•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LS 8 Install Software/Firmware from MiniSD problem

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:18 AM

Gday Lucas

I have nowhere to upload a file of that size, but on digging,

this thread sounds a lot like what you are seeing

https://www.cloudyni...m/#entry9610803

Maybe have a squizz at it over a beer or 2 and see what happens.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#52 AstroBod

AstroBod

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

Hi,

Newbie.

I am after the 1.6E.zip update for Meade LS-8

"dtrego" posted it a few months ago, but that Dropbox link has been deleted.

Why bother updating.

Umm - i accidentally cleared the LS-8 memory completely.

I bricked it.

Yeah - I know.

Newbie & idiot.

I thought i was clearing the Comet/Asteroid/Sat data - not the whole lot.

Oooooops.

Mark, Also from Melbourne, Australia.

#53 dtrego

dtrego

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

Newbie.

I am after the 1.6E.zip update for Meade LS-8

"dtrego" posted it a few months ago, but that Dropbox link has been deleted.

Why bother updating.

Umm - i accidentally cleared the LS-8 memory completely.

I bricked it.

Yeah - I know.

Newbie & idiot.

Oooooops.

I did happen to copy their dropbox link to my own dropbox at the time, but thought it better to refer folks to the link that Meade sent me. Since that's gone now, though, try this one:

https://www.dropbox....6E (1).zip?dl=0

Hope it works, but no warranty expressed or implied! Be sure to follow the instructions in the README.txt file for the best chance of creating a working card.

Best of luck getting your scope going again - 

Dwayne

• ILuckyLukeI likes this

#54 AstroBod

AstroBod

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for that Dwayne.

The fact an official Meade app like ASU so effortlessly did this - suggests it's all normal procedure & can be undone.

I am hopeful.

I await my miniSD from China (never owned one).

Cheers

Mark  from Melbourne, Australia.

#55 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:13 PM

Gday Mark

Oooooops.

I didnt think you could wipe out the LS firmware by just doing a cleanout of the user data.

Thats a novel trick :-)

In that case ( based on the current weather forecast ) you will have plenty of time to recover it.

#56 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

I needed to update a LS 8 that I recently bought used. from 1.5f software. 

I got the download from Meade support. Yesterday I tried the USB cable. - it updated but then said to restart the scope.

I did, and I on reboot the handset said ver 1.6e and then went to Copy SD to NAND, press any key.

Today, I built an SD card (I had a microSD 2G card and bought an adapter to miniSD). 

I booted the scope from SD card, and after the 3rd attempt, the scope, the handset said copy from SD to NAND, I hit enter and the copy process started. Somewhile later, after seeing copy/verify messages for various files, it said that it was complete and to restart.

I turned off the power switch, removed the SD card and powered on.

The handset came up with Ver 1.6e and then went to 'Copy SD to NAND' press any key.

again!!! 

So.. whatever happened, maybe the load failed.

I powered off. Inserted the SD card. 

This time, on boot, the handset said Ver 1.01 then 'Copy SD to NAND' press any key

I pressed enter. and the copy process began. It ran quicker than the 1st time. and completed

apparently normally.

I powered off, removed the SD card and powered on.

Same result - booted to Ver 1.6e and then went to 'Copy SD to NAND' again.

The card is formatted by the Autostar Updater - it's Fat32 wit 4k allocation.

HELP please...

ANY ideas?

Thanks

Michael

I tried installing the version 1.6a yesterday on my LS-8. After install it said remove card which I did, but never got the message, update complete? Then I turned of the scope. Turned it back on and there was no message that the new firmware was installed and no mention of version 1.6a. Scope still would not work properly. It would get stuck at searching for GPS satellite's. Turned it off and on several times. About 20 minutes later it woke up and finished the process, but the hand controller was not working well at all. It would get hung up on a tour or object. At one time while looking at the planet menu, Jupiter came up and I hit go to. It did and worked, but after another try, it froze up. Very frustrating. Good thing I had my manual C102 out.

#57 ILuckyLukeI

ILuckyLukeI

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:38 PM

I did happen to copy their dropbox link to my own dropbox at the time, but thought it better to refer folks to the link that Meade sent me. Since that's gone now, though, try this one:

https://www.dropbox....6E (1).zip?dl=0

Hope it works, but no warranty expressed or implied! Be sure to follow the instructions in the README.txt file for the best chance of creating a working card.

Best of luck getting your scope going again - 

Dwayne

Hi all,

I undusted my ETX-LS ACF 6" yesterday, after a few years, and decided to give the 1.6e firmware a go, current was 1.6a. I have a microSD 2Gb with 1.6a as backup that works using a micro to miniSD adapter. Since I had another spare microSD 2Gb around, I decided to create a new one with the new firmware using ASU 6.1. No luck, the scope wouldn't boot, just a blank screen. So after a few trials without any success, I decided to use an older 256mb micro SD and just copy the firmware and flashfirmware files to test, I didn't want to risk my working 1.6a SD card, guess what: it worked, I got the press any key to copy to NAND, of course I didn 't proceed since it only had those 2 filles on it, but it reinforced my belief that the scope is SDcard picky.

So I finally made the 1.6e over my 1.6a SDcard and successfully flashed the scope.

Conclusion is that not every SDcard will work; the first 2Gb micro SD I used wouldn't boot. The KINGMAX 256mb microSD and a Kingston 2Gb microSD both worked.

To make the SD card with ASU:

- I copied the ETX_LSV16E folder to : C:\Program Files (x86)\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater

- moved and replaced C:\Program Files (x86)\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater\FIRMWARE.bin with the one provided in the ETX_LSV16E.zip

- renamed flashfirmware to firmware.bin in \ETX_LSV16E

- Standard procedure in ASU

Good luck!

L.

Edited by ILuckyLukeI, 07 October 2020 - 01:39 PM.

• GeoSwa2010 likes this

#58 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:38 PM

I have 1.6E and D.  Both work well, I use E.  
Memory cards can be tricky, I have no problem making both the mini sd 2 gb or the micro 2gb or less.  If anyone needs a card, drop me a note.  

George 

#59 AstroBod

AstroBod

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

I have ordered a “2GB MiniSD Card Memory Card with Protective Case For Nokia Old Cell Phone” from China.
I will relate it’s success.

First time on AutoStar Updater
Tried to add heaps of Comet, Asteroid & Satellite orbits on left column.
Got confused, decided to clear that new data.
Cleared the lot.

No idea what I did.
ASU will not start without first finding a Meade connection, so at the moment I cannot review what I actually did.

I got a flag message that stated..
   >> Calibration Images Missing.
   >> Be sure to run Take Pictures → Dark Calibration on the scope.

Should have realised then I had stuffed up.
We live and learn.

Also a hello to Andrew Johansen of Melbourne Australia

I am on The-Big-Hippo@mail.com
Text me and we can hook up by mobile about Melbourne viewing with a LS-8.
I would like that.

Mark also from Melbourne, Australia.

#60 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:29 AM

Gday Mark

Text me and we can hook up by mobile

I couldnt write a text message if my life depended on it lol.gif ,

and my mobile sits in my car for emergencies when away from home.

( which due to "Il Duce Dan" i cant do )

Will send a PM tomorrow, as i can handle email :-)

#61 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:07 PM

Hello Lightswitch Owners,

Are any of you using a finderscope?  And if yes, can you tell me how you mounted it?  I have reviewed several plates, dovetail mounts, etc, but I sure would like to know what any of you did.  

thanks,
George

#62 tom491

tom491

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:48 AM

I wanted to say a huge thanks to all who have contributed to this topic. Using the information shared, I was able to recover a ETX-LS6 by performing a SD card firmware update. Prior to the fix, the scope would power up with 10 LED flashes and then unresponsive with a blank Autostar III display.

My setup:

- Windows 10 with AutoStar Updater 6.1 running in Windows 8 compatibility mode

- Omni 1GB MiniSD card sourced from ebay AU (listing since ended)

- SD Card FAT32 "Full format" with default block size (quick format disabled)

- Firmware 1.6d (manually copied to Updater folder)

I didn't have much luck getting firmware 1.6e to work, although this may have been caused by incorrect format of the SD Card on that attempt.

I'm an absolute newbie but so far enjoying the scope. I find auto align is a bit tedious sometimes but the GoTo functionality is great smile.gif

Next project is to replace a broken viewfinder on/off switch. I added a new battery and bypassed with switch with a 120ohm resister to confirm the LED is working. My guess is that the original switch/potentiometer is max 1kohm resistor, so I'll probably settle with 500ohm and fix the LED intensity to mid-range.

Thanks again

Tom

#63 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:56 PM

So after reading these post, do I need to go to e now and forget about my a SD card wit a on it. BTW, just reloaded the a version and after it copied all the firmware, I got a message to remove the card. It did not say it was successful, is it supposed to say that? Scope is not working. I hangs up as it looks for GPS satellites! The scope is useless now. Can't even get it to move at all.

#64 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:10 PM

REC,

As I understand it, yes.   You are experiencing the GPS rollover problem.  I have both the D and E versions, I use E and my scope performs very well.   I have a lightswith built in 2011.

nice equipment listing!   

thanks,

George

#65 LookingForHelpLS6

LookingForHelpLS6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 December 2021 - 11:19 PM

Hello everyone! I know this is kind of a dead thread but i dont know where else to look for help. I managed to get firmware 1.6e on my ETX-LS scope made in 2009 thanks to all the advice above. Much appreciated!! But now I am facing a new problem.

After I turn on the scope, the hand controller would flash "Meade LS version 1.6e" then it would flash something for a quick second. Tried recording it using my phone but its so fast! Think it says "Media exit Av" then the scope would just slew up and down in dec for a moment and thats it. The hand controller just displays a blank red screen and no button presses are doing anything. I tried searching the forum fo rinformation but if this issues has came up before in another thread, do let me know. If not, any help would be appreciated!! Much thanks!!!

#66 GeoSwa2010

GeoSwa2010

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 December 2021 - 11:30 PM

First, are you 100% sure that your firmware on your card is correct?  Has that specific card been used successfully? second, While I was learning, I managed to program cards incorrectly, install the firmware only to have my scope act very bizarre, like what you are describing.  I worked through and it now I have no problems. 

I could be wrong but your card could be not correct.  

Email me at geoswa2010@gmail.com 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics