•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Window XP won't login, immediate log off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 iwitness91

iwitness91

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Recently, I was scanning my computer with a McAfee Virus Scanner until all of the sudden my computer froze and was force to turn off my computer. Now, I'm unable to log on in the welcoming/account screem. Everytime I enter my password it logs on then immediately logs off. A McAfee pops up saying that theres a suspect file and reccommends to scan the computer when I'm not logged on. I'm a newbie with computer so can anyone help me?

#2 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:04 PM

get into safe mode and try last known good config...!!

How to start Windows XP in Safe mode

Situation:
You have encountered a problem in Windows XP, and you want to restart in Safe mode.

Solution:

There is more than one way to do this. The method that we recommend is presented first.

Recommended method:

Windows XP includes the System Configuration Utility. If you can start the computer normally into Windows, this is the easiest--and the recommended--way to restart the computer in Safe mode.

1) To configure the System Configuration Utility to start the computer in Safe mode:

Close all open programs.

Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.

Type "msconfig" and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility appears. Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK.

You then see the prompt to restart the computer. Click Restart.

The computer restarts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)

Note: When you finish with all troubleshooting (in Safe mode) repeat these steps and clear "/SAFEBOOT" then close all of the programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

2) To start Windows XP in Safe mode, single operating system:

Use this method if XP is the only operating system installed on your computer.

Start Windows, or if it is running, shut Windows down, and then turn off the computer.

Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process.

As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

Note: If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will generate a "keyboard error" message. Please restart, and then try again.

Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

:bow:

#3 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

** If you are still unable to boot normally **

1. When computer restarts, press F8 to access Advanced Menu.

2. Use arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, press Enter.

3. Select operating system, press Enter.

4. "Safe Mode" screen will come up and then a login screen will appear, select Administrator.

You will come to another black screen with a blue bar across the top that says "cmd.exe". Note about CMD.EXE- This is a limited command line prompt, you must type exactly what you see. The letters "cd" stand for change directory and are followed by one space and then the directory name. Please use the key above the "Enter" key for the backslash character "\". Press Enter.

Type: cd c:\.
Press Enter. (The directory will then change to C:\>)

Type: cd windows.
Press Enter. (Directory will now change to c:\windows>)

Type: cd system32.
Press Enter. (Directory will change to C:\windows\system32>)

Type: cd restore.
Press Enter. (Directory changes to c:\windows\system32\restore)

Type: rstrui.exe.
Press Enter. (Note: do not type in cd this time.)

The "System Restore" screen will now come up. It will say "Welcome to System Restore".

Restore my computer to an earlier time will be selected, click Next.

Click on a bold date which was **BEFORE** the day your pc was having problems and click Next.

The confirmation screen will appear, click Next.

The computer will begin the restore process, and will restart.

When the computer boots up, you will see a message which says "Restoration Complete", click OK.

:bow:

#4 iwitness91

iwitness91

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

Safe mode doesn't seem to work. It brings me back to the welcoming screem/account. Selecting administrator reacts the same way as my other account. It just logs off immediately. Any other suggestions?

#5 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

http://www.webtree.c... Configuration:

:cool:

#6 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

I believe you are in for a repair install.

#7 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

I just bumped my old thread...see if it helps... XP Won't Log On

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics