•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meteorite impact on moon at 4 Sept 2019 19:54 GMT?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:49 AM

I was setting up the scope last night  on the moon and thought I saw a momentary point of light in the central dark portion of the moon. It was very bright and lasted around 2 seconds. I didn't get a proper look at it because it happened when was first setting up. I was just getting the moon centered in the field of view and was in the middle of panning and focussing, and just caught a glimpse of it.

Did anyone happen to have a lunar video running at around 19:54 GMT (20:54 British Summer Time), 4 September 2019 to catch it?

It could've been an Iridium satellite flair but I don't think it was moving. 

• BeltofOrion likes this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

I think there are monitoring projects for lunar impacts. Might be worth a look to see if any of those were monitoring at the time. 

#3 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

Impact flashes on the moon are usually very short ... less than 1/2 second and most are around 1/30th of a second. A flash lasting 2 seconds would be a major event. However, catching an extended flash from an earth orbiting object is not all that unusual.

What you most likely observed ... imho ... was a flash from a satellite/rocket body/debris in orbit that was transiting the dark half of the moon at the time. Since the exact time is an unknown, here's a couple of possibilities for your location and time:

1.) Dark side moon transit at 19:49:50 GMT .... DMSP 5D-3 F18 DEB  #35954 ... debris from a U.S. military weather satellite.

2.) Dark side moon transit at 19:59:20 GMT ... Fengyun 1C DEB #36269 ... debris from a Chinese weather satellite used to test killer satellite technology.

Nice catch .....

• physik and happylimpet like this

#4 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the data. Very interesting. 

• Peter_D likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics