•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What a night

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wallyl

Wallyl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

I got out my old trusty Nexstar 11 GPS scope last night; it  was a real treat.....Jupiter was near the meridian and the half moon was in proximity;  20° to the east was majestic Saturn.  It was a cool night and quite comfortable to be out behind the eyepiece of my Nexstar 11 GPS.  I first viewed Jupiter with a 32mm TV Plossl---while the seeing wasn't perfect, there were short moments of steady seeing that allows the planet to snap into a highly detailed image.  I the used  shorter focal length TV Plossls;  the 17mm seemed to be the best @ 165X.  There was a moon near the limb of the planet that was very slowly moving away.  The two prominent EQ bands were of a brownish-red color.  In my smaller apertures scopes I never have seen the color so well defined.  I then moved to the half moon---concentrating on its' terminator.  The detail due to the contrast was phenomenal.  At brief moments of really good seeing complex patterns of detail snapped into sharp focus....outstanding!  I then  slewed 20° over to the east----Saturn!  As luck would have it all three objects were close to the same elevation in the sky which makes for very comfortable viewing.   At 165X the planet looked like a 3D image;  absolutely breathtaking.  Its' colors were delicate but visible.  Again the larger light grasp of the SCT really brightens it making, to my eyes, look larger.  .After seeing it in the 11" it is hard to be satisfied viewing it in a much smaller aperture refractor. 

I hope many of you didn't miss viewing last night (if you had clear skies)...I'd love to do it again tonight---but it'll be cloudy! 

• REC, rjaszcz and ww321q like this

#2 ww321q

ww321q

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Winton Ca.

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

That's cool. I was in the shop painting and looked through the telescope between coats. I got a pretty good view of Jupiter and the moon. I didn't do Saturn because it was still light out . I'm still waiting for that clarity where I see details in the bands.  

#3 Wallyl

Wallyl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

I don't think that you'll ever see that clarity for more than a few seconds.  You have to plant yourself in a convenient chair and just view..awaiting those precious seconds of good seeing.  On some nights they will never happen.  On the planets in the Fall the best seeing is right after sunset, on most nights. Be patient and you will be rewarded! 

• rjaszcz likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics