•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Favorite TV/Movie astronomy oddities

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 abaum

abaum

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mesa, AZ

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:06 PM

What are some of your favorite astronomy related oddities that you seen on TV or in the movies?  One of mine is in the remake of Battlestar Galactica.  In Season 2, episode 7: they find the "map" to earth and use names of the constellations that we are familiar with (Cancer, Leo, etc), but then they notice a nebula and literally refer to it as the Lagoon Nebula.  Even goes so far as to call it M8.      

Now how would a group of people from across the galaxy know about Messier designations?

adam

Edited by abaum, 03 September 2019 - 03:07 PM.

• WarmWeatherGuy, Astrola72, Steve Cox and 1 other like this

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

In the movie Out To Sea there is a boat cruise taking people to see a total solar eclipse. The eclipse happens and then that night there is a full moon.

• petert913, Astrola72 and Steve Cox like this

#3 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:46 PM

What are some of your favorite astronomy related oddities that you seen on TV or in the movies?  One of mine is in the remake of Battlestar Galactica.  In Season 2, episode 7: they find the "map" to earth and use names of the constellations that we are familiar with (Cancer, Leo, etc), but then they notice a nebula and literally refer to it as the Lagoon Nebula.  Even goes so far as to call it M8.      

Now how would a group of people from across the galaxy know about Messier designations?

adam

I was watching that part of that episode the other day and caught that.  I sat thinking did they really just do that.  Kind of ruined the rest of the episode for me; at least the original 1979 series left some things to our imagination/reasoning.

As to how they'd know about Messier, they wouldn't as the series timeline was supposedly about 100,000 years before Messier.

• Joe1950 likes this

#4 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

I notice a lot of Sun & Moon movement right to left.

• Traveler and Joe1950 like this

#5 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

"It's the ship (The Millennium Falcon) that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

• Todd N, abaum and bobharmony like this

#6 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:22 AM

From Jodie Foster's character in the 1997 film Contact:

"Right Ascension 18 hours 36 Minutes, 56.2 Seconds. Declination, left. 36 degrees 46 Minutes 56.2 Seconds."

That jumped out at me in the theater all those years ago. Carl Sagan passed away during production. He probably would have found it both logical and humorous at the same time.

• Joe1950 likes this

#7 SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

I do appreciate it when a TV show or movie puts in the effort to show the actual stars in the sky rather than some random dots. The Expanse (formerly on SyFy, now Amazon Prime, and hands down the best sci fi show on TV) spends a lot of time showing ships flying through space, and the stars/constellations in the background are spot on.

• Joe1950 likes this

#8 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

I do appreciate it when a TV show or movie puts in the effort to show the actual stars in the sky rather than some random dots. The Expanse (formerly on SyFy, now Amazon Prime, and hands down the best sci fi show on TV) spends a lot of time showing ships flying through space, and the stars/constellations in the background are spot on.

Where they flying around in the vicinity of Earth ?

• Joe1950 likes this

#9 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

In the original Star Trek series episode, A Taste Of Armageddon, Kirk says the enterprise in on the way to the planet Eminiar VII in the star cluster NGC 321 in order to establish diplomatic relations.

I thought, wow they used an NGC number. But when I looked it up, NGC 321 is actually a barred spiral galaxy in Cetus.

The writers (Hamner and Coon) used the NGC designation and then obviously just added the numbers 321 without knowing what that object actually was.

It sounded official though.

Bob

• Joe1950 likes this

#10 SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Where they flying around in the vicinity of Earth ?

Yep, the show's set in the not too distant future, couple hundred years from now, right here in our very own solar system. Everyone, watch this show!

#11 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:43 AM

I see this ALL the time, in a TV show where there is a telescope in the background, it's usually upside down. Such as a reflector with the mirror in the up position, even seen on Big Bang Theory Raj's Celestron SCT aimed out the window backwards.

Steve Martin's movie Roxanne, when she looks through her telescope at a comet you see flames coming off of it real time!

• Joe1950 likes this

#12 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

I just restarted this series, I think I saw the first 8. Had to start w/ season 2, that's what the library had on hand. So in s2 ep1or2 there's a seen where they 'spaced' a guy and he literally FELL out the airlock like you would out a window. 

• paul and Joe1950 like this

#13 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

In Battlestar Galactica the spacecraft approach the landing zone with their thrust out the back (like a jet) which would cause them to go faster and faster as they approach the "runway." People are standing next to the spacecraft as they launch into space yet they can breath.

Also on that series they always fly with their engines running. If they run out of gas and their engines quit that causes a planet or a moon to appear so they can fall down and crash because they ran out of fuel.

#14 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

In Superman Returns Superman returns to Earth after spending five years in space examining his homeworld Krypton. If he traveled at the speed of light he would have gone 2.5 light-years there and back. The nearest star is 4+ light-years away. Lois Lane doesn't ask him what is out there. In fact nobody is the least bit curious about what he saw so far away.

#15 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

In Lost in Space, the Jupiter 2 spaceship had artificial gravity, yet when the ship swayed back and forth to avoid asteroids, the people inside would fall side to side as if the gravity was outside the ship... since the artificial gravity was within the ship, they would not notice the crazy motion of the spaceship.

#16 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:05 AM

It really bothers me when they make a binoculars vision, they put two circles. But really why do they do this? Only one circle is seen, how difficult is it?

• helpwanted likes this

#17 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

oh... Steve Austin's bionic eye... would he even need an eyepiece in a telescope?

• faackanders2 likes this

#18 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:33 AM

It really bothers me when they make a binoculars vision, they put two circles. But really why do they do this? Only one circle is seen, how difficult is it?

I hate that too!

#19 harbinjer

harbinjer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:36 PM

In Lost in Space, the Jupiter 2 spaceship had artificial gravity, yet when the ship swayed back and forth to avoid asteroids, the people inside would fall side to side as if the gravity was outside the ship... since the artificial gravity was within the ship, they would not notice the crazy motion of the spaceship.

Wouldn't there be inertia though? Or do they have "inertial dampeners" like the Enterprise? Also which Lost in Space are you talking about?(first, movie, or recent netflix?)

#20 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

the TV show from (before my time) the 60s

#21 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

adam

What a coincidence?  (but how else would viewers be able to look up M8 Lagoon Nebula  on the internet).  A better choice would have been the Orion Nebula, Adromeda Nebula, or Milkyway with sources of radio waves) life found in it!

#22 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

oh... Steve Austin's bionic eye... would he even need an eyepiece in a telescope?

night vision bionic eye - would anyone really do it if possible?

#23 hdavid

hdavid

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:02 PM

With rare exceptions, aliens all speak English, even to each other.  But then so did Germans in those old WWII movies. Must be a Hollywood thing -- part of the contract.  Thanks to Hollywood, native English speakers are the only people in the universe who don't need to know a second language.  Which, depriving us of that mental exercise, has made us just about the dumbest people in the universe.

• rutherfordt and BradFran like this

#24 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:50 AM

I would have to say Space 1999, knocking the moon out of orbit drifting through space. What happened to everyone on earth when this happened? 

Oh and another one is the Queen Flash Gordon movie. Ming ask his minion what planet is that? The minion replies Earth. Ming says we shall have fun with this planet and the first natural disaster button he pushes is EARTH quake. So I guess that button doesn't work on any other planet :p

Edited by Kyphoron, 17 October 2019 - 07:11 AM.

#25 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Yes, 1999. I only watched a few episodes. One of them mentioned how far the Moon was now from Earth and it was some huge distance like a light-year or so.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics