•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS CN16 and Evolution

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

Hooked up my old CN16 GPS unit to my Evolution mount. It registered the correct time and location, but the year showed 1/21/00! I went ahead and tried a Solar System alignment, but my target, the Moon, was not shown on the hand controller as being visible. Time to upgrade the GPS unit?

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

Yes

afraid it’s time for a upgrade.

i know there was a lot of chatter on the GPS glitch and a software update.

boy, just when you think the weather is getting mild, it’s almost 90 outside at 8:30 at night!

almost too hot to enjoy viewing.

#3 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

Thanks. Well, this is the optimum time for my being particularly receptive to spending money on astro gear--- Friday night, after a typically stressful week, and the decompression booze has taken effect..

#4 ishorx

ishorx

Vostok 1

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:01 AM

it still will work if you can do a hcupdate  or cfm i just did mine with hcupdate don't know how to use cfm and java on my computer,it puts in the correct year now!

• khingdheano likes this

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

Hooked up my old CN16 GPS unit to my Evolution mount. It registered the correct time and location, but the year showed 1/21/00! I went ahead and tried a Solar System alignment, but my target, the Moon, was not shown on the hand controller as being visible. Time to upgrade the GPS unit?

Hi,

You just need to update firmware on the hand control.  At the top of this forum, read the topic "Celestron GPS-Enabled Scope Displays a Date Several Years in the Past after GPS Link".

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• khingdheano likes this

#6 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:26 AM

Woops..... now why didn't I see that pinned topic? I'm blaming it on age. Thanks Michael!

Hi,

You just need to update firmware on the hand control.  At the top of this forum, read the topic "Celestron GPS-Enabled Scope Displays a Date Several Years in the Past after GPS Link".

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• Michael_Swanson likes this

#7 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

OK,  update performed on NexStar + HC, but CN16 still shows date of 1/21/00. I acquired a new Skysync unit and it works fine BUT I have to plug the HC into the HC port on the GPS unit itself for the unit to be recognized. I thought I could plug Skysync into any AUX port, and the HC into another AUX port, which is how my old CN16 worked. It's not a big deal to run it that way, I just want to know if that's right.

Just more complications....

Edited: Just plugged the Skysync unit into the AUX port on my 6SE, I get "No GPS Detected" when I try to enable GPS. I'm guessing I have a defective unit.

Edited by khingdheano, 09 September 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#8 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

What version numbers are showing in the menu on the NexStar+ HC - the latest firmware should definitely fix the date coming out of the CN-16.

Regarding plugging things into various ports on Celestron's mounts - we've seen a lot of cases lately where only specific combinations work.  On some mounts (the Evolution for certain and some have reported the SE mount), Celestron has acknowledged subtle electronic differences which they may have a remedy for.  But, for most of us, rather than taking that route, we just find a combination that works for our scope and roll with it.  It is possible the SkySync is bad but it might be something with your mounts.  On the SE mount you could try the SkySync plugged into the HC port in the arm and the HC plugged into the AUX port to test.  And then the HC plugged into the extra port on the SkySync itself.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• khingdheano likes this

#9 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:28 AM

Thanks, Michael. I'll check the version numbers on the NexStar+ HC tonight if possible. I'm going to exchange the Skysync module for another one, if that one behaves the same then I'll assume it is the mounts and roll with it, as you say.

Sure appreciate all your help here!

Randal Dean

#10 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:13 AM

Received the replacement Skysync, it works as it should. Can plug it into any aux port and it's recognized, on both SE and Evo mount. Also re-ran the HC update, that fixed the problem with CN-16. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics