•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

This is on my ASI1600MM-Cool (not Pro).  It is not on the outermost protective glass, but seemingly inside right on/above the sensor (hard to tell if there is another piece of glass right on top of the actual sensor).  It's been there for a few weeks now and it does not seem to be dissipating.  Is this condensation that won't go away? 

IMG 7451

The effect on a raw uncalibrated sub can be seen here:

M31 R 300.00s 1x1 75.00 1

I can calibrate it out partly with my flats, but it's still prominent in the integrated image.  So, I think I'm going to have to clean it.  Is that wise?  Anyone have a link to an article, video, suggestions, or just pointers of how to go about getting rid of this?

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

I just found the ZWO sensor cleaning instructions, so going to try that.  Thanks...

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

Can you post the link?

#4 Moreflying

Moreflying

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: So. Cal

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

Is it on the bottom of the chamber glass? If so, that should be a pretty easy clean.

#5 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

Can you post the link?

https://astronomy-im...e_desiccant.pdf

• Jim Waters likes this

#6 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

Actually, the instructions say to use ethanol.  Has anyone used isopropyl alcohol to clean the glass instead?

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

Actually, the instructions say to use ethanol. 

Like Single Malt Scotch?

• mumbles likes this

#8 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:44 PM

Like Single Malt Scotch?

Yes Sir, I do.  Should I drink a sizeable amount before tackling this?  belushi.gif

Edited by jerahian, 07 September 2019 - 09:53 PM.

• Jim Waters likes this

#9 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Apollo

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

Actually, the instructions say to use ethanol.  Has anyone used isopropyl alcohol to clean the glass instead?

That's what I usually use to clean our stuff (sensors, filters).  Should be safe.  But look closely for remnants from evaporation.  Ether is even better, but hard to get and can have side effects if you're not careful wink.gif

And I hope you microwave the desiccant tablets when you have it open, as that likely was the cause of the spots....

#10 gunny01

gunny01

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

It might be fungus growth from moisture and coatings providing a food supply.  91% ipa?

#11 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

Alright, just as an update to wrap up this thread, I got myself some 99% isopropyl alcohol, my trusty air blower, an inexpensive watch repair magnifier glasses, and some cotton-tipped sterile wood applicators.  I followed the ZWO sensor cleaning instructions, and you know what, it was easy-peasy!

After blowing the glass to remove the bigger pieces of dust, I dipped the tip of each applicator into the isopropyl alcohol and swiped the sensor glass with from one end to the other.  I then took another clean applicator and repeated this process.  I was careful not to reuse an applicator once I swiped.  It took about 4 of swipes to remove the schmutz I show in the image above.

I then nuked the desiccant pills, slapped them back into their little slots, and screwed the top back on.

Honestly, I was totally dreading this, but it turned out to be OK.  I think the big part was that the sterile cotton-tipped swabs were not like Q-tips, but more tightly wrapped swabs with virtually no loose strands that could get left behind (as far as I could tell).  Also, the alcohol disappeared instantly with each swipe, so it was perfect.

That said, I have NOT imaged with my sensor since I did this a couple of hours ago.  For all I know, it's now dead bigshock.gif

• Jon Rista and Dereksc like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics