•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Meade F8 ACF scope

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ettu

Ettu

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: 45N90W Wisconsin USA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone have any images taken with the 12" version of this scope?

I am considering getting one for photography, primarily because of its native f8 design.

But I don't want to get it only to be disappointed with the images it takes

Specifically, I'm looking for an unretouched full frame DSLR image of something I too can take an image of (5-10min exposure iso 1600) during the dark of the moon in Sept.

For comparison against my C11Edge.

My expectations are that the stars will be round to the edges (as advertised, but probably progressively bloated), but with no RGB star separation.

Also, I don't know what to expect regarding vignetting?

Some bloating and vignetting compared to the C11 would be acceptable.

I don't want to purchase Meade's 12" f8 ACF OTA for photography, and have to return it for a 15% restocking charge, to find out the hard way that it is unacceptable.

Thank you

Ettu

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

Do a search for Meade 12" ACF on astrobin?  You may find exactly what you're looking for, or be able to contact imagers who could provide you with what you're after.

#3 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

@Ettu

I only have pictures taken with the 14" f/8 ACF using a DSLR. 

I am very pleased with the optics.  The focuser is excellent on the optics: no image shifting or flopping.  Images taken with the APS-C chip the field are flat.  When using the Optec Lepus Reducer bringing the f/8 -> f/4.97 there is some vignetting.

Also, I discovered the 2" AstroTech Field Flattener to flatten the field if you are using larger imaging chips.

• RossW likes this

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

I have imaged with the 6" and 8" f/10s with excellent results. I was initially shocked to see round stars with my off-axis guider; I was used to guiding on stars that looked like comets. :)

The ACF optics are wonderful!

#5 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:10 PM

A full frame chip will vignette on a 2 inch focuser tube because the ID is too small. I have both the 10" and 16" ACF f10 SCTs and the 10" has substantial field curvature at the corners and what I suspect is astig but the 16 is quite good in the corners of a 24x36mm chip. Will you post your full frame edge images?

Edited by 555aaa, 09 September 2019 - 06:11 PM.

• SandyHouTex and RossW like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics