•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Securing a Nexdome

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Amarillo, TX

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

Greetings all, my Nexdome is enroute to me and I can’t seem to find how it’s secured to a platform. In my case a cement slab. Also, I take it the rotating dome is also secured so it won’t blow off when we have 80 mph winds here in the Texas Panhandle?Thanks.
  • Celestialoptics likes this

#2 TMO

TMO

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Taylor Mountain Observatory

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Joel,

I used 8 L-brackets placed on the outside-bottom of my NexDome.  The NexDome comes with holes (I think) located roughly 1 inch from the bottom.  We then drilled holes into the concrete blocks on which my dome rests, to screw in the L-bracket.  (By the way, the three layers of blocks prop up the dome by 1 1/2 feet, making it easier to walk in and out of the dome.)   The rotating hemispherical dome seems to stay on, even in 30 mph wind, despite not being absolutely secure.  Photos here:

http://taylor-mounta...y-construction/

Geoff

Taylor Mountain Observatory

#3 leeasle

leeasle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas, U.S.

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

The wall posts are secured with L brackets, mine's on a wood deck so they are just screwed into the deck. You will probably have to use some type of concrete anchors once you pick your final placement.

Originally the dome shutters were only held in place by the external wheels, there were some reports of the shutters coming off. Mine came off in a 50 mph gust from a storm. I think the newer ones have retaining guides now for the top piece. I've retrofitted them to mine. I've haven't have any storms that bad lately, so can't tell how effective they are, I'm sure they help though. I play it safe though, if I expect severe storms, I put a strap over the dome and shutters. 

Lynn

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

I have an Exploradome, not a Nexdome, but the principles are the same.  Fortunately, a dome is aerodynamically stable, so it doesn't want to lift off.  My dome came with a retaining ring to keep it from lifting off the fixed structure. 

To that, I added a pair of turnbuckles that hold it down in stormy weather.  I just installed them last night in preparation for Hurricane Dorian.  I have a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon on each turnbuckle so I don't forget to remove them post-storm, and an electrical connector that disables dome rotation when they are installed, just in case I try to fire up the dome remotely without removing them.

• dmdouglass and Raginar like this

#5 markm75c

markm75c

Viking 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

The wall posts are secured with L brackets, mine's on a wood deck so they are just screwed into the deck. You will probably have to use some type of concrete anchors once you pick your final placement.

Originally the dome shutters were only held in place by the external wheels, there were some reports of the shutters coming off. Mine came off in a 50 mph gust from a storm. I think the newer ones have retaining guides now for the top piece. I've retrofitted them to mine. I've haven't have any storms that bad lately, so can't tell how effective they are, I'm sure they help though. I play it safe though, if I expect severe storms, I put a strap over the dome and shutters. 

Lynn

What did you use to secure them to the wood deck?  Just standard 5/4 decking ceramic screws?

(side question what did you use to secure anything to the walls inside the dome, ie: metal sheet screws or similar, for things like receptacles and sub panels)?

#6 Celestialoptics

Celestialoptics

Explorer 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

Anyone create a seal between the plastic observatory and cement? I'm assuming silicone would work, but I would love to know what guys used if anyone has done this. 

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:26 PM

I used silicone from a tube on my pier tech. I’m assuming the principle is the same. Just get a good bead and don’t be stingy. If you move it ‘goo gone’ breaks it down super quick.

#8 Celestialoptics

Celestialoptics

Explorer 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:42 PM

I used silicone from a tube on my pier tech. I’m assuming the principle is the same. Just get a good bead and don’t be stingy. If you move it ‘goo gone’ breaks it down super quick.

Thank you just purchased a bunch of silicone. Was about to seal it today, but thinking of a way to seal some large gaps between the observatory and concrete. Maybe some backing foam? 

• Raginar likes this

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:53 AM

I just used silicone. You’d be surprised at how* big of a gap it can fill and you can build it up if needed.

Edit: Autocorrect kills me.

Edited by Raginar, 14 October 2020 - 11:37 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics