•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unusual and/or rare vintage binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Lieberman & Gortz 25 x 52mm (1950s) and many others can be found at the following website :

http://www.pimall.co...e/smoptics.html

It's a museum of antique spy and surveillance gear. There are some interesting binoculars represented.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#2 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

I like their "rare" KGB Micro binoculars. I bought 100 of them 15 years ago for $5 each. 'Guess they've gotten a lot rarer, huh?

Cheers,

Bill

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:04 AM

:lol:

I saw those also in a discount catalog some time ago.

BTW, there is a "rare" pair of 6x WWII Naval binoculars for auction right now on a different site. PM me if you want the link.

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

I don't remember there being anything particularly unsual or rare about Liebermen and Gortz binoculars such as these , apart from the fact that it was one of relatively few examples at the time of VERY POOR quality instruments made in places where labour was dirt cheap , being made to " sound " like they were made in Germany .

The 25 x 55 Telstar versions I once saw looked very much like very cheap versions of Takashi 22 x 60s -- i.e they looked like standard 10 x 50s with long trumpets stuck on to the objectives , as if some kind of joke :-)

Kenny

#5 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

The funniest part of this site is the way it keeps referring to Pinkerton's spying on the South during the Civil War, as if this was a very cool thing. It is true that Pinkerton was in charge of Union Intelligence, but the information he delivered was catastrophically flawed. For example, he kept telling McClellen that Lee had four times the number of troops than he ever really had. This kept McClellen in a constant state of panic and caused him to lose the Battle of the Seven Days (which he should have won, and the war with it), and prevented him from winning the decisive victory at Antietam that he had in his grasp.

I suppose that these binoculars were badly out of collimation, somehow causing Pinkerton to see four of everything. Robert E. Lee had to be very glad that Pinkerton used these things. :p

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

I suppose that these binoculars were badly out of collimation, somehow causing Pinkerton to see four of everything. Robert E. Lee had to be very glad that Pinkerton used these things.

:lol:

First magnitude targets like Lee also exhibited moderate flaring.

MikeG

#7 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

Precessing of the earth's polar axis means only one thing: The south will rise again! Look away, Dixieland...

Jess Tauber

#8 brentwood

brentwood

Soyuz

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

I can remember in the 50s & 60s, the UK newspapers always had ads for more & more 'powerfull' binoculars. They always had slogans like 'see 20 miles', 'see across the channel'. 20x50, 25x55, 30x60, 35x60. The highest I remember were 40x70, but I did hear that there were some 45x70!
A friend had the 40x70, I remember the collimation error was measured in compass directions, if one side was due north, the other was at NNW!
I suppose that was a binocular 'ungolden age'.

#9 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

I have learned an enormous amount about optics and astronomy in my time on Cloudy Nights, but one of the most important things I've learned is the relative value of magnification. Magnification, with the right instrument, definitely has its place, and someday I hope to look through someone's 30 inch Dob, on a night of perfect seeing, at greater than 1000X. But I have learned that low magnification can be a great joy. For several nights now I've left my SCT in the garage and hauled out the 25X big binos. This is something that "laymen" do not know about binoculars, and their ignorance about magnification continues to lead to such items as the 30-120X70 binoculars we still find for sale.

#10 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:06 PM

There are a pair of "binocular glasses" up for auction on another site. They are 2.8x28mm and they are in the form of a pair of eyeglasses - an ocular is held over each eye by a frame. They are fully coated and made in Japan. I would provide a link, but I think that is frowned upon. PM me for the link. I'd especially like to hear what some of experienced bino collectors/experts think of these.

They are quite interesting looking. I have never seen anything like them. They appear old but in decent shape.

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics