•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First look through a Nagler...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 cst4

cst4

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Wow...  I think I get it now.  

I'm fairly new to this hobby, but researching equipment I quickly learned the name Nagler.  I always thought they were out of my budget but I lucked up and was able to snag a used 9mm T6 off eBay for a steal of a price (I don't think the seller really knew what they had).  Got it in the mail last night and took it out for a spin.  Simply put, it's an absolute game changer. 

I used it with my 102ED at about 80x.  I was blown away... wide views, sharp everywhere I looked, and very comfortable.  Felt like I was floating in space.  I screwed on my 2x barlow lens cell to get a higher mag on Saturn and to my surprise somehow it just got even better and more comfortable.  This instantly became my new favorite eyepiece.

I'm realizing though that this EP has spoiled me in just one outing.  I'm already thinking of my other eyepieces as lesser than and wondering what all I can sell in order to acquire more Naglers.

• Jacques, Jon Isaacs, joseph07081 and 15 others like this

#2 GDAstrola

GDAstrola

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Louis

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

Now you have the monkey on your back.

• Procyon, bbqediguana, BGazing and 1 other like this

#3 bdcmd

bdcmd

Messenger

• Loc: Glen Rose, Texas

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

Welcome to the slippery slope!!  lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

The 9T6 has been one of my favorite eyepieces for a long time, now.  I like the light weight, small form factor and excellent optical performance in just about any telescope I have used it in.  Good luck!  I'm sure more will follow.  Look for them used on CN.  The prices are usually very reasonable for the quality.   bdc

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

The Eyepiece Forums....Once you enter, you can never leave....Mwaaaahaha!mrevil.gif 

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

Very cooI ! experienced that way back when the original Nagler "Type Zero" 13mm was launched. Ummm... I believe I have all of the Naglers now... and more... and more...    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 29 Toms Nagler Type Zeros.jpg

• John O'Hara, eros312, Procyon and 1 other like this

#6 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

Don’t look through an Ethos.....

• scotsman328i, John O'Hara, Mike Spooner and 3 others like this

#7 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

I think that a coordinated set of current level Naglers makes one of the smartest high performance eyepiece kits one can have. The T6's are particular favorites of mine.

• Jon Isaacs, bob midiri, John O'Hara and 4 others like this

#8 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

I'm fairly new to this hobby, but researching equipment I quickly learned the name Nagler.  I always thought they were out of my budget but I lucked up and was able to snag a used 9mm T6 off eBay for a steal of a price (I don't think the seller really knew what they had).  Got it in the mail last night and took it out for a spin.  Simply put, it's an absolute game changer. 

I used it with my 102ED at about 80x.  I was blown away... wide views, sharp everywhere I looked, and very comfortable.  Felt like I was floating in space.  I screwed on my 2x barlow lens cell to get a higher mag on Saturn and to my surprise somehow it just got even better and more comfortable.  This instantly became my new favorite eyepiece.

I'm realizing though that this EP has spoiled me in just one outing.  I'm already thinking of my other eyepieces as lesser than and wondering what all I can sell in order to acquire more Naglers.

You're done wink.gif  Once you've tried a premium eyepiece, it's harder (but not impossible) to enjoy the views thorough less complex designs.  However, don't let astronomy become a financial burden, you can build your set gradually.  A 27 Panoptic would provide a nice 4 mm exit pupil.  I find this exit pupil size great for high contrast wide field viewing and many objects just "pop".  A 13 mm T-6 would give you a nice 2 mm exit pupil.  Oh, did I say don't make astronomy a financial burden?  Seriously, enjoy what you have and build up as finances permit.

• brentknight likes this

#9 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Don’t look through an Ethos.....

I did that several years ago when I had the opportunity to compare fellow CN member Dave Mitsky's 13 Ethos to my 13 Nagler T-6.  Shortly after that, I purchased the 13 Ethos.  However, I sometimes miss the 13 T-6 when using a Barlow or Powermate, as I obtain my higher powers through barlowing.  My current "A" lineup is:

• 40 Pentax XL
  • 30 TMB Paragon
  • 20 Nagler T-6
  • 15 Celestron Axiom LX
  • 13 Ethos
  • 11 Nagler T-6
  • 9 Nagler T-6
  • 7 Nagler T-6
  • 2.5x Televue Powermate

I obtain magnifications above what the 7 T-6 provides by coupling the 15 mm and lower focal lengths with the Powermate.  This provides a nice even step-up.  Of course, the 13 Ethos coupled with the Powermate is somewhat unwieldy.

I never did replace all of my Naglers with the Ethos series due to finances, and to the fact that my eyepiece arrangement covers the useful magnification ranges for my scopes (see signature block) so well.   

#10 joseph07081

joseph07081

Ranger 4

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

I finally took the plunge and ordered my first Televue eyepiece, a 7mm Delite. While it does not have the same field expansive view as a Nagler, it certainly was the sharpest member of my modest eyepiece collection. In short order, I now have a 5mm, 7mm, 11mm and 18.2mm, with a used 3mm on the way. For wider fields of view, I purchased a well taken care of 27mm Panoptic. I am thrilled with the clarity of my views compared to my other eyepieces. I should have done this years ago. Welcome to the wonderful world of Televue.

Edited by joseph07081, 04 September 2019 - 07:44 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, John O'Hara and eros312 like this

#11 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

Oh boy... here comes the hurricane... the regulars are breaking out their competitive eyepiece lists and hanging ten...    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 30 surfing hanging ten eyepiece list.jpg

• rustynpp and CrazyPanda like this

#12 aatt

aatt

Surveyor 1

• ***--
  • Loc: CT

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Here is my list of Televue eyepieces:

smile.gif

• punk35, mich_al, nicoledoula and 1 other like this

#13 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:42 PM

Oh boy... here comes the hurricane... the regulars are breaking out their competitive eyepiece lists and hanging ten...    Tom

I gotta say, I do enjoy your pictures, Tom. Did you create that image to have the same background color as a CN post in order to create the "pop out" effect with the speech bubble?! Love the dedication.

To the OP - congrats on your first premium EP. I'm a firm believer in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy when it comes to EPs, to the extent that your finances allow it. A great EP will last many years and many scopes, and a lesser EP will inevitably be upgraded anyway.

• John O'Hara likes this

#14 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

I gotta say, I do enjoy your pictures, Tom. Did you create that image to have the same background color as a CN post in order to create the "pop out" effect with the speech bubble?! Love the dedication.

To the OP - congrats on your first premium EP. I'm a firm believer in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy when it comes to EPs, to the extent that your finances allow it. A great EP will last many years and many scopes, and a lesser EP will inevitably be upgraded anyway.

Hi, rusty; thanks for the compliment! Yes, regarding the 3-D concoction in the attached images. All I did was to screen-print the CN page and save that as an image, then use that to "sample/identify" the background color, and use it as background in my doctored images. So, when I attach it... that's the trick.

I used to derive the math and then code up image-processing software decades ago, back when computer graphics was just starting to explosively burgeon. I was/am both an optical engineer and a mathematician... so imaging graphics was a perfect fit. Most of my work was 3-D graphics that (finally) went far beyond what was available at the time. Although I do almost entirely visual astronomy at home, I (too often) horn-in on the imaging folks discussions here, if I think some explanations are getting off-track. It's probably a ~personality flaw~ in that I know too much and can't keep my mouth shut! I believe that most professional and amateur imaging fans tend to way over-process their creations. Like kids who got into mom's makeup kit, for the 1st time... but, fortunately... on Halloween! [Oh boy... there I go, again!]   Tom

#15 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:36 PM

Very cooI ! experienced that way back when the original Nagler "Type Zero" 13mm was launched. Ummm... I believe I have all of the Naglers now... and more... and more...    Tom

Nostalgic picture smile.gif

Despite its many shortcomings, my first UWA was the original 13mm. A true love-hate relationship, which gave me joy and frustration, ultimately more of the latter resulting in its sale.

It took 30 years and the innovative ES92 12mm to get the same thrills & wows but no growls. Tele Who?   

Edited by 25585, 04 September 2019 - 11:37 PM.

• nicoledoula likes this

#16 Spartinix

Spartinix

Ranger 4

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:18 AM

Oh you're ****** now. I had a nice set of ep's. Then came the Nagler 20T2 and Panoptic 35. Being obsessed by wide apparent field I added an Ethos 13 and Paracorr II. I sold everything, and now I bought a used Ethos 21 to start over.. Next should be the PCII (again), the 13 (again), and then the 8.. But I have time and I will just enjoy low power wide field for now. Enjoy that eyepiece!

Edited by Spartinix, 05 September 2019 - 12:21 AM.

#17 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

With me, it started with the 13mm T6.  I distinctly remember first light on that eyepiece was the Leo Trio (M65, M66, NGC 3628) and the clarity across the field just blew me away.  It took me 8 years to save up for and acquire the others.  They are a great match for my 16" F4.5.  I use my 9mm T6 quite frequently on planets.  The 31mm T5 was quite a jaw-dropper too!  I remember first-lighting the 31mm on M31/32/101!  cool.gif

• 25585 likes this

#18 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

There are many of us who went through this same mental exercise.

Welcome to the Dark Side -- we have invested all of our retirement money in high quality oculars…. and we love them! lol.gif 

Cheers,

Ron

• Scott in NC, John O'Hara, oldphysics and 1 other like this

#19 Joku_

Joku_

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

• 20 Nagler T-6

I presume that you mean 20mm Nagler T5? Or has there been a 20mm Nagler T6? confused1.gif

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

For some reason, I can't find my T3s anywhere....

#21 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, the T6 series is very nice, small and compact. When I first got my used 13mm it took me a little while to keep my head in the right place and not get black out. Now it's know problem, a favorite EP of mine. I never tried a barlow on it, but will give it a try on Jupiter and Saturn next time out. I have the 19mm Pan by them and that's another favorite in that focal range. It fit's my eye socket like a glove!

• jeffmac and nicoledoula like this

#22 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

I presume that you mean 20mm Nagler T5? Or has there been a 20mm Nagler T6? confused1.gif

You caught the typo.  It's a 20 T-5.

#23 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:31 PM

The Nagler 9T-6 was my first 82 degree eyepiece.  I purchased it for my 6" f/8 refractor based on something I read in the Observers' Handbook in the early 2000's.  I think it presented a formula that provided the minimum magnification to theoretically resolve all of the detail in an image.  I believe it was:

100/(4.56/Aperture), basically, 100 divided by Dawes' limit for that telescope.  

I used to swear by these canned formulas, and in fact this eyepiece is one of my most used in that scope.  These days I know to take these formulas as a general guide.  Nevertheless, this eyepiece opened my eyes to premium wide field viewing.

#24 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

Yikes! cst4 seems to have simultaneously opened Pandoras Box and popped the cork on a bottle of Dom Perignon!

Attached Thumbnails

• 41 Pandoras Box.jpg
  • 43 Dom Perignon.jpg

#25 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

Oh, yeah. Good 'ol Al caused a flood of Erfles to hit the used market when the 13mm Nagler came to being. Suddenly all those big fast light buckets had nice tight stars alllllllllll the way across the huge field. Made you wallet cry like a baby though. AND, probably caused a LOT of guys to sleep on the couch for more than a few nights when their wives found out just how much that new eyepiece cost. I still cringe at the memory all these years later. Then came the 9, the 7, the 4.8 and that old couch became a familiar - and comfortable - friend. smile.gif  Never did get the 11.  frown.gif

Congratulations of having your eye's mind blown. Unfortunately, once stung by the bug, there's no cure. The larva enters through the eye and burrows deep into the brain causing a massive release of endorphins. I DARE you to try to stay away from eyepiece ads now. Hehehehe.

• eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics