•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Faint fuzzies in Pegasus and Crescent nebula

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Vedran

Vedran

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:56 AM

Last 10 days I had string of three observations, which in rare occurrence. Last in this string was a deep sky session I’ve had on Wednesday, Sept 4th. After two days of raining sky finally cleared and it was excellent, transparency was off scale. Nice change after whole summer of hazy skies. Now, there will be 3 week long pause until Moon stops disturbing night sky darkness.

I went to my local observing site, where SQM readings were about 21.1 mpas. Setting up telescope was done while Moon was still up, and I used that time just to enjoy sight of ink black skies. I haven’t been to this observing spot at least for a year, and I’ve noticed that usually reddish light dome from city of Petrinja, which is about 18 km away, has bluish tint. That change was caused by switch from HPS to LED streetlights.

I’ve used my only telescope, SkyWatcher 300/150 GoTo Dobsonian with following eyepieces tonight:
Baader Hyperion 10.5mm (143x, 28’ FOV)
Baader Hyperion 17mm (89x, 45' FOV)
SkyWatcher SkyPanorama 15mm (100x, 50’)
SkyWatcher SkyPanorama 7mm (214x, 22’)
and Baader 2“ OIII filter.

After doing entries into my observing journal from last time one thing started to bother me: I’ve skipped many galaxies NW Pegasus that were easy catch just because they weren’t plotted in atlas. With help of Cartes du Ciel, I’ve entered those galaxies by hand in atlas and decided to observe them tonight.

NGC 7315 , lenticular galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.5
143x: Very faint smudge with direct vision. With averted vision it is much easier to see it. The galaxy is quite tiny, without details. It looks almost like fuzzy star.
214x: Beefing up magnification helped a lot. The galaxy is now easy sight with direct vision. It is still tiny, faint, slightly oval and a little bit brighter in central parts. There are two very faint stars almost touching galaxy, on 4 and 7 o’clock.

NGC 7343 , spiral galaxy in Pegasus, m=13.5
214x: Very faint smudge visible only with averted vision. Nothing to see here so moving on.

NGC  7263, sp iral galaxy in Lacerta, m=13.8
214x Very faint, small, elongated cloud of light. Slightly brighter in center.

I was looking for NGC 7264 but missed it and found 7263. I will have to look up for NGC 7264 once more. Since 7265 is also close by, I’ve decided to repeat my observation from August 31st.

NGC 7265 , lenticular galaxy in Lacerta, m=12.1
214x: Faint, oval cloud with round, bright central region. Much brighter than nearby 7263.

NGC 7330 , elliptical galaxy in Lacerta, m=12.2
214x: I just couldn’t find this galaxy. Field of view was full of stars and galaxy is maybe hiding between them.

UGC 1224 2, ellipt ical galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.9
214x: I was looking for NGC 7407 and found this obscure galaxy. Very faint smudge, roundish or slightly oval, no other details were noted.

Later I found out that NGC 7404 was only one FOV away. bawling.gif

Next was SW part of Pegasus, between 22h RA, +20° DEC and 23h, +30° DEC.

NGC 7332, lenticular galaxy in Pegasus, m=11.1
214x: This is my fourth observation of this galactic pair. First was in 2007. This galaxy is brighter member of pair, it is very elongated and bright with central bulging. Using nearby star, I’ve estimated its dimension to 100” x 25”. In central bulge is very bright, starlike core with short spikes of light protruding from it along longer axis. Outer reaches of galaxy are only visible with averted vision.

NGC 7339, spiral galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.1
214x: NGC 7339 is fainter half of pair. It is wider, larger than 7332 but much fainter. Its longer axis is almost perpendicular to that of 7332. It is brighter in central parts, but there were no features like core of something similar. One peculiar thing that I’ve noticed that lower part of central brightening had sudden cut of in brightness. I’ve suspected on possible dark lane there.

NGC 7436A, elliptical galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.6

214x: Very faint cloud, visible only with averted vision. Edges of cloud are not well defined and that’s only feature that I’ve noticed.

After faint fuzzies in Pegasus I switched to my sketching target for tonight – NGC 6888.

NGC 6888, emission nebula in Cygnus, m=10.0
214x: I can see only central segment of nebulous arc, very faint in general appearance.

214x OIII: With filter things are marginally better. I suspect that exit pupil is too small so switching to lover magnification.
100x OIII: Now we are talking! I can see whole nebula and it is faint but full of subtle details. The nebula is arching around 1/3 FOV, or about 15’. It is shaped like arc, with prominent outer rim which has protrusion towards center at mid-point. Brightest parts of are just left from that protrusion. Ends of arc are wider, transforming into lobes orientated towards center of radius. Left lobe is well defined, but one on the right is fainter and more open. Also, whole space engulfed by arc is filled with very faint nebulosity. Whole shape of nebula is similar to headphones. Field of view is littered with Milky Way stars. For sketching purposes, I’ve used even lover magnification of 89x.

Too see sketch follow this link to my blog in Croatia. CN doesn't allow linking images from OneDrive.

For last part of observation, my targets were galaxies in NE part of Pegasus, between 23h RA, +30° DEC and 00h RA, +40° DEC.

NGC 7457, lenticular galaxy in Pegasus, m=11.2
214x: Bright nebula, smallish, oval but with fuzzy edges. There is some mottling in surface brightness of galaxy, like it has some sort of texture. Central part is dominated by bright core.

I’ve spent some time trying to find nearby NGC 7473 but without success. Eventually, there was some faint fuzzy, barely visible but I can’t identify which object it was.

NGC 7512, elliptical galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.7
214x: Very faint, small, round nebula with “dancing” edges.

NGC 7490, spiral galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.3
214x: Rather easy object to spot in eyepiece, but still it is very faint, small nebula without details.

NGC 7680, lenticular galaxy in Pegasus, m=12.3
214x: This is small, very faint fuzzie without any details.

It was now 20 minutes past midnight, and I’ve been observing for almost 2 hours. I have to work in morning and since I was near cornfield, whole night was full of strange sounds, noises etc... and I grew tired of it. My only comfort is that sounds from cornfield are made by herbivorous.

Edited by Vedran, 08 September 2019 - 11:37 AM.

• Ptarmigan, KidOrion, sgottlieb and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics