•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My First Post and New Skymaster 15 X 70's Today

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 fatrowbridge

fatrowbridge

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I have viewed posts on Cloudy Nights for a long time. I became interested in Astronomy as a hobby when my son brought home a planisphere project from school 6 years ago. I lived in Liberty MO then and purchased an 8" Dob and then a NextStar 5. Through a job loss and moves I find myself in South Carolina, in a darker place than I have lived in years. Anyway, today I drove to Atlanta and purchased a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15 X 70's. I did this instead of ordering on line so I could "feel" the binoculars, as I have not used these instruments before.

They appear solid, good optically, and I can hold them without shaking. I also got a ball mount and a monopod (I had a camera tripod already). Tonight I will use them for the first time.

This is wordy and rambling- it is my first post to Cloudy Nights, and I need to start somehow- so it is an introduction mainly.

I have the typical targets in mind tonight, except I am going to move around alot :) freedom, thats why I got the monopod.

Any suggestions on targets for a 48 year old guy used to a FOV of 1 degree moving to a 4 degree FOV?

Mostly--- HELLO

#2 Les

Les

Viking 1

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Alex,

Congrats on your new binos and 1st post. I must be a real "gurly man" since I am not comfortable hand holding even 7x50s. :lol:

Les

#3 fatrowbridge

fatrowbridge

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

Les,

Thanks for replying, we'll see how well I can hold them tonight- That's why I got the Monopod. Also I am 6'4" and I hate bending down. So I will sit and adjust the monopod (and use my elbows on my too ample belly) for stability.

Thanks for the reply, and Hello!

#4 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

Welcome aboard Alex, and Congrats on your new 15X70! I also use a 15X70 and enjoy them. They are especially enjoyable when mounted on a tripod!

Cheers!
Bob in NM

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

Alex -

As another 6'4" Skymaster owner who uses a monopod, I'd like to say welcome to the bino-bin!

Those 15x70's are a great all around bargain.

As for targets - sprawling open clusters look great at 15x. Depending on the time of year - M45, Alpha Persei Association, Orion's Belt, M35, M50, Perseus Double Cluster (might need dark skies for this one to impress in a 15x70), Hyades, M44, M42, M24, and anything within the Summer Milky Way of Cygnus. The moon looks nice also. Lunar occultations are nice in the 15x70. I saw the Moon occult the Pleiades and it was more pleasing in the 15x70 than the 25x100. Oh yeah, don't forget meteors and comets.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

I would start in Sag/Sco and move up the Milky Way-enjoy tonight.

edj

#7 fellers

fellers

Apollo

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Welcome aboard, glad to have you! Don't forget to check out M8 the Lagoon Nebula in the southern sky. Looks pretty excellent in my 20x85 stellarvue binocs. That whole area is a treat to glass around with a pair of binocs. Check out this site www.3towers.com/messier It is excellent to know what you are looking for when searching out (M) objects with a sky chart or planisphere.

#8 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

Welcome to CN, Alex. You've gotten your new binocs at just the right time. Cygnus rises early, and Sagittarius is up at elevenish. These two constellations and their environs were created for wide angle binocular viewing. Just swing through them, back and forth, up and down. You won't be disappointed!

#9 fatrowbridge

fatrowbridge

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Jason,

Thanks for the link. But the actual hypertext in the post needs a .htm at the end (at least for me) or it is a 404 error. Thank you for the link!

#10 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Congrats!! Those are great binos!! Like others have said Cygnus is amazing!!! I use my binos alot along with my scope. The Celestrons have been perfect for me.

#11 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

What uncle Joad said. :ubetcha:
Might need a napkin around your neck to catch the drool. :)

I hope to add a set of 15x70s before too terribly long. ;)

#12 fellers

fellers

Apollo

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

Jason,

Thanks for the link. But the actual hypertext in the post needs a .htm at the end (at least for me) or it is a 404 error. Thank you for the link!

Yep you are right. Sorry about that. Try this out M objects

#13 fatrowbridge

fatrowbridge

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:39 AM

I have really enjoyed the last two nights. Sag Scorp- so many clusters- I only bothered to log a few for my M list- this is more fun than my scope (well maybe just because it is a new perspective). My favorite has been lying on the lawn chair and panning around. Easily steady enough to see clusters and remember the star field for identification.
I had trouble at first "pointing" to the area I wanted, I was always below by about 5 degrees. But now I've learned to point my nose, then raise the Bino's LOL.
Alot of fun so far- a stable mount would help with Jupiter- but I use a scope for that anyway, so no need now.
I got these to just pan around with, and I really enjoy it so far.

#14 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

For several observing lists, See the post titled Observing Targets in the Binocular "Best Of" section pinned at the top.

edz

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:07 AM

I too am new to posting here and I bought a pair of the Skymaster binocs about 2 months ago and I LOVE'EM!!! I'm absolutely additcted - I've been sitting outside every clear night since. I'm by no means a glass afficianado, but I'm thrilled with the views I get with these things - they ARE simply breathtaking!!!! So far, I've caught M5, M13, M92 as well as the dumbell nebula and either the sunflower or catseye galaxy (i'm not sure which yet) with them. I'm trying for M51 but have not had much luck - plus I live in a fairly light polluted area. I also see boatloads of satellites and meteors. I was even lucky enough the other night to catch the space station and I was actually able to catch a very slight hint of the solar panels - I saw two very small "spikes" sticking out on each side of the starlike dot.

I've also found that I am getting a good workout with these things, as I can hold them longer now without having to take rest breaks :) Although, sometimes I wake up the next morning aware of muscles I never knew I had-hehehe... I do have a cheapy camera tripod that I tried but I just can't get a "comfortable" viewing angle with them.

And not to hijack this tread, but I *DO* have one question about something I keep seeing with these and I'm not sure if they are meteors or satellites. They are VERY dim and fast moving, yet if I get lucky I CAN track them across the sky so they're not THAT fast. They're faster than than a typical satellite, but slower than a meteor, don't leave a trail and are dimmer than both. I'm thinking perhaps they're "low orbit" satellites. I can generally see at least 2-4 of them over the course of an hour or two.

P.S. I'm 38 y.o. and have been into astronomy since my first trip to the planetarium in the 2nd grade. I bought my first telescope, a sears "special" in the 8th grade, and I currently own an Orion Atlas 10" reflector and a 70mm transporter. Yet I find that I'm totally addicted to these binoculars.

#16 fellers

fellers

Apollo

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:59 AM

I love my binocs to. Those are definately satellites you are seeing. I see a ton of them every night. Especially areound hercules and cygnus area.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics