•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepieces with good eye relief

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 StarCurious

StarCurious

Messenger

• Loc: York Region, Ontario

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

25585 and Scott,

Thanks for some very illuminating points

Eyepiece choices are hard to make.  Switching eyepieces are even harder to decide on.  There is always some trade off.

For now, I will keep the LVW65 17mm, as it is a good eyepiece that is no longer made.

• 25585 likes this

#27 StarCurious

StarCurious

Messenger

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

About the ES68 24mm.

I do have to move a bit to see the full FOV, but at such (longer) focal length, I usually don't need to see the full FOV.  I bought it because it was the widest AFOV I could find for 1.25" eyepiece, with acceptable eye relief.  This way I almost only need  1.25" filters.

I have a 2" ES82 30mm which is seldom used.  I don't have 2" filters.

#28 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

25585 and Scott,

Thanks for some very illuminating points

Eyepiece choices are hard to make. Switching eyepieces are even harder to decide on. There is always some trade off.

For now, I will keep the LVW65 17mm, as it is a good eyepiece that is no longer made.

The 17LVW is fantastic. I have one. One of the best in a highly regarded series. Seemingly little point in swapping out for a Delite with virtually identical specs. But I haven’t compared them.

Scott
  • 25585 likes this

#29 seasparky89

seasparky89

Mariner 2

• Loc: Springfield, VA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

For excellent eye relief I use:

Orion expanse - relatively inexpensive

Orion Stratus - more costly, but sharper 

Televue Radian - all mine bought used, more expensive, but very high performance.

Stan

#30 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

From experience gained in my quest to buy eyepieces with 20mm or more usable eye relief, descriptions, figures and claims are as varied in accuracy as motor vehicle m.p.g. and emissions claims.

I buy based on photos more than write-ups for comfort, having developed an eye for what will suit me, looking at eye lens recession, barrel width, eyecup type, same folded/screwed down height and removability. I have made misjudgments more from wishful wanting, so try for pre-owned first if possible.

Constant form factor through a range, as for LVWs & Delites, usually means all are good. My first LVW was a 13mm bought pre-owned, still have it, & all the others. The 17mm is a rare FL, moreso than the 22mm, the latter being my favourite & also unchallenged by Delites.

• izar187 likes this

#31 StarCurious

StarCurious

Messenger

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

Well, I just added the ES 2x Focal Extender to my set.

My ES68 24mm, LVW65 17mm, Delos72 12mm will yield effective focal lengths:

2x  12, 8.5, 6

3x         8, 5.67, 4

5x                        4.8, 3.4, 2.4

1.25" filters are connected to the focal extenders.

I might get an 1.25" extension tube for filters when no focal extender is used.

• 25585 likes this

#32 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:25 AM

Another vote for the Baader Morpheus line.  They are comfortable to use, have great optics and while not cheap they aren’t overpriced either.  Plus they have glow in the dark labeling.  How cool is that? :)

Id also agree with whomever brought up the Vixen LVW line.  Of all of the eyepieces I sold a while back when I exited the hobby for a while it would be those that I miss the most. 

• eros312 and 25585 like this

#33 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:17 AM

Another vote for the Baader Morpheus line.  They are comfortable to use, have great optics and while not cheap they aren’t overpriced either.  Plus they have glow in the dark labeling.  How cool is that? smile.gif

Id also agree with whomever brought up the Vixen LVW line.  Of all of the eyepieces I sold a while back when I exited the hobby for a while it would be those that I miss the most. 

If I had to choose between Morpheus & LVW ranges, its a stalemate. My 3 22mm LVWs; Huey, Duey & Louie (2 for bino & a spare), are forever eyepieces. I prefer the 17.5 & 12.5 Morphei to 17 & 13 LVWs. 8 LVW & 9 Morph about even, 6.5 Morph better than 5 LVW, 5 LVW is better than 4.5 Morph. 3.5 LVW is safe!

Have a big heavy ES 2" 2x Barlow. Put that fixed to my 12mm ES92 into a Paracorr & the focuser refused to work, at all. I loosened the tension, pulled the tube up manually to get focus, and locked it down hard. Perhaps a strong precision helical is needed. Back to the 6.5mm Morpheus....

• Mr. Mike likes this

#34 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

I just ordered a 24mm ES68, albeit with some concern about eye relief. I know the 11mm ES82 does not have enough eye relief for me, but the 24/ES68 seems to have a few more mm on tap. 

OK, the ES68 24mm showed up last night. Haven't had a chance to observe through it but it passes the "hold it up to the eye" test with just enough eye relief to see the entire field comfortably with my eye just starting to touch the eyecup. It replaces an old 32mm Plossl that rattled when I picked it up and that I still don't remember ever buying.

I should probably update my signature... *now* I have enough eyepieces laugh.gif

Edited by bridgman, 18 September 2019 - 09:03 PM.

• nicoledoula likes this

#35 clintmk89

clintmk89

Explorer 1

• Loc: East Texas

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

I recently got 3 different Baader Morpheus EP’s and I have to say they have good eye relief but are very pricey (wait and hunt for deals on used/like new). Also got a Baader Hyperion 21mm a couple weeks ago and I like that one as well, sometimes kinda hard to find the right spot to look through but good relief and not very expensive (used around 85-110$).
  • 25585 likes this

#36 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:38 AM

I recently got 3 different Baader Morpheus EP’s and I have to say they have good eye relief but are very pricey (wait and hunt for deals on used/like new). Also got a Baader Hyperion 21mm a couple weeks ago and I like that one as well, sometimes kinda hard to find the right spot to look through but good relief and not very expensive (used around 85-110$).

Thy can be found used for a better deal and also keep an eye on sales.  The good news is that there are excellent eyepieces out there for very reasonable money these days.  Just shop and if you see a deal, jump it! ;)

• 25585 likes this

#37 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

I bought mine in sales, open box and customer returns. I reckon I saved 250 that way, enough to get one free in current prices.

#38 Distortion78

Distortion78

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

Recently got a few Pentax XW and the 20mm seemed excellent last night. Wouldn't have bought them new but got a decent deal on the classifieds. Might have to purchase a Morpheus, which one would you guys recommend?

#39 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

Recently got a few Pentax XW and the 20mm seemed excellent last night. Wouldn't have bought them new but got a decent deal on the classifieds. Might have to purchase a Morpheus, which one would you guys recommend?

17.5 might be too close, so a 14mm maybe.

#40 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Depends on what XWs you just got. I get the impression the performance of the Morpheus is pretty consistent across the range, so just a matter of filling in your remaining gaps. Unless you want to do head to head, winner stays, loser gets sold.

Scott

#41 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:11 PM

From the reviews it appears the 14 mm is the least corrected, but all are generally liked. I have the 12.5, and it gives my 13NT6 a good run for the money. The Morpheus has much longer eye relief, and thus the afov seems larger than the 76 degrees advertised.

For long eye relief and super sharp views nothing beats my XW’s. I recommend them from 10 mm down.

Edited by SteveG, 19 September 2019 - 05:14 PM.

• CeleNoptic and j.gardavsky like this

#42 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

I love my XW 10 but could not get on with the shorter FL XWs as their exit pupil became more finicky.

Morpheus 6.5mm is easier that way.

However I bought a Pentax XL 5.2mm and that is better than the XW 5mm. Morpheus 4.5mm comes in between.

Wearing glasses, I have to be in the "hover" observing style, or very lightly touching my glasses lenses against the end of an eyepiece, to stop the glasses being scratched or smeared. For that reason an eyepiece needs to not only have long eye relief, but because head movement however small will happen, lack of any kind of view cut-off or exit pupil disappearing is crucial.         

#43 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

I get the impression the performance of the Morpheus is  pretty consistent across the range

Nope, not consistent, just an opposite, as  SteveG noted above. According to Ernest's bench tests the best were the 6.5 and 9mm followed by the 4.5mm followed by the 12.5mm (N11T6 showed better correction off-axis for FC) and the 14mm was the weakest (the 17.5mm wasn't not tested).

The Morpheus has much longer eye relief, and thus the afov seems larger than the 76 degrees advertised.

To be precise Ernest found (see link above) that all the Morphei tested had actually 78*AFOV except the 6.5mm which had 79*AFOV.

Edited by CeleNoptic, 21 September 2019 - 08:17 PM.

• SteveG, SeattleScott and nicoledoula like this

#44 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

Nope, not consistent, just an opposite, as  SteveG noted above. According to Ernest's bench tests the best were the 6.5 and 9mm followed by the 4.5mm followed by the 12.5mm (N11T6 showed better correction off-axis for FC) and the 14mm was the weakest (the 17.5mm wasn't not tested).

To be precise Ernest found (see link above) that all the Morphei tested had actually 78*AFOV except the 6.5mm which had 79*AFOV.

Good read. The eyecup issue has been sorted by Baader. F4.5 probably right, my fastest scope is F5.

An update to include the 17.5mm would be welcome.

#45 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:28 PM

All Pentax XW's, Delos, and DeLites have 20mm of eye relief--plenty for viewing with glasses. Ethos have 15 which makes it tight viewing with glasses. If you have little astigmatism, you would find the Ethos eyepieces having plenty of eye relief. As you crowd 10mm or less of eye relief, viewing gets challenging. I find my eyes get tired from the strain. That's why I do most of my viewing through eyepieces having 15 to 20 mm of eye relief. There are a few Naglers which approach 20mm of eye relief. Check the specs on other eyepiece brands. They will list the amount of eye relief. 

• 25585 likes this

#46 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:34 PM

Eye relief published, even if accurate, is just one factor. If the eye lens is recessed, eyecup lowest setting too high, &/or other ergonomic reasons, the usable eye relief can be reduced enough. 20mm = 2cms, not a lot even if the full amount is usable.

Then there is exit pupil attainment, retention and behaviour. I found Delites good here, but not Delos or T4 Naglers. TV 40mm plossl good, less so their 32mm.

Different FL eps in a range can have good and bad exit pupil behaviour. Pentax XW 10mm good, 7mm downwards less so. Pentax XL 5.2mm better than XW 5mm.

Some eyepiece ranges eye relief shortens (too much) but their exit pupil behaviour is better. Comparing Naglers 13mm T1 & 12mm T2 was an example.

So it's not just eye relief on its own, but how much work an eye does not have to do, how much an eyepiece becomes a natural extension of an observer's eye, not a challenge to it that counts. Like wearing glasses, whether prescription lenses or just shades. We are not in the forces having to adapt as best possible to designated equipment, however good. Designers making good optics should be designing both comfort and performance with equal priority. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics