•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stock 2, ASCC 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

I discovered small open cluster ASCC8 by chance a year ago when I was scanning the vicinity of h and chi Per in order to find open cluster Stock 2. I was lazy to for it in a sky atlas. That night I misidentified the position of Stock2, I thought that it was actually another clumps of stars (which turned out just to be a cluster of stars, no real open cluster was plotted in Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas). I made a quick sketch to identify later on, what I saw (see last page in this report: https://www.fzu.cz/~...80806_FOA60.pdf)

I returned to the area two nights ago with 60mm refractor. It was very beautiful and rich star field. In particular I liked the subtle colors shown by several stars. I decided to try to capture this beauty. I started with low power eyepiece (13x) with about 3 degrees field of view. For the clusters I used 33x as well in order to record fainter stars. I was not able to scan and sketch whole 3 degrees at this power in two nights (about 2,5 hours of sketching time). Larger power was also revealing star colors better. The second night was better and I noticed colors in few more stars that I missed previous night. In total, I recorded more than 300 stars. I then redraw them in computer, and I added star colors and some lighter background that I noticed in the clusters at low powers:

stock2_20190903.jpg

Edited by Sasa, 05 September 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• KidOrion, *skyguy*, Jef De Wit and 7 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

Alexander,

Very nice sketch of Stock 2, ASCC 8 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Tom.

BTW, as I make this sketch at two powers and because I collected large statistics I can estimate how the reach of 60mm refractor changes with the power. I can roughly say, that I was regularly capturing at 13x stars down to magnitudes 9.7-9.8, sometimes going slightly below 10.0. Switching to 33x, I was recording stars below 11.0, typically down to 11.2-11.3, sometimes going below 11.5. Another magnitude can be gained by switching to very high powers. In the sketch of M52 I was going down to 12.2-12.4 at 177x (if I remeber well). And I know, that if I really concentrate strongly at very high magnifications, I'm able to glimpse for short moments 13.0 mag star at the east edge of M57.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

Alex

The piece is superb and these are new to me .  I like the outreaching limbs .

Really your drawing has really become quite finessed . Really a pleasure to see these.  Your skills deserve it.

I think, you may have your own thoughts my best magnification for seeing faint stars is between 45-75x per inch of aperture. Blackening that sky background but retaining the stellar brightness since it's a point source does wonders.  I recall hitting a nice faint magnitude number on a star  with a NELM of 6.  So naturally, I'm thinking - if I go a truly dark sky site I'll get this.amazing faint magnitude number.  But it's not to be. A NELM 7 over a NELM 6 doesn't get you a fullagniyufe deeper at your faint star threshold.  Instead it's only incremental.  The blackening if the sky background at high-power is SO EFFECTIVE a tool a full magnitude darker sky only nets you a fraction better.  It's still good - it's still real but it's a good testament to the technique of high-power faint star viewing.

Pete

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:06 PM

Alexander,

Now this looks really nice from a dark sky.

Frank :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics