•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The world without Televue

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#226 Mark SW

Mark SW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

A world without Tele Vue is a world not worth living!  

smile.gif

Edit: ironically I happen to own all Brandon eyepieces now and only one 11 Delite, and two powermates.  Usually I am stocked up with TV EP's....

Oh well my life is over. All I own are ES and BCO.

So if you do not own Tel Vue you must not be a serious observer.

• CeleNoptic likes this

#227 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Classically speaking the reason why light is refracted in the lens of the eyepiece or telescope objective is because the photons are repeatedly absorbed and reemitted by the rows of atoms in the glass, and this introduces some delay that effectively slows down the propagation of light. You could then argue that the photon that reaches your eye is therefore actually originating from this vibration of the atoms at the surface of the lens or mirror, it's no longer "the original photon" from the distant galaxy. In this view, even if you looked at the object in space with the naked eye, you are still merely looking at photons originating in the vibrating gelatin material in your eye before it hits the retina.

I don’t think that’s true.  I believe the original photons travel all the way through the glass.  Do you have a reference for your assertion.  I’ve never heard or read this before.

#228 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

I was very pleased to look through Al Nagler's NV eyepiece in his 101mm rerfractor at the NA Nebula 

at Stellafane his year. It was my first and only experience with NV. It was a wonderful experience but

not something I would seriously consider buying, at least at this time. However, in the past I've said the

same thing about Ethos eyepieces and Paracorr ll which I now own. You never know where the path will

take you. 

#229 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Sandy won't see my post, but this would answer his query in post #227:

https://www.quora.co...s-through-glass

Perhaps someone can repost the link.

#230 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

An intensifier seems intriguing, especially for viewing wildlife on my property at night.  But what benefit does it provide for observing DSOs at the telescope compared to just using my CCD camera and viewing the image on a laptop? Using an astro camera is not quite “real time” but most DSOs do not give the appearance of going anywhere too quickly.  Neither seem to provide the calm serenity of using an eyepiece.

The innovation I would like to see is more along this line of thinking - what we need is a CCD eyepiece, not monochrome NV devices.

Look how small "smartphone" computers have become, with batteries, cameras, and monitors built-in.  Look at virtual-reality goggles in gaming. Let's take advantage of miniaturization of technology.

How about an ocular the size and weight of a 31mm Nagler that has a CCD chip and LCD monitor built-in.   You put the eyepiece into the focuser, look into it, and see a real-time, color image of the target.  You plug it into your USB charger to charge the battery up before each session.  

When I do outreach events I already have people holding their Iphones up to my eyepiece and taking pictures of Jupiter.   The next step seems obvious!

Edited by Scott99, 20 September 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• eros312 and 25585 like this

#231 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

Sandy won't see my post, but this would answer his query in post #227:

https://www.quora.co...s-through-glass

Perhaps someone can repost the link.

• 25585 likes this

#232 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

The innovation I would like to see is more along this line of thinking - what we need is a CCD eyepiece, not monochrome NV devices.

Look how small "smartphone" computers have become, with batteries, cameras, and monitors built-in.  Look at virtual-reality goggles in gaming. Let's take advantage of miniaturization of technology.

How about an ocular the size and weight of a 31mm Nagler that has a CCD chip and LCD monitor built-in.   You put the eyepiece into the focuser, look into it, and see a real-time, color image of the target.  You plug it into your USB charger to charge the battery up before each session.  

When I do outreach events I already have people holding their Iphones up to my eyepiece and taking pictures of Jupiter.   The next step seems obvious!

If today's smart phones had camera sensors made for low light instead daylight snap shots at the beach, and faster integration times, we would be there now. Currently they are just way too noisy and slow.

Apple's new iPhone 11 has some improvements in low-light shooting (http://austinmann.co...ro-review-china), it will be interesting to see how that translates to astronomy.

But there could be even more improvements. An astronomy specific product that just looks like a phone. Imagine this:

1) Correct camera sensor for the application;

2) All cell phone innards removed. Only the processor, camera, OLED (or microLED) display, battery, memory, and a standard port (or possibly wifi transmitter);

3) Camera sensor centered in the body instead of a corner (if you have used a smart phone eyepiece adapter, you know exactly what I mean); and

4) Integral 1.25" nosepiece on the device. Threaded for aux optics and filters.

Plugs in just like an eyepiece, no external computer or power required. Light like a smart phone, not heavy like a 31 Nagler.

It would be used prime focus, but with accessory optics groups for focal reduction or barlows (perhaps made by Tele Vue).

You would use it just like an eyepiece, except with both eyes open. It would have an image and video capture capability limited only by onboard memory.

• Scott99 and 25585 like this

#233 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

Alas, I've had a chance to use the Meade Series 4000 UWAs recently.  Meade did not eliminate the spherical aberration of the exit pupil

that causes the kidney bean blackouts in those.  They were a tad better than the original Naglers, but nowhere near the quality of eyepieces we have today,

though the 4.7mm and 6.7mm had such small exit pupils the SAEP wasn't particularly objectionable.

Excellent assessment as always Don waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  I of course agree having had and used both.  A few years ago got a whole set of those unopened in the box at an estate sale.  Nice eyepieces overall...but showing their age in the current context. 

#234 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

LOL.  Amen about the edge camera.

My Samsung has an edge mounted dual camera (16Mp, 12Mp), fits all cell phone holders,

Had a high-res OLED screen, can take exposures up to 10 seconds with ISO to 3200.

Built in zoom, can take burst shots and slow mo and videos at any resolution you choose.

Blue tooth or WiFi connection.  256Gb internal memory + up to 1Tb on MicroSD card. Perfect to store photos and videos.

Live focus. 

But, it would be cool to not have to shoot through an eyepiece, so pix could be prime focus.

So close, yet so far away......

#235 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

A world without Tele Vue would result in a much less active "Eyepieces" section of the forum, thats for sure smile.gif

Personally, I've used most of their eyepiece designs since the 1980's and continue to do so with a good selection of what I find to be their best designs. Not exclusively though - I do have 4 Pentax XW's as well.

I can't think of any other companies that deliver such a comprehensive range of eyepiece options / ranges.

• John O'Hara and j.gardavsky like this

#236 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

Except that the power of NV is that it actually amplifies the light signal.  One photon hits the sensor and the NV tube turns that one photon into many photons by the time it gets to the viewing screen that you look at.  Hence the signal is amplified in real time.  A CMOS chip can build up a signal as well, but only by capturing actual photons over time, basically a time lapse photo image.  But it can’t do it real time.  That’s the real power of NV.

• bobhen and 25585 like this

#237 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

A world without Tele Vue would result in a much less active "Eyepieces" section of the forum, thats for sure smile.gif

Personally, I've used most of their eyepiece designs since the 1980's and continue to do so with a good selection of what I find to be their best designs. Not exclusively though - I do have 4 Pentax XW's as well.

I can't think of any other companies that deliver such a comprehensive range of eyepiece options / ranges.

And of such consistently good optical quality. They have had relatively few misses in their product lines (and even those have enough fans to guarantee quick resale).

Also no surprises like half of an eyepiece family having field curvature. I love the shorter XW's, but don't really want to take any more chances on the longer ones.

• Jon Isaacs, John Huntley, John O'Hara and 2 others like this

#238 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

Of all TVs discontinued ones, I think the 22 Pan was the best.  

• Jeff Morgan likes this

#239 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

If I wore tattoos, one would read TeleVue.

• Deep13, John O'Hara and SkyRanger like this

#240 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

Now that's a tattoo I would consider...

#241 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

Actually I love ES eyepieces too, the 92 deg ones. 

I never said anything about serious observing, and I am not even sure what that actually means for our hobby.

Regardless, I love Tele Vue products. Eyepieces and telescopes.  Sadly, I do not own much of either atm....so I guess by your standards I am not a serious observer lol. 

• 25585 likes this

#242 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:22 AM

Disco would have died a quicker death without TeleVue....unfortunately Al's projectors kept it going.  Disco was the inspiration for eyepiece undercuts.

• Scott99 and clivemilne like this

#243 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:11 AM

I git what y'all are sayin, but if y'all think Um gunna give up my 14 Delos er ma 27 Panoptic, well it ain't gunna happen and y'all have another think comin'. That's allz I gotta say.

#244 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:13 AM

Disco would have died a quicker death without TeleVue....unfortunately Al's projectors kept it going. Disco was the inspiration for eyepiece undercuts.

I love the night life, I love to boogie, on the disco ahhhhh yeah....
Philistine. :)

#245 clivemilne

clivemilne

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Oz

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:14 AM

What's not to like about green ink..?

green-kool-aidman.jpg

#246 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

Hmm. A picture like one of their scope ads.

#247 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:46 AM

Still have one a quarter century later.

I bought a 24 UF thinking it could replace my 22 and 27 Pans. The 24 UF is a nice eyepiece, but it probably won't survive the cut.

#248 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:59 AM

Except that the power of NV is that it actually amplifies the light signal.  One photon hits the sensor and the NV tube turns that one photon into many photons by the time it gets to the viewing screen that you look at.  Hence the signal is amplified in real time.  A CMOS chip can build up a signal as well, but only by capturing actual photons over time, basically a time lapse photo image.  But it can’t do it real time.  That’s the real power of NV.

Not even direct competitors I think. Some overlap. but more of a different package of attributes for each.

The "CMOS Viewer" will probably not have short enough integration time to be useful to the Dob crowd. And that is about half of the amateur marketplace before counting all the others without driven mounts.

And neither can completely replace conventional eyepieces. Last night I had a double star session, never touched the image intensifier.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#249 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:00 AM

I have the 22 Panoptic, it's a great eyepiece. But the 11 mm and 2.5 mm Type 6s are also discontinued as are the 20 mm and 26 mm Type 5s and those are some fine eyepieces. 

Jon

#250 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

I have 4 TV eyepieces, which I chose for their focal lengths and eye relief/comfort wearing glasses (so only 4...), not for who makes them. They are all nice enough, but none are special enough compared to others in my collection. I have sold more TV than I still own, having found better from other makes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics