.bin onto the SD card

as FIRMWARE.bin ( and it had to be the first file copied on after the format )

The SD cards drive was named as "EFINDERETX"

They then renamed the version specific Firmware.bin to FlashFirmware.bin and copied it to the card second.

On booting, the Firmware.bin on the card simply copies and renames the FlashFirmware.bin file

to the mounts C: drive as Firmware.bin.

As a simple check, if you have a hex editor, just open each of the firmware.bin/flashFirmware.bin files

and search for NAND.

It should only be in the master file.

• WGWheeler likes this

#35 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:55 PM

Holy cow, the upgrade fried a board.  That’s crazy!  I’m back up and running without any problems...   thankfully no smoke.  There is a company in St Augustine that may have parts

#36 ewoktech

ewoktech

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:20 AM

Mmm seems to be a thing with meade.... 

Got a preloaded mini sd from optic in uk.

6 weeks to get here with covid delays. Put un and turned on got copy sd to nand, press any key.. 

Pushed enter and displayed dimed... 12 hours later still shows copy sd to nand, press any key...

So turned off scope expecting it to be a anchor.. 

And boots up dhowing 1.6a????

Havent tried it again...

Any clues?? 

#37 WGWheeler

WGWheeler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:58 PM

After not being able to successfully create a 1.6e firmware disk trying every trick mentioned on this board or others: Windows 7 computers, authentic 1Gb mini card, files copied one at a time per instructions so the boot/read order was correct etc., I finally managed to brick my scope. I will say that I even tried previous updates 1.6d and 1.6b/c to no effect.

So, called Meade and learned that customer support is closed for the duration due to COVID.  Phone message said to send an email, and with no small amount of skepticism, I launched said email to Meade asking to purchase the 1.6e firmware.  It took about a week to hear back, but hear back I did.  Each step in the communication took about a week, but in about a month I had the genuine Meade supplied miniSD I hand.  It will come by standard mail - there’s not an option to expedite shipping.

I stuck it in the scope, turned it on, and everything proceeded exactly as advertised.  Scope booted up with 1.6e and it appears I’m back in business.  I can’t tell you what Meade’s “magic sauce” is that causes their miniSD to work where the one’s I created would not.  The files and order look identical when I compare.  I’m pretty tech savvy and looked at the files block by block and haven’t found a difference. So, if despite all the good advice posted here you’re still stuck and frustrated like I was  I’d recommend getting the miniSD with the update from Meade for around $20.  

All I can say is that when everything else failed, the Meade supplied firmware brought my scope back from the dead.  I haven’t had a chance to actually get outside with my scope to check accuracy and alignment, but everything that didn’t work in the “static” test previously is working now.  Instead of a bricked scope, it now seems to work including the GPS functionality.  

When I have a chance to get the scope outside, I’ll post an update of how it goes.

That’s what worked for me anyway.  Best regards to all - Bill

• GeoSwa2010 likes this

#38 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:19 PM

Could it be that the card was formatted FAT instead of FAT32 with auto sector sizes?

#39 WGWheeler

WGWheeler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:48 PM

Card formatting was something I also suspected. I had to reformat the card I was trying to create on my own right as most larger capacity cards come formatted as exFAT.  Initially, I tried repartitioning both a 32 Gb and 64 Gb cards down to 1 or 2 Gb FAT32 partitions.  When this was unsuccessful, I tried tried plain old FAT despite what I’d read about needing FAT32.  

When that didn’t worked, I ordered actual 1Gb miniSD cards via eBay.  They’re pretty much antiques at this point.  I ordered cards that we’re new in their original packaging.  The first was counterfeit- just a piece of plastic in an adapter. (Recall how expensive memory was back in the day).  The second was the genuine article, came formatted from the factory in FAT32 and I still had zero luck.  I even tried a bit-copy utility that literally lays the files down but-by-bit with checksum verification.  

I honestly initially thought making the requisite disk would be a breeze once I had sleuthed out where to get the zip files with the firmware.  Not so as it turned out.  About the only thing I can think of is that the zip archive that Meade put out there on  LONG time ago is corrupt in some way.  It’s not obvious as I have compared the contents of that archive with the files on the miniSD Meade sent me.  I know plenty of people seem to have had success with the Dropbox based archive previously, but I definitely did not.

Im reluctant to go too overboard dissecting the Meade supplied miniSD card for fear of somehow corrupting the files on it.  I shouldn’t ever need it again, but . . .  

• GeoSwa2010 likes this

#40 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:05 PM

I have a 2GB card and I'm trying to do this as well.  The one file that confuses me is the "flashfirmware.bin" file.  There is no file like this in the download from dropbox.  There is a firmware.bin outside of the folder and a firmware.bin inside the folder.

Should I rename the one inside the folder to "flashfirmware.bin"?

Here is what I read in another post that evidently came from Meade readme file:

Lightswitch SD card instructions

1. Format a 1GB or 2GB SD card to FAT32 (use default allocation size sectors).
2. Copy FIRMWARE.bin to the SD card (must be done before the next step).
3. Copy FlashFirmware.bin to the SD card.
4. Copy the Maps, Menus, Objects, Tours and User folders to the SD card.
5. The SD card is now ready for use in Lightswitch telescopes.

Now, rather than leave the card with no name, I named it EFINDERETX (which is what ASU names it), as it might be needed by the internal bootstrap reading from A:\ (SD card).

Edited by audioengr, 18 August 2020 - 05:09 PM.

#41 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:56 PM

Great information and my scope was brick too, I used that phrase as well.  Like you, I’m just glad to be up and running!   Thanks for sharing!  I’m learning.  

Card formatting was something I also suspected. I had to reformat the card I was trying to create on my own right as most larger capacity cards come formatted as exFAT.  Initially, I tried repartitioning both a 32 Gb and 64 Gb cards down to 1 or 2 Gb FAT32 partitions.  When this was unsuccessful, I tried tried plain old FAT despite what I’d read about needing FAT32.  

When that didn’t worked, I ordered actual 1Gb miniSD cards via eBay.  They’re pretty much antiques at this point.  I ordered cards that we’re new in their original packaging.  The first was counterfeit- just a piece of plastic in an adapter. (Recall how expensive memory was back in the day).  The second was the genuine article, came formatted from the factory in FAT32 and I still had zero luck.  I even tried a bit-copy utility that literally lays the files down but-by-bit with checksum verification.  

I honestly initially thought making the requisite disk would be a breeze once I had sleuthed out where to get the zip files with the firmware.  Not so as it turned out.  About the only thing I can think of is that the zip archive that Meade put out there on  LONG time ago is corrupt in some way.  It’s not obvious as I have compared the contents of that archive with the files on the miniSD Meade sent me.  I know plenty of people seem to have had success with the Dropbox based archive previously, but I definitely did not.

Im reluctant to go too overboard dissecting the Meade supplied miniSD card for fear of somehow corrupting the files on it.  I shouldn’t ever need it again, but . . .  

#42 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:08 PM

Gday Audioengr

FlashFirmware.bin is the renamed  "version specific" Firmware.bin

If you read my earlier post above, it explains how ASU created the SD card and the way it renames files.

The simplest test if you have a Hex editor is the very first file that gets loaded to the card after formatting

is the master/bootable Firmware.bin. If you do a text search of the file, it should find "NAND"

The second file loaded is FlashFirmware.bin, and this will not have "NAND" in it.

#43 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

Gday Audioengr

FlashFirmware.bin is the renamed  "version specific" Firmware.bin

If you read my earlier post above, it explains how ASU created the SD card and the way it renames files.

The simplest test if you have a Hex editor is the very first file that gets loaded to the card after formatting

is the master/bootable Firmware.bin. If you do a text search of the file, it should find "NAND"

The second file loaded is FlashFirmware.bin, and this will not have "NAND" in it.

Excellent thanks and g'day.

#44 lucassaldanha

lucassaldanha

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:30 PM

Hi OzAndrewJ, saw all your posts, but in 1.6E zip, AU only copy 1 Firmware.bin. There's not a FlashFirmware.bin on the card made from AU 6.1 (or inside the 1.6E folder for that matter). I've tried to get the FIRMWARE.bin on the root of AU and rename it to FlashFirmware.bin without sucess.
I'm only able to install the 1.6D version, that's the only one with two .bin files.

Any other tricks?

Cheers,

Edited by lucassaldanha, 18 August 2020 - 07:49 PM.

#45 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:23 PM

Gday Lucas

I cant comment for 1.6E as i never downloaded it.

Do you have a directory structure for what was in that file????

There was a thread a while back where someone described how to get it and create a card but i cant find it at present.

In my case, my full installation of ASSuite created a master firmware.bin as

Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\Firmware.bin

645,626 bytes 10-Apr-2009

( This is like the Dos "bootdisk" floppy, and contains the word NAND in several spots )

On downloading the 1.6A update it created

Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\ETX_LS16A\Firmware.bin

( This is like the master boot file that is placed onto the C:\drive in the mount )

This file is the one that gets renamed to FlashFirmware.bin by ASU when it makes the SD card.

( I will check whats actually on the SD cards i have, as i have several variants. )

edit

I'm only able to install the 1.6D version,

If you can get the mount running, you should be able to update it using the USB port

It is basically a very high speed USB2rs232 converter and can be used to load the firmware.

( At least it could be used as i did it several times )

IIRC, you need to set some flow control settings, but it does(did) work.

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 18 August 2020 - 08:26 PM.

#46 lucassaldanha

lucassaldanha

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

Thanks OzAndrewJ, yes that's what I suspected. But tried to copy this file on the root (same date same size) first without avail.
I've found another link (not from MEADE) and the 1.6E.zip had two .bin files.
I've managed to use AU to make the miniSD card sucessufully but the Telescope just hangs (lightswitch solid red, not blinking). Tried the readme method of formating (and giving the same name EFINDERETX) FAT32 in default allocation and copying mannualy FIRMWARE.bin first, than flashFirmeware.bin than the folders and same thing happens. The telescope just shows nothing on the screens. I know that the miniSD card and those methods work because I've sucessfully updated the 1.6D, but I think this version is buggy (can't let me skipping to a covered star on 2 star aligment, some quirks and autoalign doesn't work).
Any 1.6 link that for sure works (A,B,C,D,E)?
Thanks

Edited by lucassaldanha, 18 August 2020 - 08:27 PM.

#47 lucassaldanha

lucassaldanha

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:46 PM

Regarding update trough USB, the first time I did this the telescope got briked (that's why I had to run to get a minisd). And when I connect to the mount it tries to download through the internet an update, since there's nothing it updates nothing.

(I had 1.6D and 1.6E folders inside /Updater and could create card) but I'm unable to update locally through USB.

I don't think it's the card. I had many interations of those ****, some didn't work, but this is a native minisd, it works perfectly with 1.6D (but this version I didn't like).

Thanks

Edited by lucassaldanha, 18 August 2020 - 08:50 PM.

#48 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:46 PM

Gday Lucas

I just looked at my cards and whats on my PC

The master Firmware.bin on my PC is 1.01

The versions on all my cards is 1.3 ??? ( 658,912 bytes 30-Nov-2009 )

I have no idea how i got them, but i was doing early testing of the LS

so might have been sent them by Meade. Too long ago :-)

Have attached the boot secor and key data for one of my cards.

As to updating via USB, IIRC you needed to use properly signed drivers

to connect, as Meade use some of the flow control settings.

It ran at something like 933K baud

I have a copy of the drivers, but no idea if it works on anything later than Win XP

as i never tried later OS's.

SD Clusters.jpg

#49 lucassaldanha

lucassaldanha

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:47 PM

Thanks OzAndrewJ.

The Firmware.bin is  1.01 on mine when it loads.

I've managed to update 1.6E using a microsd on a minisd adapter but the same thing happens: when asks to take out the card and restart it loads with 1.6E version than asks to copy do nand again (that's what got me into the somoke and I didn't want to fiddle with that). Trying another 1.6E link I've scavanged here in the forum and will see what will happen.

So it appears to be the miniSD, it's finiky, it readed the 1.6D but after that (using AU the same thing, same windows 7) it doesn't recognize on the telescope anymore. It's horrible.
Do you have the 1.6A for any chance there? Because the 1.6D is giving me a lot of problems and would not want to go back to it.

Regarding the drivers I have them. I can connect to the telescope fina, retrieve everything from it and send. But when I click update it tries to do over the internet and doesn't open the option to choose between the folders of versions locally so it updates a blank firmware and then bricks the scope :p Maybe forcing disconnect to the internet in order for the AU not have the option to connect, but didn't want to start from scracth on a bricked scope right now :p

Thanks

Edited by lucassaldanha, 18 August 2020 - 10:51 PM.

#50 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:58 AM

Gday Lucas

when asks to take out the card and restart it loads with 1.6E version than asks to copy do nand again

Do you have a hex editor???

The fact that AFTER you removed the card from the slot and restarted, it still said "nand" is interesting.

My actual firmwares doesnt have that word in them at all, hence why i used it as a test.

It almost sounds like a bootable version of the firmware got loaded to the mount??

ie the boot procedure appears to be

if a disk is in the slot, boot from SD:\Firmeware.bin

if no disk, then boot from C:\Firmware.bin

So it appears to be the miniSD, it's finiky, it readed the 1.6D but after that (using AU the same thing, same windows 7) it doesn't recognize on the telescope anymore. It's horrible.

Yep. I have one true mini and 2 micros in mini adapters

and all are flaky to get the PC to recognise them when using a full size converter.

I put some deoxit on the contacts, and that helped a bit, but its not always working.

But when I click update it tries to do over the internet

IIRC Yep. I just disconnected from the net and ran it.

You need to be connected to the scope in order for it to check model

but just select LS and when it fails to connect to the net,

it lets you work from the PC.  ( That was from 10 yrs ago tho )

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics