•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution of an observer - Messier 17

observing observing report sketching dso
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Erwin V.

Erwin V.

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Burton Green, UK

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:05 AM

Hi, I am Erwin. This is my first posting on this Forum. I have been an avid observer since I was a teenager. But as happens to so many, studies and work forced a break on my observing. But in the last few years I got back into it. I live in a suburban setting (Bortle 5) in the UK. I want to share a series of sketches I have made of Messier 17 through three different scopes. It illustrate to me how growing experience and equipment improves the view. It always gives me a buzz to record faint details (often peripherally) and then back inside see those same details confirmed in photos. I hope to add (even) more detailed views of this nebula in the future. 

Erwin

m17_compilation.png

• Inkswitch, ArizonaScott, rustynpp and 16 others like this

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

Erwin, welcome and nice job on the progreesive nature of larger apertures.

David 

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

As you are UK add a town at least and UK to your profile.

Otherwise you will find a lot of replies anserws etc are US assumed and so can be irrelevant. Simple ines like buy a Stellarvue or Astronomics scope are impossible. Additionally prices are or can be somewhat different.

Just makes it a bit easier, well sometimes makes it a bit easier.

I wonder what a "Bortle 5" sky means, or Bortle anything..

I have never yet bothered to find out. I keep it simple:: Good, Bad and an occasional Maybe,

Also at midnight my skies change, they switch off the street lights. Suppose that means they could go from say 7 to 4 in 30 seconds.

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

The evolution of an observer is, in my view, independent of aperture and dependent on improving our knowledge, skill, and technique and gaining experience. There are two ways to see more: larger aperture and paying attention. Of course larger aperture brings it to you, but you can always go after it, too. In every aperture.
  • IMB likes this

#5 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

Welcome Erwin! Excellent first post. I'm sure the folks over in the sketching forum would appreciate your contributions as well. It's a terrific illustration of the dramatic effects of increased aperture. 

I look forward to seeing more of your sketches.

• Asbytec likes this

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:52 AM

Absolutely, CN has one of the better sketching fora I am aware of. Lots of participation. And sketching, in my view, is a great way to evolve as an observer. We tend to pay very attention to our subject.

#7 Spartinix

Spartinix

Ranger 4

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:49 PM

Welcome Erwin. Like you I got into observing as a teenager but then work came, and a family, in the middle of the light polluted city of Ghent, Belgium. I observed M17 as a teenager with my 2.4" refractor and then with my 8" F4.. The difference was phenomenal. Fast forward 22 years I emigrated to Crete. M17 was one of the first objects I came back to. This time I had 14 inches, and darker sky to enjoy it. Better skies has unfortunately not (yet) cured my aperture fever. Love your drawings!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, observing report, sketching, dso

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics