•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

US Representative observing with my Questar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:12 AM

Out of respect to everyone at Cloudy Nights I want to be clear that this is NOT an endorsement of a political candidate!

The US Representative for NY-14 attended a Nature Day event in her district in Pelham Bay Park on Saturday, where the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York was invited to provide scopes for solar viewing.  I was delighted to have the Congresswoman view through my Questar:

AOC Questar_Quark_TV CN.jpg

As you can see, for solar viewing I've got a DayStar Combo Quark (chromosphere model mounted in the EP port) and the DayStar ERF over the end of the dewshield.  Hey if someone at Questar ever gives me a hat I'll wear that but my Televue cap does go along with the TV Plossl that Rep Ocasio-Cortez is peering through (DayStar actually recommends this EP for best contrast with the Quark).  My Questar is a 50th that I picked up in New Hope in 2012. 

Conditions were good for H-alpha viewing -- there was a modest prominence that came and went with the high clouds and haze; AOC was among about half of the folks who did get to see it. 

I was especially pleased that the Congresswoman asked me about the equipment because it gave me a chance to tell her a few things about the three great US manufacturers responsible -- Questar, DayStar, and Televue (here in NYC we have particular pride for Al Nagler who grew up in the city and who still participates in some of our outreach events).  

This photo was taken by AAA.org's Stan Honda, btw (Stan has at least 7 APOD's so he knows how to photograph stars...)

As I mentioned this is NOT a political blog so nobody wants to hear what you think of the congresswoman, even if you're in NY-14.  But if you are in NY-14 (or anywhere else near the city) and reading this please come out to AAA.org Starfest in Central Park next Saturday night, September 7th, 7-10 pm in the Sheep Meadow! 

Edited by mtr1, 02 September 2019 - 01:10 AM.

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:20 AM

Great opportunity to lobby for better light pollution laws too. Congratulations, you have a famous Questar now. :-)

Edited by agmoonsolns, 02 September 2019 - 12:21 AM.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:38 AM

Love it! Everyone and everything in the photo... What a great opportunity!

#4 UT_JimW

UT_JimW

Lift Off

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:45 AM

Nice photograph. Nice story. Nice equipment.

I am a biologist out West, and in 2017 and 2018 did a morning stream-side electrofishing demonstration (my job) and mid-day solar telescope viewing (astro is my hobby, but not my strong expertise). It was a bit sobering that I had more people come to the solar telescope part then my electrofishing, even though my setup was a paltry ETX90 w/ glass filter and a Coronado PST. I did have some extra film glasses to give out, and provided some eclipse info and safety info in 2017.

How many people do you estimate looked through one of your solar scopes Saturday?

How many people would you expect to come to your Central Park event?

I almost can't fathom that outreach potential.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the public (and your Representative). We really do need to get more people interested in getting in touch with our natural world.

Jim

#5 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

Nice photograph. Nice story. Nice equipment.

I am a biologist out West, and in 2017 and 2018 did a morning stream-side electrofishing demonstration (my job) and mid-day solar telescope viewing (astro is my hobby, but not my strong expertise). It was a bit sobering that I had more people come to the solar telescope part then my electrofishing, even though my setup was a paltry ETX90 w/ glass filter and a Coronado PST. I did have some extra film glasses to give out, and provided some eclipse info and safety info in 2017.

How many people do you estimate looked through one of your solar scopes Saturday?

How many people would you expect to come to your Central Park event?

I almost can't fathom that outreach potential.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the public (and your Representative). We really do need to get more people interested in getting in touch with our natural world.

Jim

Thanks, Jim --

I originally tried outreach in the city as a way to get imaging time within the "white zone" of Manhattan -- but I found that I really enjoyed the interaction.  It's surprising to encounter people who have never even looked at the moon, Jupiter, or Saturn though a telescope but there's an immediate payoff when they get a good view and have an emotional "Wow!" response.   Don't deride your equipment choices -- in the city portability is crucial so your stuff would be typical, and I doubt anyone cared what they were looking through as long as they saw something.  Of course, this is the Questar Forum and we know our scopes can provoke some interesting reactions ("Mister is this like a Harry Potter telescope or something?")

We were told that there were about 400 people at the event, most of whom were there to meet the Congresswoman.  I'd say that somewhere between 30 and 100 people looked though my scope over the four hours we were set up; and a few more than that may have looked through our other setup (managed by Jupiter Joe Martinez who has turned NYC astro outreach into an art form).  These are estimates as I made no real effort to count.  A colleague who recently did solar viewing on a good weekend day said he had 100-120 at his event  The Starfest event last year was completely clouded over but we still set up 32 telescopes and had 350-400 visitors.  Weather was good the year before; we had over 40 scopes and were busy all night -- I'd estimate around 1000 visitors.  

Regards,

Mauri

#6 Szumi

Szumi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NLP, Michigan

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:18 PM

Is there any sun spot activity going on?  I bought a Lee Solar Stopper a while back and haven't tried it out yet.

#7 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

Is there any sun spot activity going on?  I bought a Lee Solar Stopper a while back and haven't tried it out yet.

The sun is in a minimum.  There's a small sunspot group today but for the most part in 2019 there has been very little to see with a white light filter (69% spotless days).  A bit more to see with H-alpha but many days show no bright prominences.  You can get sunspot data here at Spaceweather and the H-alpha network monitoring site is very handy for knowing what to expect to see in H-alpha.  What I see using the Combo Quark in my Questar is very similar to the level of detail shown in the monitor images.  Looking forward to more solar activity next year.  

#8 Les Aperture

Les Aperture

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

Excellent post. I'm jealous!

Well done.

"Les"

#9 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:44 PM

Our joyful passion can enrich our friends and win our adversaries. No harm can come from showing anyone a better view of the heavens.

#10 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:30 AM

Our joyful passion can enrich our friends and win our adversaries. No harm can come from showing anyone a better view of the heavens.

Well said. On that positive note, this thread is now lock.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics