•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Konus Motormax 150 Mak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:18 PM

Hey All,

I just got a Konus Motormax 150 Mak from Telescopes.com for $829. I will give everyone the best review of this scope that I can. First, I placed the order online at Telescopes.com and I was very happy with the transaction. The telescope came in two boxes and was packed well. The whole thing is mostly assembled including the motors on the mount. It took only 3 minutes to completely put together out of the box. Overall the construction is much better then I had hoped for and the scope appears very well made. The mount is very solid and well balanced. The finder scope is 8x50 and looks nice but I would rate it at just maybe "OK" as everything seems a bit to blurry. The focus knob on the telescope is so smooth and solid I would rate it a solid 10/10. There was no dust anywhere in the tube and a visual inspection of the inside of the tube showed a perfect looking mirror and a good looking flat black coating inside the tube. I have to say that I did not expect this quality of a scope at all and I am pleasantly surprised. The scope is right now outside in my garage and as soon as it gets dark I will test the optics and post an update then with a few pics. If anyone has any questions on this scope just ask and I will answer the best I can.

Best regards,
Chaz......

P.S. This is my first post and glad to be here.

#2 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

Hi Chaz, Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Sounds like a great scope you got there...for the focuser, most of them can be adjusted by screwing (in or out) the eyepiece end to achieve focus. While you still have daylight, try to line your focuser and scope up so you can use it tonight to look at Jupiter!

I have had good experiences with telescopes.com...good internet store.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:46 PM

Tested the scope last night on Jupiter. Seeing was a 5 out of 10 with some clouds and an occasional haze that would come and go. The Konus 150 Mak still performed very well. There was great contrast on the surface of Jupiter and all moons were crisp. I was able to compare it to my home made 6" Newt and a friends fork mount 8" Meade S/C which was about 10 years old and appeared to have a pretty large obstruction compared to the Mak. We both agreed that the Konus won out in every situation. The most obvious thing was it had the most contrast as it did not even have a hint of being washed out, the image was very clear and crisp and was easy to get a good focus. The scope had a perfect star test and neither of us could detect any image shift at all. The mount has a variable speed motor and it tracked Jupiter for 20+ minutes (I am not sure if that is good or bad )with a suspect polar alignment since it was my first time ever doing that or using a EQ mount and to say the least I was a bit confused especially since I did not read the directions, lol. One thing that takes a little getting use to is the finder scope see's everything upside down and the scope see's everything right side up and combined with figuring out the EQ mount I only needed to rewire my entire brain and drink a few gallons of Green Tea. For the price of $829 and the beefy dual drive mount this maybe the deal of a lifetime for a 6" Mak. I am rating this scope a 10/10 and it exceeded all my expectations. (Except finder scope which is just "ok")

Chaz..........

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:02 PM

:waytogo:

I like using my Telrad since it doesn't alter the sky when star hopping and zeroing in on my target. Glad you have a great scope!

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun. Enjoy!

David

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:29 PM

Chaz,

This is one of the scopes on my short list for my first purchase. How would you compare it to the other Mak/SCT's in the same price range but a little less expensive such as the Orion or Celestron 5's. I assume you felt it was worth the extra money. Just wondering if it was just the aperature difference or something else. I know reasons very greatly.

thanks
khrome

#7 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:27 PM

I bought a Konus Motormax 150 late last year with the intention of reviewing here. I had some issues with the mount, however, and I wound up selling the OTA, which was very nice, by the way. I'm still up in the air about the mount. It's a good price for this type of setup, but the mounts, from what I hear from other owners, have quality control problems. I wouldn't caution someone away from buying this setup, but I would recommend inspecting and trying out the mount immediately upon receiving it. Just my two cents. :rollgrin:

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:20 AM

Khrome,

My personal short list was down to the Konus Motormax 150 Mak for $829 and the Orion 127mm Mak on the Skyview Pro Mount for $698. I felt like I could not go wrong with either choice and I kept in mind the return policy of all the online stores as with Telescope.com I could return the scope within 7 days no questions asked for a full refund which gave me piece of mind. To be honest when I got the scope I was looking for a reason to send it back and after about an hour of a full inspection including taking the mirror out I was starting to be won over. My reasons were as follows. I read that the Konus 150 Mak OTA was all metal and no plastic parts which is true and after a good inspection all the parts are metal and of a good quality. I also took the mirror out and took a look at it and was please with the construction and the thickness of the mirror. Price was also an issue and I felt the extra $130 was worth the extra inch of aperature. The mount was the thing that made me give the Konus a try. I really liked the built in polar scope which gives very clear views, the pre-installed motors that look like and feel like the scope was built with these motors in mind and the hand controller is well made with only 2 cords and it takes 6x AA batteries which I liked since I have enough rechargable AA batteries to power my house for a few days, lol. The variable speed drives were also an important feature. Here is a good link to the features of the scope but it also has great pictures of the mount and a good description http://www.digitecop...s_maks_1798.htm

I am not sure what the problems were that ngc6475 had but I could imagine that anything mass produced out of China could have a few bad ones mixed in to the bunch. One thing I noticed was that the slip clutches had to be fully disengaged to use the slow motion knobs or it would not be smooth at all and it seemed to me at first like they were but I would have to loosen them just a touch more then I at first thought. At 180x I would give the scope a good hit and it fully dampened in a "one one thousand" count and that was with the legs not extended and the tips of the legs sunk in the grass. The motors are virtually silent at 1x slew but they make more noise the faster you go but nothing like some of the coffe grinders I have heard. In short the OTA is a 10/10 and for the money the mount is great though I can see were they may of cut some corners but nothing that affects the performance or sturdiness, this mount is not an Orion Atlas mount but it is also not $799 just for the mount. To sum everything up for $829 this is a 10 out of 10 scope without a doubt in my mind and is everything you could hope for and more for the money.

I know my review sounds to good to be true but keep in mind I am reviewing this scope only against itself. It would not be fair to review this scope against a $3500 scope that sits on top of the Orion Atlas or similar mount because we all know which scope would be better. I personally don't think you could go wrong with this deal.

Chaz.........

#9 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:09 PM

I really like the views in my Motormax 90. Much cleaner than my 80mm refractor. For what I paid ($209.00) I feel it was a good buy. And I agree, my finder is junk...I'm getting a red dot to replace.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:14 PM

There is very little info on first hand reports of the Motormax 150 Mak so I will post some pics to help out future buyers.

Pic 1: This is how the scope arrived.

Attached Thumbnails

• 93496-Konus Box copy.jpg

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

Pic 2: This is the packing of the scope which I feel is important because you here of reports to often of damaged scopes from shipping.

Attached Thumbnails

• 93498-Konus Packaging copy.jpg

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:22 PM

Pic 3: This is a pic of the scope with my homemade 6" F8 reflector right behind it. The tube of the reflector is OD 8.25 inches.

Attached Thumbnails

• 93506-Scopes copy.jpg

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

Pic 4: Here is a close up of the front of the scope. OD is 6 7/8" inches. The spots that looks like smudges is light reflections and there is some dust visable.

Attached Thumbnails

• 93510-Scope Front copy.jpg

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:31 PM

Pic 5: This is a pic of the scope with me in it for reference.

Attached Thumbnails

• 93511-Scopes and Me copy.jpg

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:04 PM

very nice...thanks for the pics! it is still on my short list!

khrome

#16 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

Chaz

I bet the Konus 150 shows fabulous views...!!

BTW: What does the OTA weigh...??

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:07 AM

Apollo,

The OTA with the 8x50 finder scope weights 16 lbs on my Rapala digital hand scale.

Chaz.........

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:57 PM

KONUS MOTORMAX 150 WAS A BUST!!! Harry at Konus told me that every single Motormax 150 has all the same problems.

At first I thought the Konus Motormax 150 was great but after a second full test run IMO it is a complete wash and unusable!!! My dove tail was backwards and Harry at Konus told me I should take it off and put it on right because there are only 4 people in the entire USA that work for Konus and they don't have time then I fully used the motor and discovered the wiring on the motors are reversed and no matter what both motors will always go at the exact same speed. What good is that? They sent me an email with the instructions how to rewire the entire scope and at the top of the email it said to reverse all the black with white and red with blue then at the bottom it says to reverse black and blue and red with white and Harry said he was not positive what way was right. To make it worse Harry told me that every scope has the wiring problem as they came from the factory that way and since there are only 4 people working for konus they could never fix the scopes themselves!!! The paint on my dovetail is flacking off and when you extend the tripod legs all the way you discover that most of the tripod is made of PLASTIC and IMO will break very easily. Even in their email to me they state that the wiring is extremely fragile and IMO that is even a under statement!!! The OTA is ok but I found out what was wrong with my finder scope, it is attached crooked so you may never be able to line it up right. I also got told that half of all the optics can not be aligned and focus can be very hard to impossible but my scope focuses well. I thought that the mount was a bit tight and would losen up but from what I understand it will get worse and NOT better. This was a waste of a lot of money and time and I do not think I should have to fix my own brand new scope!!! This has turned out to be a nightmare!!!

Chaz........

Edit: I started another thread about my problem

#19 stepchild

stepchild

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:07 PM

Sorry to here that. Can you send it back for a refund? Or are you stuck?

#20 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:12 PM

ruh roh ! sounds like mucho problemo's ! like stepchild said...what is the return policy?

khrome

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear that....Topcat, do you have the same problems with your 90mm?
I think you should press for a refund. They will definitely lose sales now that your opinion is on the net.....

#22 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

Darn darn darn!!!! I see that Digitecoptical.com has pulled the 150 model from online sales.... this is not good, I just bloody bought the 90mm version today from them with a few addons after struggling for two weeks trying to make a decision on my small scope

Pleaaaaase let it just be the 150 having issues, I wanted to be like this by the weekend :bow: and not like this :tonofbricks:

Pleaase telescope gods let me not through drama with this purchase!!!

#23 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:12 PM

I sympathise with Chaz. The OTA was fine, but the mount was severely flawed, with many of the same problems Chaz has described and a couple he has not. After a few months of trying to get Konus to offer a fix, I'm just sending the mount to them and hoping for the best. It's too bad because it's almost a nice setup. :undecided:

#24 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:36 PM

Aquarianperry,

From what I understand from Konus it is just the three scopes that all use that same new mount that have the problem. They are the Motormax 150 Mak, Motormax 130 Mak and the 8" reflector. The motormax 150 has the most problems since it is the newest model.

NGC6475,

Konus in Miami told me yesterday that they did not have a mount to send me that would not have the same problems that I have now. They said the entire batch of this mount is bad.

I feel what they are doing is pure fraud, they are selling scopes that they know are defective. The good news I now know there are good companies out there like Telescopes.com that have pulled from sale the Motormax 150 and 130 after my complaint, this shows that they have our and their best interest in mind. Erik at Telescopes.com did not hesitate to offer me a full refund INCLUDING all shipping costs and is paying for me to ship the scope back to them. Also a tip of the hat to Digitec Optical for refusing to sell the defective scopes and giving me all the extra info that allowed me to confront Harry at Konus and get him to admit all that is wrong with my scope so I did not get tricked into getting a replacement that would be just as defective.

Chaz.......

#25 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:44 PM

Well, good for you, Chaz! Unfortunately for me, the return policy at the retailer from whom I bought the scope was one week. I spoke to Harry a couple of times and he said he'd replace the mount with a new one, then he stopped returning my emails. I now see why. Oh well, I think I'll stick to buying brands I believe in and from people whom I trust. I may yet send the mount back to him just to see how he'll respond, but I think I won't hold my breath!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics