•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Used evo8 with condensation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: chula vista, ca

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

Hello all. Im a super newbie just entering the stargazing scene. I went from looking at the simple 4se to 8se and meade lx90 or lx200's and was open to any for simple observation without photography in mind. Anyhow, found a great deal on an evo8. looked great when i picked it up and had all the proper gear. However, upon closer inspection under direct light at home, i noticed there was some condensation or maybe its something else on the inside top portion of the scope which i didnt notice earlier. Its entirely possible the person wiped it down before i came with a ton of.cleaner or water and its there somehow because of that. I used a blowdryer on the outside for ~20 min to no avail. Can anyone recommend a proper procedure to remove said condensation on the inside top of the scope? it doesnt appear to be anywhere else on the inside. pic of said condesation enclosed.35a44d5f329719936223ff58186b8c6f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by protocol_droid, 31 August 2019 - 07:19 PM.

• Tony91 likes this

#2 ishorx

ishorx

Vostok 1

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

you could tip it upside down take off the diagnol or remove cap and either put in the sun or use a hair dryer gently on the corrector and warm slightly 

#3 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:11 PM

i will try leaving it out in the sun with the angle off and the ota facing up. its a warm summer in socal right now. hopefully this will take care of it. i did see some youtube vids and disassembly but dont want to do that until its a last option.

#4 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Make sure you don't have the Sun shine into the scope.  Gentle warmth is good, direct sun could be really bad.

#5 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

thanks for the input. sun is shining onto the unit with the ota pointing down so only the back end is pointing up. should be ok.

c5e476b2727a72a2ca85258fbf49490d.jpg

Edited by protocol_droid, 01 September 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#6 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

You might also put a slender hose (maybe 1/2")  on a vacuum cleaner and put it through the rear port, so you actually move some air inside of the OTA.   If you don't move the moist air out, it may just condense again when the scope is cold.

Edited by Ski-Patroller, 01 September 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#7 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

I let it sit outside for 4hrs in the sun. absolutely no change in liquid particles on the glass.
I also pulled a vac through the ep port sealing it with filter paper and painters tape on both ends. Did this for an hr and no difference either. Im kind of wondering if its something else besides just water...hmmmm.

Edited by protocol_droid, 01 September 2019 - 08:44 PM.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

It sounds like you'll need to pull the corrector off (ensuring that you note the marks on the edge and orientation ... and if there are no marks that you do index it so it goes back in with the same orientation) and clean the inside surface.

My preferred method is from http://arksky.org/as...cleaning-system

#9 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

hey mclewis
thanks for the very thorough link to do this. im going to attempt this today. im using only pure cotton instead of kleenex to wipe. i also checked out the following for cleaning solution in addition to what you posted.

https://www.nexstars...OpticsGlass.htm

i also watched the following to get a good idea on technique

https://youtu.be/e66yIuD3cMk

Edited by protocol_droid, 02 September 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#10 whizbang

whizbang

Messenger

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

More scopes are damaged by cleaning than anything else.

Dab, dab, dab.  Blot, Blot, Blot.  Please review this prior to cleaning:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e66yIuD3cMk

#11 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

thanks. i quoted that vid. he makes it look so easy.

#12 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:12 PM

After an hour of dab dab dab and more dab dab dab.... Shes finally done. Not ultra perfect but probably 98% good enough for me. Now i need to learn how to collimate it.

Will post some pics of it when i set it up for the first time.3bc9d1baab2f92aa3860883e355184aa.jpg512291a2bae59075d2f809f4d975192d.jpg

Edited by protocol_droid, 02 September 2019 - 08:28 PM.

• lids344 likes this

#13 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:47 PM

well i never collimated before. i found a star near zenith with the stock 40mm plossl ep., defocused and vois la, the central dark spot was already centered beautifully! no adjustments necessary.

#14 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:35 PM

just did some manual gazing and saw jupiter and saturn and many a moon of each. definitely need some better ep. some of these used ones.are trash. the 17mm and 40 work great.

#15 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:01 AM

just did some manual gazing and saw jupiter and saturn and many a moon of each. definitely need some better ep. some of these used ones.are trash. the 17mm and 40 work great.

Early on I got the Celestron eyepiece assortment and played with the different strengths in my 8" f/5 Newt.  After a while, I found the 13mm was the one I kept going to, so when a 13.5mm 100 degree Optimus popped up on the StellarVue "certified pre-owned" site, I grabbed it.  Not cheap, but the view through that massive eyepiece practically sucks your brain into outer space.  There's no other way to describe the feeling.

Your experience will certainly be different, but keep a mental note of which eyepieces you are drawn to.  The low cost Plossls are a great way to explore your telescope without investing a lot.  Then when you do invest, you can be very selective in what to get.

#16 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

thanks. i will keep that in mind. im also looking to see how the 2"ep will be should i decide to upgrade.

#17 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

well i never collimated before. i found a star near zenith with the stock 40mm plossl ep., defocused and vois la, the central dark spot was already centered beautifully! no adjustments necessary.

That's a good start, the fact that the planets already look pretty good already is a good sign ... and for most folks who concentrate on deep space objects (not the planets) they'd probably leave it there. 

Using a 40mm eyepiece and working with a large defocused image tells you that you are in the ball park, but to allow your scope to perform to it's full potential you need to tweak and fine tune your collimation at much higher magnifications (on a stable night) with only a little bit of defocus (working with the defraction rings and not just the large fresnel image of the defocused star).

In your case this might be something to plan for on a good night in the future, it's not a must to do right away.

#18 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

That's a good start, the fact that the planets already look pretty good already is a good sign ... and for most folks who concentrate on deep space objects (not the planets) they'd probably leave it there. 

Using a 40mm eyepiece and working with a large defocused image tells you that you are in the ball park, but to allow your scope to perform to it's full potential you need to tweak and fine tune your collimation at much higher magnifications (on a stable night) with only a little bit of defocus (working with the defraction rings and not just the large fresnel image of the defocused star).

In your case this might be something to plan for on a good night in the future, it's not a must to do right away.

Hey Mark-

When you say working with a large defocused image, are you referring to a star or a planet. I used a star to defocus with. Not sure which one but it was tiny LOL. So, i now need to use a lower mm eyepiece and try the collimation again to assure that it's adequate? If so, any recommendations?

#19 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

Hey Mark-

When you say working with a large defocused image, are you referring to a star or a planet. I used a star to defocus with. Not sure which one but it was tiny LOL. So, i now need to use a lower mm eyepiece and try the collimation again to assure that it's adequate? If so, any recommendations?

#20 whizbang

whizbang

Messenger

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

There are a whole bunch of collimation threads on CN.

SCT collimation is done at high power just off focus.  A 8 or 9mm eyepiece is about right for a C8.  Any eyepiece will miss collimation errors and show a perfect donut if one de-focuses far enough.  The collimation problems show up close to focus.

• mclewis1 likes this

#21 whizbang

whizbang

Messenger

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

Congrats on the cleaning.  BTW.

#22 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

thanks whizbang. gonna see if the lower mm ep's function tnite or tomorrow.

https://skywatch.brainiac.com/SCThp/

under faqs is the one im going to use

Edited by protocol_droid, 03 September 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#23 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

There can be a marked improvement in high power images when you fine tune your collimation using the diffraction rings.

Some folks never attempt to collimate to this level and sometimes they are fine, other times they just live with soft planetary images. Going to this level requires some practice, calm seeing, higher magnifications and patience (remembering to keep recentering the star as you adjust those 3 secondary bolts).

Another option is to use a camera (inexpensive webcam or similar planetary camera) and the MetaGuide software. MetaGuide is free Windows based softaware. It will help stabilize the tiny dancing image and analyse the position of the rings. It will also with most popular mounts keep centering the star automatically. 

With a little practice ether method (eye or camera) will deliver good results. I found that I was more likely to check and adjust the collimation of my C11 when using the camera approach. I could also do this on nights where my seeing conditions were not great (but still good). With the visual approach I found I had to wait until a night of really good seeing (rare around here).

#24 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

mclewis

thanks again for the great info. i may not be able to fine collimate til the wknd now...taking work home blows.

I will look into the digital way to see if this is also feasible as that also may allow me to jumpstart doing ap in the near future.

Edited by protocol_droid, 05 September 2019 - 12:24 AM.

#25 protocol_droid

protocol_droid

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

havent touched the scope since my first manual focus on the planets. work has been kicking my arse. so in the meantime, let the goodies pile up. i must say, these are quality items when held in my hungry hands

used 13mm nagler t6
williams optics 2" diagonal
baader 2" clicklock
williams optics rotolock 2" > 1.25" adapter.8db8c1719c7b0b0ee24257bcaad0358a.jpg

Edited by protocol_droid, 11 September 2019 - 07:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics