•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light on Orion Nebula

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

Dogs woke me up really early to use the bathroom and I noticed the sky was unusually clear and dark! Waking up right away I debated lugging out the 6” Dob but then I saw Orion which for me, I haven’t seen this summer. Remembering that there is a DSO in the sword of Orion I shoot the laser at it and scoot to the finderscope. Even in the 9x50 the beauty of it was stunning. Moving to the eyepiece I gaze....“So bright”, I kept saying in my head. This has to be the brightest DSO I’ve ever observed yet (which isn’t many, I’m new if you can’t tell). It wasn’t until I read about what I saw that I learned the Orion Nebula is one of the brightest DSOs. 

It was the best view I’ve seen in my eyepiece yet and the scope is only three weeks old. The nebula looked like a bright cloud lit up with soft blue moonlight. I know that isn’t truth but I’m trying to describe what I saw.

Beauty should about do it.

Why didn’t I get one of these in my 20s?!?

Edited by skysoldier173abn, 08 September 2019 - 03:24 PM.

• Knasal, NYJohn S, chakel and 1 other like this

#2 delgado39

delgado39

Mariner 2

• Loc: Glen Ellen, California

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

The Orion Nebula is one of my favorites with wispy like clouds.  Glad you had an opportunity to enjoy it.  I’ll never forget waking up like you and seeing it.  My friends and I were at a dark site and all our gear was conveniently covered up but ready to use.  Ended up looking at Orion for quite some time.  Best of all the weather was great.  Keep on enjoying!!

• skysoldier173abn likes this

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

Funny when Orion is out, despite the rest of the universe being out there also, I keep going back to it!

• Jaimo!, Cali and skysoldier173abn like this

#4 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

One day I will dabble in Astrophotography. This will def be a target of priority. For now I will play with Barlow’s and filters. The view on that nebula alone was enough to get me thinking about a specialized filter for nebulae.

#5 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:38 PM

The super cheap Svbony one in my signature works great on Orion. Filters are a subject of much debate but I will say this one makes a noticeable difference on it and doesn’t cost $500.

And I was where you were only a couple years ago and I have to tell you “dabbling in imaging” is not a thing you can do. It seems like you can at first (how hard can it be to take pictures?!) but my message to you is to spend some time doing research before spending any money on imaging. This is absolutely one of those hobbies where you might get away with cheaping out on some things but generally all I’ve done is spend money on something only to realize that I should’ve just kept saving up for the quality one.
  • TahaSiddiqui likes this

#6 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

Thanks. For $33 I’ll check it out. Do some reading.

#7 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:39 AM

There are three things that invariably elicit gasps of wonder from people at outreach events: the Moon, Saturn with its rings and M42.

#8 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

I woke up early again before work to see more of M42. As I was observing (40mm with 2x Barlow), I saw in the upper right quadrant of FOV something moving. “What’s this?”, I ask to myself. I’ve seen “shooting stars” in the eyepiece before, this was not that fast. It traveled at a considerably slower speed, taking 3-4 seconds to travel across the FOV. I try to track with the scope. Nudge, scan....catch the moving pinpoint! Track more....speed was constant, direction of travel was constant. Just slower than a meteor. Was it a satellite? Thoughts?

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:52 AM

Orion is the abode of a number of geosynchronous satellites.

http://mistisoftware...6_GeoSynSat.htm

https://www.skyandte...trophotography/

Dave Mitsky

#10 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Dave. Still learning to identify what is being seen at times. The more I look, the more I see and the more I learn. Thanks for feedback everyone.

#11 Araguaia

Araguaia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

The nebula looked like a bright cloud lit up with soft blue moonlight. I know that isn’t truth but I’m trying to 

It is truth.  The inner parts of the Orion Nebula glow in a lovely soft greenish blue.

Wait till second, third, and tenth light on M42.  They can be just as wonderful as the first time.  There is endless detail still to see.

#12 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

I guess I meant to say it isn’t the moon causing the illumination. Yes, quite right about the blue. I’ve been making a habit to wake up early to observe given the moons current phase. I have to say I am growing VERY FOND of this DSO and have been paying extra attention to the Trapezium.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics