•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to remove Nextstar 5 OTA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyTrom

JimmyTrom

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crestwood, KY

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:55 PM

I recently purchased a NextStar 5SE mount to replace the original mount for my Nextstar 5.

Any ideas on how to remove the OTA??

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

I did it about 15 years ago. Take off the covers of the altitude axis and start removing screws and bolts until the OTA can slide off. Then remove any screws holding the assembly on the OTA. I have tried without success to find a dovetail (Vixen V style) that will fit a C5. I know Celestron makes them because they put them on their C5SE and SLT 5 OTAs. Instead you can buy a dovetail and rings from Orion and do it that way.

It may look like this. In this case I drilled and tapped the assembly left on the OTA and installed a Baader dovetail.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

Here's an older C5 OTA that I installed rings and a dovetail on. I prefer this method.

IMG_0213.JPG

• eros312 likes this

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Here:

steps.jpg

Remove the large nut (1-1/8 or 1-1/4") and the scope and its mounting plate can be removed.

• Eddgie likes this

#4 JimmyTrom

JimmyTrom

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crestwood, KY

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

THANK YOU ALL!!

Really a bonus to have such a large database to consult with before surgery.

Thanks again,

Jim

#5 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

And if none of the above work, get a bigger  hammer.

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

When I wanted to demount my NS5 (1st version) I was lucky that it was during the era of Ray's Brackets. I bought it with 2 scope brackets, one to remount the C5 so I could take it on and off and the custom bracket which I used to mount various scopes like a C5-750 F6 telephoto and a few 80mm refractors. Still have everything except the original C-5 F10. Nice thing about the Ray's brackets was it allowed sliding the OTA back and forth to aid in balance and getting clearance from the base.These days I am considering mounting a Vixen plate-holder as there are plenty of versions now.

• Don W likes this

#7 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

Same here. Ray was one of the moderators on our Yahoo Nexstar Group that was started soon after they came out. It was a neat fix at the time but the Vixen solution is better.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics