•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Illford SFX 200 for solar prominences?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 polaroidia

polaroidia

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

Forgive me if this has been discussed in previous posts, but I was wondering if anyone has tried red sensitive Illford sfx 200 with a H-Alpha telescope to shoot solar prominences.

I know sfx has been discussed with regard to night sky photography, not sure about solar though.

• BabyPepper likes this

#2 BabyPepper

BabyPepper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:43 PM

film or digital,  anything will record solar prominences just fine.  

It is just your telescope that needs to be able to see them and this is done with the narrowband h-alpha prominence filter.     Monochrome film plates have been used for probably 130 years to photograph the sun very successfully and very detailed..

Monochrome capture is 100% the best way to capture solar images, no arguments with that.  Doesnt matter if its film, all that matters is you got the proper focus.

It does not stop at hydrogen alpha with the sun either,   the calcium K-line is much more exciting when solar activity is high.  It is invisible to human eyesight.

48686799041_d3dfc4093b_o.gif

Edited by BabyPepper, 06 September 2019 - 09:45 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics