•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX-80 having issues in guided tour mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

So, tonight was the second time I've had my ETX-80 out for a few hours. While I love this scope, it does one thing that drives me up a wall.

Both time's I've used the "Guided Tour" feature (Tonight's Best), the scope as started to act wonky about an hour into it. The handset will stop allowing me to slow manually (even just to center an object), and it will not allow me to back out of the tour using the mode button. Additionally, it will begin to slew in the opposite direction from some objects, while correctly slewing to others.

The first night this occurred, I was using internal lithium AA batteries. Tonight, I was using a 12v, 6000mAh Talentcell as the power source. In both cases the scope was behaving correctly prior to entering the tour mode.

I did recalibrate and retrain the drives between sessions, as I had changed from 9v to 12 for power.

On the first night, I powered the scope back up after tearing down for the night. It seemed to go back to normal. It's still drying from Tonight's session (heavy dew).

Is this a normal bug in the program, or something unique to my scope? Either way, I think I'll just skip the tour feature from thos point forward and select objects manually moving forward.

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

You would have to supply more information : what model controller do you use, Autostar or Audiostar ? What version firmware ? Is it patched or normal Meade firmware? 

#3 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

The handset is an Audiostar. The firmware has not been updated or patched. I'm not sure the version

I now know that to exit the tour, you must push mode for several seconds. I may try it towards the end of my next session.

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

Gday Sampling Nature

I now know that to exit the tour, you must push mode for several seconds.

Correct

Tours have several levels of depth and to exit one section/item you can just use mode

but to exit the whole tour immediately, you need to hold mode down for an extended time.

As you have an Audiostar, you cannot safely use Meades ASU to load new tours, as it corrupts the data.

( the ones that came with the firmware will be OK )

If you want to load new tours or user data, you will need to use my PEC editor

http://members.optus...om.au/johansea/

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#5 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:03 PM

Thanks, Oz. I haven't purchased the cables to do firmware updates. In fact, the idea scares me enough at the moment that I'll likely wait until it becomes absolutely necessary lol.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics