•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution WiFi issues. NEW

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:01 AM

Hi, i'd like to try last skyportal v3 dongle with xx007 chipset... How can i be shure to get the right one?
Orange Socket version is good?

They all look alike and all are similar numbered. You can only tell once being used with a network analyser tool. Best bet;

1.  Don't buy second hand.

2.  Buy only from reputable astro gear dealer (like Astronomics in USA or FLO in UK).

3.  Agree return if it doesn't work.

All reputable astro dealers will be aware of this history and will be sympathetic. Hopefully, all old stock has departed their shelves.

The fact is even generation three isn't perfect (short range etc) because it uses the now cluttered  2.4Ghz channel. I use mine in Access Point mode only to bridge the two feet between my scope and Intel NUC (at scope) then use my Network and Microsoft Remote Desktop to offer WiFi control from indoors. Beyond around 10' Celestron WiFi isn't good enough. 

#27 Tarzan

Tarzan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:33 AM

Ok Dears..

I've just used CPWI and it works at first attempt! 

With a Tp Link wifi USB key on win10..

But when i retry with mobile devices i still get dead responses.. 

At this point i assume there is some trouble btw ski portal and the rest of my devices... 

Let me ask only a last question before i give up.. 

I see that ip setting in the scope have identical 1.2.3.4  default numbers in 2 or 3 fields ( picture some post above..) Is It normal? What should be the correct ip, gate, dns settings? 

Im very noob in networking but seeing identical numbers in different protocol field seems quite strange! 

Edited by Tarzan, 13 May 2020 - 08:50 AM.

#28 BlueAstra

BlueAstra

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, UK

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

There are some "how to" posts here on Cloudy Nights but I've lost track of the link.  I also have general info in the "wireless connections" section on this page of my website:

https://www.nexstars...m/PCControl.htm

That said, all of the Bluetooth adapters require the older RS-232 (RJ-22 telephone style jack) hand control as there are no Bluetooth to USB adapters that work with the USB hand controls.  

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

I may be wrong, but wasn’t there an issue with connecting to 3rd party Bluetooth dongles with iPads or iPhones? IOS doesn’t like them?

#29 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

I may be wrong, but wasn’t there an issue with connecting to 3rd party Bluetooth dongles with iPads or iPhones? IOS doesn’t like them?

Correct, Bluetooth connections are only for Android, Windows and possibly Mac.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#30 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Messenger

• Loc: Jersey, Channel Islands

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

I have an issue which I have a ticket raised with Celestron for.

Basically I did a Firmware update and App cleardown last week and could connect the first time I tried, but without moving an inch, I disconnected and tried to reconnect, but I get the usual error about making sure the mount WiFi is on and that my scope settings are correct, yet I have not changed anything in the settings since the successful connection. I was also away from strong WiFi signals and had a full WiFi signal from the mount, as my Tablet was resting on top of it.

On advice from Celestron I deleted the Firmware files from my laptop and ran the CFM tool, which downloaded and reinstalled the Firmware files. At the second run of the updater I was able to connect to the mount again, but once I disconnected I could not get back on it again. (same as happened to Tarzan in post #20).

I uninstalled the Apps and deleted the legacy folders from the tablet and phone. Then reinstalled and only set UK as the location just so that there was location data rather than zero's.

I have an Evo 9.25, was using the original handset, with a very new (used 3 or 4 times) USB + RS232 cable. Using SkyPortal or SkySafari, no accessories connected.

I have checked and followed all of the tips on Mike Swanson's WiFi troubleshooting page (link sent to me by Celestron).

Any thoughts?

Here is my latest troubleshooting and conclusion, sent to Celestron tonight:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, while we're waiting for the engineer I decided to try something else:

1) Flash the mount and original Evolution hand controller Firmware again, downloading new files again
2) Do a factory reset of my Tablet, a complete wipe of Tablet and SD card
3) Install only SkyPortal on the Tablet, set the location as UK, don't change any other settings
4) Disconnect and forget the home WiFi I used to set the Tablet up
5) Move to a location away from any strong WiFi signals
6) Connect to the mount WiFi
7) Run SkyPortal and connect to the mount
8) Slew the mount to check I am connected OK

This worked. BUT, once I hit disconnect I am now unable to connect to the mount again.

I have tried closing the App and disconnecting from the mount WiFi, then trying again, which didn't work. I rebooted the mount, that didn't work. I reset the mount WiFi using the pinhole reset switch, that didn't work.

I think this proves that my Tablet can connect to the mount, but something happens either when I connect or disconnect that makes future connections impossible.

Edited by JerseyBoy, 22 May 2020 - 03:13 AM.

#31 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:27 AM

This is where I think the issue stemmed from, the recent Firmware updates to WiFi code. My issue sounds like the bug that was fixed in 7.15.9120.

7.17.0098 April-2020 Bug Fix: Version number not reported correctly. Bug Fix: Wifi config error introduced by 7.17.0031
7.17.0031 April-2020 Bug Fix: Data corruption on SSA camera when used with internal Gen3 WiFi
7.15.9215 August-2019 Bug Fix: Retuned feedback loop
7.15.9120 July-2019 Bug Fix: WiFi would lock up if user lost connection to WiFi attempted to reconnect
Bug Fix: Improved reliability of CFM updates over WiFi
7.15.9088 April-2019 Bug Fix: Internal 3rd generation WiFi module caused SkyPortal to lock up when used with StarSense Accessory camera.

Edited by JerseyBoy, 22 May 2020 - 03:32 AM.

#32 Tarzan

Tarzan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:38 AM

Hi, no good News.. Still Locks on wifi + Android or iPad 2...

It works perfectly only via PC+win10+Celestron CPWI sw and a little Wi-Fi USB dongle.. 

Always at first try.. 

It seem only a big bug that could be resolved with further Skyportal and/or board fw upgrades.. 

Let's hope... bow.gif

Edited by Tarzan, 23 May 2020 - 02:41 AM.

#33 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Messenger

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:41 AM

Tarzan, I think we both have the same issue. There was some new Firmware out yesterday, but only for the handsets (Nexstar and StarSense, I updated both, no change), nothing for the mount itself, but as the handset Firmware just appeared it may be that new mount Firmware is not far away.

#34 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:56 AM

Tarzan, I think we both have the same issue. There was some new Firmware out yesterday, but only for the handsets (Nexstar and StarSense, I updated both, no change), nothing for the mount itself, but as the handset Firmware just appeared it may be that new mount Firmware is not far away.

What firmware updates were released yesterday? There is no update later than April  listed at https://www.celestro...-update-history

This week there has been a minor update to CPWI (2.3.5 beta1) in TeamCelestron, but didn't affect WiFi.

The sad fact is Celestron WiFi has a long history of heaping misery on us. I have suffered from first, second and third generation Wifi. If it works, you are lucky. If it doesn't, you might waste hours seeking solutions.

Frankly, I have given up. It uses the 2.4ghz channel that is prone to interference from external clutter and USB3. In urban areas you will suffer signal drop outs. If watching a movie a few 'lost packets'  won't affect your enjoyment. But lose one 'data packet' with your scope and you have lost control. I have had my nerves shredded to often watching an expensive camera thud into my mount during a wild uncontrolled slew after a Celestron WiFi disconnect . I won't trust Celestron WiFi again. However, I do use Microsoft Remote Desktop over a more stable 5 Ghz WAN.

#35 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Messenger

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

Noah, ah right, must have just been the CFM that was upgraded then, as I got a message to say a new version was available, which I downloaded. I thought they only released a new CFM when there were new Firmware updates to install.

I've not had a problem with WiFi on my Evolution until now, probably because I don't update Firmware until everyone else has had the pain and the bugs are all fixed. Reading the thread started last year, it seemed that was the case in early May, hence I did the updates, and now my WiFi is screwed.

I'll wait to see if anything happens with Celestron after sending them all my info on troubleshooting. I know I have the option to buy an external WiFi or Bluetooth adaptor, but I'm only going to spend that money if Celestron can't fix this issue, and then I'll forget Firmware updates for a long time!!

Edited by JerseyBoy, 23 May 2020 - 10:49 AM.

#36 Tarzan

Tarzan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:08 PM

Are fw Downgradable? 

If so then would be simple coming back to the working ones.. 

#37 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Messenger

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:16 PM

Tarzan, I've asked Celestron that, but advice I've read on other Websites says Celestron strongly advise against doing it. I did try, using an old copy on my laptop using CFM offline,, but the CFM wouldn't install the older version, so I presume in later versions of CFM they have rigged it so it cannot install an older version than what's already on the mount, so it would need a special version of CFM from Celestron that doesn't have this 'feature'.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics