•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thursday, Sept 5th Planetary backyard session with an 8" Mak

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

I have been itching to put this new-to-me 8" Mak Cass to work on our solar system. 

It is carbon fibre, and has passive cooling vents in the OTA and on the rear cell and have also been doing experiments with cooldown.

I tried without reflectix a few nights ago, it cooled down in approx 1 hr.  Noticeable flaring on stars until then.

I tried with one layer of reflectix last night, and it suppressed the thermals so it was usable sooner but slight atmospheric waviness lasted for longer. Not sure if that was just the seeing or thermals, could have been just the seeing as I didnt see any flaring off stars, but I wasnt exactly hunting for stars at first.

20190905_210453.jpg

I set up in my backyard, viewing red/white zone according to light pollution, from the times of 20:30 to 22:30. I am at 53 deg north so everything was fairly low, just cresting my neighbors fence but obstructed by trees and his garage at many points of the night.  I basically have only a small window to the direct south.

First up, I got brief views of the moon at first quarter phase, but it was still very much light out at this time.  It was a bit early but I was trying to catch that excellent dusk seeing.

With my lowest power eyepiece the 32mm Brandon @ 125x mag, the moon was good but not as good as when it is pitch black and higher up. On the moon, I was studying the crater rim and raised highlands around of Aristoteles and Eudoxus, until it made its way past a tree, obstructing my view from it for the night as it began its descent in the sky.

Jupiter had tantalizing hints of EQ zone detail, more than I have ever seen, but this was fleeting and never returned for further scrutiny after revealing itself once or twice.  Observed on the Jovian system was 3 bands (the North Equatorial and South Equatorial Belts and South Temperate Belt) with a hint of the North Temperate Belt flickered in and out of the seeing.  Eventually the planet was completely engulfed in a thin layer of cloud.  It was the lowest of the 3 targets observed last night.

Saturn was the treat.  I was able to get a fairly stable view of our ringed planet with the 24mm brandon.  My collimation was a bit off for the 16mm brandon, but back at 166x with the 24mm I could see subtle variations in banding in the northern hemisphere, which was darker than the southern hemisphere.  Also, A ring and Cassini division stood out nicely.  I love this image scale looking at Saturn.

So far last couple nights out haven't been the greatest conditions-wise, but I can already see this having a lot of potential when I get good seeing.  Saturn was very good last night.

I have now double wrapped it with reflectix , and will continue my experiments with usability and cooldown.

Thanks for reading and clear skies! 

Edited by Tyson M, 06 September 2019 - 04:09 PM.

• EverlastingSky, REC, rjaszcz and 2 others like this

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

Great post! I think my aperture fever just went up a notch. :-)

• Tyson M likes this

#3 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

You have good taste with those Brandon's! I have the 32mm and 16mm and for some reason they work great on the moon. Contrast and sharpness are ideal.

• Tyson M likes this

#4 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

Nice report on a session with an 8" Mak Cass. Make and model curiously absent. A few minutes digging around in the user "Content" recent posts did not reveal any clues on this instrument either thinking1.gif  The story isn't complete without the info behind this latest acquisition and how it fits into the current line up tongue2.gif 

• Tyson M likes this

#5 chakel

chakel

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

And pictures!

• Tyson M likes this

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Okay, if you want more info.

I called it the Dark Aster...but now that it is wrapped up in reflectix, not so dark lol.  Maybe I will rename it, to Star Destroyer or Planet Killer. 

Orion Opitcs OMC200 deluxe Maksutov Cassegrain (made pre 2013 in the good OO days, as Orion Optics has fallen in quality, introducing questionable optics to the market, with mirrors not produced in the UK but in China. Quality control is down)

4000mm focal length, f20 @ 22% obstruction

98.7% strehl, 1/8 wave w/ paper test report

carbon fibre with passive cooling vents on the ota and mirror cell

micrometer focuser, collimate like an SCT with screws on the secondary

CNC stainless steel losmandy dovetail

This rare scope has video evidence of it doing 2000x magnification in the daytime on a steel ball 300 yards away and image still razor sharp. 

It is the most expensive scope I have ever owned.  Seems to be the nicest build quality, equal to the NP127 that it replaced.   Maybe some day I will buy another NP127 as they are availalbe to purchase new.  An opportunity to buy a scope like this Orion Optics doesn't come around more than once so I jumped. 

How it fits with my current line up?  I have an FOA60 I am using for grab and go on a manfrotto 028 tripod and 410 junior head (mostly solar viewing).  Also, I listed a optically perfect Intes MN76 deluxe for sale which I felt was competing with this larger scope for usage on the targets I frequently enjoy (lunar, planetary).  I have a pair of Canon 10x42L IS WP coming to me now to rekindle my love for binocular astronomy, and hopefully something I can take to the southern hemisphere some day.

20190830_201708.jpg

2.jpg

OMC200ZYGO.jpg 6.jpg

Edited by Tyson M, 07 September 2019 - 04:31 PM.

• EverlastingSky, REC, rjaszcz and 1 other like this

#7 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

Okay, if you want more info.

I called it the Dark Aster...but now that it is wrapped up in reflectix, not so dark lol.  Maybe I will rename it, to Star Destroyer or Planet Killer. 

Orion Opitcs OMC200 deluxe Maksutov Cassegrain (made pre 2013 in the good OO days, as Orion Optics has fallen in quality, introducing questionable optics to the market, with mirrors not produced in the UK but in China. Quality control is down)

4000mm focal length, f20 @ 22% obstruction

98.7% sterhl, 1/8 wave w/ paper test report

carbon fibre with passive cooling vents on the ota and mirror cell

micrometer focuser, collimate like an SCT with screws on the secondary

CNC stainless steel losmandy dovetail

This rare scope has video evidence of it doing 2000x magnification in the daytime on a steel ball 300 yards away and image still razor sharp. 

It is the most expensive scope I have ever owned.  Seems to be the nicest build quality, equal to the NP127 that it replaced.   Maybe some day I will buy another NP127 as they are availalbe to purchase new.  An opportunity to buy a scope like this Orion Optics doesn't come around more than once so I jumped. 

attachicon.gif 20190830_201708.jpg

attachicon.gif 20190905_210453.jpg

attachicon.gif 2.jpg

attachicon.gif OMC200ZYGO.jpgattachicon.gif 6.jpg

How it fits with my current line up?  I have an FOA60 I am using for grab and go (mostly solar viewing).  Also, I listed a perfect Intes MN76 deluxe for sale which I felt was competing with this scope for usage on the targets I frequently enjoy (lunar, planetary).  I have a pair of Canon 10x42L IS WP coming to me now to rekindle my love for binocular astronomy.

Beutiful scope! I have a 5" Mak along with a refractor, Dob and SCT....got one of each kind made.

• Tyson M likes this

#8 chakel

chakel

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

Enjoy your views with that special Mak.

• Tyson M likes this

#9 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:08 PM

Enjoy your views with that special Mak.

Thanks, I will be sharing my solar system reports here!

#10 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:28 PM

Sold the NP127 already. You always manage to surprise in a good way! Glad you came to your senses grin.gif The NP127 was Uncle Al's "final answer" to his quest for the ultimate "Space Walk" experience. Dark skies are mandatory for that instrument.

The MN76, I see your classifieds ad, good price for such a Thermal Gremlin magnet, oops, sorry! Prospective buyers just fled lol.gif Get the fan hooked up to a variable speed control and it will be great fun to fiddle and fret with all night... (been there done that!)

Orion Mak is interesting and curious minds want to know how the carbon fibre tube will perform from a thermal perspective. The battle against Thermal Gremlins is a bitter one, often leading us perfectionists back to the refractor, where a single light path falling to its focal point seems to mysteriously avoid the Gremlins wrath. 

#11 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

Sold the NP127 already. You always manage to surprise in a good way! Glad you came to your senses grin.gif The NP127 was Uncle Al's "final answer" to his quest for the ultimate "Space Walk" experience. Dark skies are mandatory for that instrument.

The MN76, I see your classifieds ad, good price for such a Thermal Gremlin magnet, oops, sorry! Prospective buyers just fled lol.gif Get the fan hooked up to a variable speed control and it will be great fun to fiddle and fret with all night... (been there done that!)

Orion Mak is interesting and curious minds want to know how the carbon fibre tube will perform from a thermal perspective. The battle against Thermal Gremlins is a bitter one, often leading us perfectionists back to the refractor, where a single light path falling to its focal point seems to mysteriously avoid the Gremlins wrath. 

Mak Newt and Mak Cass's are my favorite instruments, along with refractors. 

Thermally, we'll see. Hopefully the reflectix tames them.  Otherwise, it looks like a solid hour of waiting for me before I get good planetary views. Haha

Edit: the OMC200 is better for me in light pollution viewing regardless

Edited by Tyson M, 07 September 2019 - 09:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics