•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Greasy veil over my area in Nor-Cal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

I've been plagued with a thin veil of smoke or something over my skies last week plus in this bortle 3 zone.

May be because of fires . Just my DSO's do not pop and had only half the count of stars in the great square as on ordinary night, and  reduced naked eye visibility of the stars around Ursa minor ect. Poor visibility of known naked eye dso's

Early on in session and after some great seeing and watching Europa begin to transit the disk of Jupiter- the planet suddenly appeared smeared as if someone had smeared the EP with something.  Bright stars were smeared,  Conditions were high 70s  dry ,-and lite wind.

Both nights were about the same  ,hazy and milky , I packed up early - my observing list was useless, so observed the brighter globs.

The sky kept tricking me into thinking it was going to clear up , but the fine structure and dark clouds in the MW and well as the great rift were poorly defined.

Any of you others had a similar recent New Moon experience here up this way in Northern Ca?

I did try here but doesn't shows clear for those two days / nights https://waqi.info/#/...5/-121.418/8.2z

Even Solar seems a tad hazy...

Edited by Stardust Dave, 03 September 2019 - 01:00 PM.

#2 Venator

Venator

Explorer 1

• Loc: Alameda, CA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

I went out Sunday night in Pioneer, CA around 4000’. SQM-L read around 21.4. It was a great night overall and I knocked out 11 H-400 objects. I did notice brighter stars, while pinpoint, had a small amount of fuzzy dispersion/ haziness around them. At least more than usual. Astrospheric seemed to agree with this, saying general transparency was excellent, minus showing a low level of smoke haze present on the smoke data overlay.

Edited by Venator, 03 September 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#3 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for reporting that Venator. smile.gif 

I'm about 150 miles WNW of that location - Pioneer . 

Might be one of us CN'ers nearby (below Redding or N of Napa) that that experienced that haze.

#4 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

No problems here, and no major incidents reported by CalFire:

https://fire.ca.gov/incidents/

Maybe local agricultural burning?

• Stardust Dave likes this

#5 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

I observed twice last week at Lake Sonoma, near Geyserville (probably well south of you), and the transparency was pretty average for the site on both nights, about 21.4.

#6 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Steve .

Lake Sonoma roughly 30 miles SW of my location. Good you had clear skies out that way.smile.gif

We're an AG county here so wouldn't be surprised if the haze was confined our local area. 

Hadn't found another observer I know locally that was out those nights to compare notes.

Edited by Stardust Dave, 05 September 2019 - 05:55 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics