•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

bushnell legend m 10x42 question- 22mm ER?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

I checked the specs of many of the 10x42 roofies and very few have even close to what the legend m has. Is it simply the creep of marketing to make  product more saleable?  allbinos  stated that it has 22 ... The forge and engage models are at 18mm...   Regards, Pat

#2 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

The Monarch 3, 8x42 was stated in a review to have ER of just over 23mm, one problem with the longer eye relief can be the fact you have to hold it away from the eye to avoid black outs thus making the binocular harder to hold steady, with glasses on 16-17mm ER seems fine,D.

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, many of the 8's have high teens, lows 20's for ER, the 10x stuff seems to be 15-18mm. Thus far I've found one high end  euro (swaro/zeiss/leica??) and opticron offering something with a 20mm range. Just curious as bushnell on the next gen stuff- forge, engage have gone 18 or so.     Regards, Pat

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

Try before you buy to see how the ER is for you.  You can't go by the specs; many binos have a claimed ER measured from a recessed eye lens (below the inside of the retracted eyecup) to the exit pupil distance which makes them appear to have more ER than is actually effective.  Some can be optimistic by quite a few mms.  Eyecup design uses up varying amounts of ER as well, so specs vs effective can be very different.

Allbinos does not explain their ER measuring technique so I wouldn't trust their numbers on that.  They don't measure effective aperture, either, so their magnification calcs based on exit pupil may not be trusted as well.

https://www.allbinos...ategories..html

#5 mike1946

mike1946

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

Wore glasses most of my life but an "advantage"--if one can call it that--is having cataract surgery on both eyes as I grew older.  Best "far" vision of my life--no need to have glasses to drive anyone.  Before the  surgeries, ER was always a big concern--do I use my glasses or take them off--always the question of the evening when viewing.   

#6 tjshot

tjshot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

The Bushnell Legend M 10x42 has an effective ER of about 15mm,then eye positioning becomes troublesome for eyeglasses wearers.
4mm ER are lost from ocular lens to plastic eyecup rim.
The 22mm ER is marketing hype in this case.
Regards

Simone

#7 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

The Bushnell Legend M 10x42 has an effective ER of about 15mm,then eye positioning becomes troublesome for eyeglasses wearers.
4mm ER are lost from ocular lens to plastic eyecup rim.
The 22mm ER is marketing hype in this case.
Regards

Simone

On certain binoculars the eyecups can be removed.

When this is possible I add a rubber O-ring on top of the eyepieces to protect the eyeglass lenses against scratching.

Stan

• Binojunky likes this

#8 tjshot

tjshot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

On certain binoculars the eyecups can be removed.
When this is possible I add a rubber O-ring on top of the eyepieces to protect the eyeglass lenses against scratching.

Stan

Yes, I did it too for my Nikon 7x50 IF SP and regained the full AFOV with eyeglasses on.

Didn't try with the Bushnell though, given my use case for this bino I don't care about losing a bit of FOV.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics