•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Konus Motormax 150 Mak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

NGC6475,

I am sorry to here what happened to you and I saw in your other post you are out $350 in the deal and that is alot of money for nothing but headaches. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I am not sure how people like that sleep at night and IMO they do not by any means care about Astronomy, just about making money.

Chaz........

#27 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:27 PM

I appreciate the thought, Chaz, but like the saw goes, "You pays your money and you takes your chances." I generally don't risk money on cheap equipment unless I'm convinced of the quality, but this sounded so good I took a chance with money I could afford to lose. Who knew? It coulda been a winner! :crutch:

#28 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:51 PM

Aquarianperry,

From what I understand from Konus it is just the three scopes that all use that same new mount that have the problem. They are the Motormax 150 Mak, Motormax 130 Mak and the 8" reflector. The motormax 150 has the most problems since it is the newest model.

I noticed that the mount/tripod is a more advanced model on the 130/150 than the one for the 90 (single drive, EQ1) and that is a good sign but now I'm a little uneasy on it, I'll be worried sick and hoping for the best until it arrives. I'll have to check and see how Tomcat is doing with his Motormax 90, if anything I can always call them up and cancel and let the shipment go back to them but I really want to give it a try but I think I'll just try it out and hope if anything goes wrong it does within the week I have to return it.

That is truly a bum steer that they gave you, I would also write the editor of Sky and Telescope so they can put it in there as well. BBB Would be a great way to get action, but seeing that they are based in Italy I don't know how it works since BBB is based in the United States I think. You biggest problems seem to be in the mount, do you know if Konus actually makes the tripod/mounts also or just the optics? Perhaps a straight call to Italy would be on order for answers from their rediculous customer service here in the US office?

#29 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:59 AM

Chaz

Check out the Orion StarMax ... SkyView Pro 127mm with TrueTrack Dual Drive

http://www.telescope...EGORY&itemID=10

#30 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I humbly offer my comments in a review of the Orion Skyview Pro 5" MCT:
http://www.excelsis....=12&entryid=535
Don

#31 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:46 PM

Hey Aquarian
The good news is so far, my motormax 90 is performing flawlessly...and I say this within what I expect from a scope that cost a little over $200. It's fabulous optically and the mount is adequate for a scope this size. I'm still satisfied with what I got my money. I'm disapointed that a few other people kinda got bogus equipment on the 130 and 150. They both seem like great concepts at least. I wouldn't freak out just yet as the 90mm seems OK. And I'm pretty fussy... The views of Venus/Saturn and Jupiter have been really spectacular for just a 90mm. I hope you get one that is as good optically as mine. I have found the mount to be much more stable with the tripod legs colapsed. My daughter can reach the eyepiece easier this way also. My only complaint so far is the fuzzy-optics in the finder but I'll replace when I get around to it. Keep the faith... Who did you order yours from?

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

Topcat,

The contrast in the 150 was the best I have seen (or at least I can remember). Jupiter's banding was in a word "colorful" with a nice dark black sky. I really wanted to keep this scope and if I could of figured out a way to get all my problems fixed I would of kept it. If they ever get all the problems worked out it will be a fine scope and well worth the money.

Chaz........

#33 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

Hey Topcat,

I did my purchase from Digitecoptical.com but it really must not have been meant for me to get the Konus, they called me up today to tell me that they did not have any in stock and when the wharehouse told them it would take 3 - 6 weeks for them to get more. They did give me a somewhat better offer to replace the Konus though, they would supplement with an Orion Starmax 90mm at the same price as the Konus ($229US) and give me a free moon filter and a motor drive for $34. I then looked around to the different Konus dealers and they all said that they were all backordered for 2 weeks or more so I think I might jump on the deal that was presented to me.

The only thing that is different is the Orion has a longer focal length and doesn't have the flip mirror system the Konus has which I would have liked but now that I've heard some of the Konus horror stories and now the mysterios long waits for them on backorder (which mean that Konus America probably has to get a new shipment of new ones in which would mean they might throw them together too fast and I could end up with a bum scope). I think I'll pass on being on backorder for that long, especially since I don't really need the hassle if anything is wrong with it. With the Orion I can ship it back within the CONUS if worse came to worse. I told them I'd sleep on it, if I can't find the Konus Motormax anywhere else for $229 or less then I'll definately be going with the Orion.

Sound like a good deal?

#34 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

WOW ! I wish I could order the Orion 90 Starmax for that price I would jump all over it ! :jump:

khrome

#35 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:07 AM

Aquarian
I would get the Starmax then you don't have to worry. I think the Starmax drive may be a little better made than the Konus....At a superficial look anyway. The flip system is a pretty useful feature though. I don't think you can go worng with the Orion as the have great customer service. I bought my c80 from orion back in the early 80's and they had great service then also. When I get a bigger scope, I'll probably go with an Orion Dob or EQ reflector. I'm a little paranoid now, waiting for something in my OTO to fall apart....hopefully not though...let me know how you make out...incidently, another grab and go I really like for rich field views is my Humble Edmund Astroscan. Chaz, I agree the optics are just great on the Konus Maks...I never seen such tack sharp images of Saturn and Jupiter. I'm sure the Starmax would perform similarly.

#36 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:20 PM

Chaz,

Did you get any more responses from Konus with your situation?

Topcat,

You seem to be safe cause I haven't seen any problems with the Motormax 90, but then I haven't really seen any reviews for that model except yours and one other but that should change now that everyone is buying it. Have you had any problems with the internal flip mirror system? I heard that is could mess up the collimation if made improperly. Since everything looks good with your scope you may be lucky (throw some of that luck this way!!!), but you might want to make sure it stays up to par over time. How long is the Konus warranty and what does it cover?

I've giving up the Konus fight and went for the Orion Starmax deal, which might be a good things since I was getting the Orion Solar 90mm solar filter (a must buy for the venus transit and to get mor daytime use out of the scope) and the Orion red dot finder with the Konus - might as well make it a matched set. As far as the Orion drive I opted to move up and get the one with the hand controller for $15 more than the one that has the controls built into the motorbox, since you don't have to touch the mount to adjust the motion or speed I think that would be better to help with astrophoto when I'm ready to go there. Unfortunately now the whole setup won't be arriving until next week so my plans for tinkering with it this weekend is ruined. Well, I've still got my Barska's to hold me out until then.

#37 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 29 April 2004 - 02:24 PM

Aquarian

I think you made the right the right move. And I also think getting the upgrade on motor drive was a good idea too. I'm betting trying to get anything done under waranty would be an uphill battle since they only have a few employees in the US. I've got a machine shop so anything mechanical I can fabricate except the optics. The flip mirror seems to be ok for the time being. I never seen a bad review of the Starmax so I think you'll be good to go. Digital Optical told me the Motormax 90 was a better value but that was a month or so ago before it hit the fan...again, so far I've been happy with the exception of the bogus finder optics. I really wasn't expecting a Questar for $200 and change either. I'll keep you all in the loop if anything falls apart on me.

#38 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:43 PM

Harry at Konus emailed me today to say he was willing to have the mount shipped at his expense to them for repair. I appreciate his attention and I hope for the best, quickest resolution to this matter.

Walter

#39 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:16 PM

What a roller coaster ride,

After many hours of searching I could not find another 6" Mak-Cass (I fell in love with the contrast of the Mak) in the same price range. So I spent many more hours working on the scope and mount. I used a drill press on the finder scope and it will now align properly and repainted the dovetail, I rewired the whole thing and made improvments to the contacts and replaced the wiring. I took the mount apart and scrapped of all the grease that was as strong as glue and really thick and replaced it with a coat of Quantum Hotsauce and then coated it with Slick 50 teflon grease and it is now real smooth. Just for a test I put some of the old grease in my freezer to simulate a cold Ohio winter night and this stuff turned so solid it was like a sticky rock and I am sure that is why people complain about how stiff the mount is. I also made several other minor improvments and I can now say the scope and mount is officially OK. The scope now tracks much smoother with the new grease and the slow motion controls are now smooth and easy to turn. I took a great big sigh of relief when I was finally done but now I am happy (No thanks to Konus). I will say again in all fairness the optics and OTA (minus the finder scope) are nice and give great views and great contrast with no coma, no image shift and no false color with pin point stars across the field of view.

Walter,

I hope everything works out for you and I just offer this info so you know what to watch out for and hopefully prevent. I talked to Harry on the phone about that exact issue when this all started to go wrong and asked him many questions. The scope is shipped to him in Florida then he ships them to Italy for repair. From what I have read the wait is 2-4 months and when I asked Harry on the phone if it would take 2 months he did not answer but he did say what ends up happening is that it is cheaper for them to just send you a new mount from Florida after your long wait then fix the mount and ship it back to you but the problem is that all the mounts have the same basic problems. I would of sent mine back but I was worried I would wait 2-4 months and just get sent a scope with all the same problems. The good news is that there are a lot of people and companies right now putting pressure on them that may make things go better for you.

Chaz........

#40 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:15 PM

Sounds like you did a good job Chaz, hopefully your problems will stop there and not get any worse. Maybe you could make an offer to Harry to come down there to fix the broken mounts on the weekends for a moderate fee and of course plane tickets/room and board while your there :D. Take that money and get an LX200 or some other type of exotic scope. I can't believe that they only have four people working in their US office, they must have like five job titles each.

#41 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

Thanks, Chaz. The mount is winging its way to Florida. Harry has graciously consented to cleaning and rewiring a new mount and sending it back to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and I certainly appreciate your advice and encouragement!

#42 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:12 AM

Hey Chaz
Thats good news you were able to fix it. It's too bad becasue as you pointed out, the Konus optical systems appear to be quite good. Keep us posted. Aquarian, how do you like your Starmax? I still have to replace my finder. I've been pre-occupied with other projects but will get around to adding a red dot

#43 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:44 PM

Topcat,

I've found the Starmax to be a great scope, the finder it comes with is not bad at all but I did mount a red dot alongside it to have two ways to point the scope. I made a post reviewing the whole setup, check it out and let me know what you think:

http://www.cloudynig...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

#44 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:20 PM

Nice review Aquarian... I'm sure you'll have good luck with the Starmax....I really like the optical quality of my 90 Konus although after all the bad press, I'm really paranoid about mine.... So far so good though. I love the planetary images it has provided so far. I'm looking forward to a big reflector also. I'm considering building my own just for the experience. I've got some pretty good woodworking tools and access to a machine shop so I may just find some plans and have at it. I may build a truss-style Dob...well see. Keep us posted on the 90. We can compare notes.

Clear Skies!

#45 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:28 PM

I recently ordered a Motormax 130 from DigitecOptical. I was contactedby the owner of the store because he said he wasn't going to sell me it unless I really wanted it because they have had NUMEROUS problems with the Konus scopes. I quickly changed my order to the Orion Starmax 127 with the optional dual axis motor drive and haven't looked back since.

#46 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:45 PM

HI everyone,

Kind of new at this, but thinking of getting a nice scope

I was thinking about getting the Motormax 130 by Konus From Digitec. Are problems only with the mount? What are the exact problems? Chaz (I read you fixed yours)Are they worth fixing yourself, or should I just get a different scope all together?

Jay

#47 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

I just received the Konusky 200 a couple weeks ago and can attest that the only major problem is the mount. As far as fixing it yourself that's another story. Mine is currently at Konus being repaired after I attempted it myself with no success. However, I think it has the potential to be a great scope. The mount/tripod is extremely beefy and the tube/rings are very nice too. I still think it was a great deal for $519.00.

Scott

#48 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

Justlooking,

Just to save me from having to retype everything out you may want to reread this thread and check out the thread "Beware of Konus" in the feedback forum on the exact problems with the Konus Motormax and to get a feel for what you are up against. I think the post just before yours tells what Digitec thinks of Konus. As far as fixing the scope, I got lucky and got a great OTA (minus the finder scope, backwards dovetail and chipping paint) so I felt it was almost worth (besides I did not feel like having to deal with Konus and wait MONTHS to get my brand new scope back) the long time it took to fix the mount and scope. However, would I do it again, NO WAY, NEVER!!! You will be buying a scope you KNOW is broken in advance. Why go through all that when you have another GREAT choice in the Orion 127 Mak and get it on the SVP mount and that would be a GREAT setup.

#49 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:34 PM

Justlooking,

I'll echo Chaz's remarks and recommend the Orion SkyView Pro 127. From everything I've read the OTA is very good. It has a shorter focal length (1540mm vs 2000mm) so it will have a slightly larger FOV. I have a 5" mak-newt mounted on the SVP. It's about twice as long and a little heavier than the Orion 127 and the mount is solid as a rock with it. Orion's customer service is outstanding as well.

#50 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

Hey Every1,

Thanks for all the feed back. I know that you can get the Orion dircetly from Orion, is there any discount when you order dierctly from them?

Jay

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics