•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM major mistake help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

Accidentally left my telescope on last night, put it to the home position but didn’t put it into hibernate.  I covered the scope, I left the house early this morning and didn’t notice that it had moved, when I got back this afternoon the scope was butted up against one of the legs and I could hear the gears still trying to move.  I powered it off and put it back to the home position.  When I turn it back on it moves or at least tries to move with pulse like movements not fluid and this is while the hand piece is till verifying package.  I powered off again and unplugged the power and then tried powering it on again. Same thing. 

I can go through the normal setup up process while the mount is still trying to move.  It doesn’t move fluidly.  Also I cannot use the arrows to move the move.  The movement is like a stutter. 

Did I just damage my mount?

Thanks for the help

#2 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

What model is the mount?

#3 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

Ya that would help, Celestron Dx series CGEM, 

#4 scopewizard

scopewizard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

Try using a different power source. If it was connected to a battery, try a different one or switch to power plugin. You need to eliminate items one by one. If it does not change then you will have to look at the motor, possibly loose gears or worst situation damaged gear. The motor internal gears are normally nylon and can break. You are not there yet. One step at the times to avoid making things worst.

#5 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

I am using outlet ac from house, no battery. I tried unplugging power and replugging in into same outlet but didn’t wait any significant time and still same problem. 

#6 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

When I disconnect the Hand control the motor stops , when I reconnect the hand control the gear drive starts again

#7 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:16 PM

Ok so I left unplugged for a couple of minutes and that seemed to stop the motor from shuttering on start up, but once I started the align process and the mount started slewing the power to mount went out. So I checked the connection at the mount where you screw the cord in.  It was tight but when I press down on it from the top it would either initiate the motor or lose power.  So I think I have a short behind the face plate. My plan is to take off the plate tomorrow and further investigate. 

#8 scopewizard

scopewizard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

Your problem might be the plug on the cord.

I would investigate that item first before opening the scope.

If you have a car lighter plugin cord try that. If the problem is the same then move to the scope plug.

#9 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

Cord was fine, I took the face plate of and the connection behind seems a little loose.  Looks like I have to replace the board.  When I leave the face plate of the scope seems to work fine but when I put the face plate back on then I get the studdering of the scope really bizarre. I haven't had time to place with it over the last few days.

Is there a way to bypass the star alignment so I can test directional buttons?

#10 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

There should be a quick align option. 

-Dave 

#11 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

It might be a loose connection. Try using a sharp knife to slightly seperate the pin in the scope power socket (the center pin is split down the middle).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics