•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wednesday Night Jovian Events

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

Thursday, September 5, 2019 (UT Date)

00:04 UT, Io begins transit of Jupiter.
01:22 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
02:16 UT, Io ends transit of Jupiter.
03:38 UT, Io's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.

https://www.skyandte...cript-utility/#

09/05/2019 @ 02:59 UT GRS transit of the CM

https://www.skyandte...great-red-spot/

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the stats Dave.  I noticed that these events were going to happen tonight with my old Meridian program. The Red Spot and Io both transit the central meridian about 7:30 MST here in Tucson. We have a lot of puffy clouds around due to residual monsoon activity.  Hopefully they will pass through or I can catch part of it between the clouds.

Frank

#3 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Dave,

Thanks as always for taking the time to post these reminders - they are always helpful, even as a reminder of something we already mentally checked as an important date.

For us West Coasters, we've been in a cycle where Io and Europa are transiting too early (as is the case here) or too late. For us though, local time tomorrow night the 5th is a winner for Ganymede's shadow (Ganymede will already have transited before dark).

#4 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

For us West Coasters, we've been in a cycle where Io and Europa are transiting too early (as is the case here) or too late. For us though, local time tomorrow night the 5th is a winner for Ganymede's shadow (Ganymede will already have transited before dark).

Yup.

I'm going to try to catch the tail end of the Io transit, if I can pick Jupiter out of the sky early enough.

Edited by vdog, 04 September 2019 - 10:06 PM.

• Codbear likes this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

I observed the shadow transit, or at least tried to, as Jupiter was sinking into the southwestern sky using the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at the Naylor Observatory.  While the transparency was rather good early on last night, the seeing was very bad and, even with the scope stopped down to 10 inches and using the lowest magnification available, namely 116x, Jupiter was a seething mess.  I was able to catch fleeting glimpses of the shadow from time to time, however.

#6 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

Observed here in Tucson with the 150 Mak but had to dodge clouds for 45 minutes before giving up.  The clouds were loaded with heat and you could see the increase in turbulence as a cloud would approach Jupiter. Never got a really steady view of Io's shadow for more than a second or so.  Red Spot wasn't bad and was very noticeable. Another "bust" IMO.

Maybe I'll have better luck tonight with Ganymede's shadow transit (starting about 8:30 MST/PDT)

Frank

Tucson

#7 astrochef

astrochef

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South East Michigan

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

I managed to squeeze in some time on Jupiter last night before the haze, and then clouds, shut me down.  The seeing was bad here as well, but maybe a little better than Dave had.  I was able to see Io's shadow clearly along with the GRS (only my second time catching the GRS this apparition) but just couldn't spot Io itself until it popped off the disc of Jupiter and said "here I am".

My daughter joined me for a little while so she could discuss it with her astronomy teacher today.  I had let her know to tell him of the events yesterday.  Yep, doing my best to help her suck up.   

I did manage one of my fuzzy, poorly resolved cell phone pics.  Nothing to write home about but at least you can make out the GRS and Io's shadow.  I'll attach just for kicks.

It was definitely not the best observing night but hey... It was an observing night and I haven't had many of those lately. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Jup9419.jpg

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#8 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

Jupiter was super visible at 7:30, so I caught it no problem.  Bad seeing here here too, so I caught only a few glimpses of it as well.

Edited by vdog, 05 September 2019 - 06:53 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics