•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

thread problem with WO nosepiece/barlow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

I just bought a Williams Optics binoviewer "kit" that contains a barlow but the threads on the barlow don't match the threads on the nose-piece so I cannot screw them together.  It is like one thread is "English" and the other "metric" or something.  Is this a possibility?  Or am I mis-understanding something?

wo.JPG

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

Strange.  Did you buy this new?

I'm guessing that it may be used with a 1.25" Diagonal but that's not how WO shows it being used.

Hmm.

#3 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:32 PM

Williams Optics did not have any in stock so I ordered from Optcorp (who had some in stock).  The one I received looked new but it is possible that it was previously returned by someone else and that person "swapped out a part".    

#4 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

The OCA should have standard filter threading. It should screw into an eyepiece.

#5 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:45 PM

I’ve determined that the OCA’s threads are standard. It can screw into all my eyepieces including the ones that came with the binoviewer. The problem is with the nosepiece of the binoviewer. The threads on it are not standard. I basically need a new nosepiece. I’ll see if opcorp can send me a replacement nosepiece. It unscrews from the rest of the binoviewer so it can easily be replaced.

#6 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:58 PM

So, not available from W.O. but OPT has them? Did William dump a bunch of bad product so that OPT could deal with all the headaches? Too soon to tell....

I spoke to a OPT customer rep today about this problem who was unaware of any issues and would let their "buyer" know.

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

It unscrews from the rest of the binoviewer so it can easily be replaced.

Are you sure that the Barlow does not screw on in place of the nosepiece?   I thought this was the way William Optics did it, but they seem to have changed the design in recent years and now the nosepiece is glued into place.  This was apparently done to prevent thread wear.

I seem to recall that with some models of BV, the Barlow replaces the nose piece.

#8 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

I already returned it so I can't check (if the barlow is to be used in place of the nosepiece) but I seem to remember that the nosepiece screw connector to the binoviewer was smaller in diameter than the other end of the nosepiece where I thought the barlow was to screw in.   OptCorp readily provided me a UPS return barcode and hinted that it might be a known problem.  I miss the binoviewer and am looking forward to getting one back.  I was using it without the barlow but I wanted the option to use a barlow to either help reach focus in some situations or provide more magnification when desired.

#9 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Yes, standard problem I already experienced with these small barlows/gpcs etc.
Different thread sizes!

#10 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:08 PM

The threads on the Barlow are standard 1.25 filter threads.

The threads on the nosepiece are different: M26x0.75.

WO now glues the nosepiece threads so you can’t remove it.  Apparently, this was to prevent damaging the threads in the binoviewer cast metal by repeated removal and replacing of the nosepiece.  The threads don’t seem very durable.  This is why I got the Raf camera T2 adapter and leave it there permanently.

#11 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

I got a replacement WO Binoview from OptCorp and this one has the nose-piece glued in and the provided barlow is now able to screw into the nose-piece.  I'm good-to-go now.  Observing with two-eyes again!

#12 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

Glad to hear it's all been sorted out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics