•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Probably asked 100 times but best way to clean eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

I apologize about a repetitive question, but what’s the best way to clean dirty pieces? Canned air and then a cleaner?

I couldn’t find a post but if anyone can quickly paste one, I’d appreciate it!

#2 db2005

db2005

Viking 1

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5 skies.

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=103

I use Baader Optical Wonder for cleaning optics, but there are many alternatives.

• Jon Isaacs and havasman like this

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

The ES100 20mm makes a great nuclear submarine in the bath tub.

#4 Frisky

Frisky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

Maybe just buy a LensPen and be done with it. However, I've also sprayed eyeglass lens cleaner onto a soft cloth and it worked fine.

Joe

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

Alcohol swab works fine for me.

#6 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

I use cotten buds, pick the fluid of your choice.

Find I can clean the surfaces easy with one but in honesty a cloth for the final residue removal is good. Fluids tend to always leave some smears behind.

Takes a little time as if you clean down into to edges what usually happens is you dig out more crud, so take more time to clean/remove that. But you have a clean eyepiece - eventually.

Warthog once said "What is wrong with wirewool and gasoline?"

Some people in the UK thought he meant it lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

Maybe just buy a LensPen and be done with it. However, I've also sprayed eyeglass lens cleaner onto a soft cloth and it worked fine.

Joe

Some people are comfortable using a lens pen.  I am not one of them.  If the pen becomes contaminated somehow with dust or grime, then I would be cleaning with a contaminated material and potentially damage to lens coating.  In the laboratory, when cleaning something critical, the cleaning tissue or material is used for one swipe and discarded.  

I use the TeleVue system and generally use either pure ethanol or pure isopropanol.   

One tip from Roland Christen:  If a shiny spot remains, wet your finger with saliva and clean the spot with your fingertip.  Your saliva contains powerful enzymes and according to Roland, your finger tip is softer than any tissue.  Make sure you clean the saliva off immediately.  

Jon

• turtle86, Sarkikos, havasman and 1 other like this

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:57 AM

ROR followed by Kimwipes.

Mike

• havasman likes this

#9 JohnAshburn

JohnAshburn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

Sorry to belabor a recurring question, but I'm a new member of CN that is trying to "refurbish" a Meade 200LXE 8" scope, early 1990's vintage. I am concerned about damaging the coating on eyepiece lenses with cleaning fluid: I am hoping to clean Meade multi-coated lenses and presently only a 40mm "Super Plossl" renders a crisp image with the Meade 200LXE.  Also have a Edmund Scientific RKE 8mm lens.   After getting advice from CN, I finally used acetone on the finder scope, and cleaned it sufficiently after much deliberation; is acetone dangerous for multi-coated lenses?  Which cleaning fluids will damage the multi-coated surfaces?  This scope will be passed around to school teachers who want to show their students the night sky. 

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

Acetone cleans lenses well--use q-tips.

But, keep it away from plastic or rubber!

And don't breathe the fumes.

The material that would damage the coatings would probably be hazardous to even handle (like strong acids), 

so no lens cleaning fluid, alcohol, acetone, etc, will damage the coatings.

You've read the advice from TeleVue?

http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=103

One recommendation: don't use a lens pen.  They're only clean once and after that, they're smearing around stuff they picked up on the previous cleaning.

Go ahead and use one only if it's a one-use-and-thrown-away circumstance.  Even then, a dry anything on a dry lens is a prescription for scratches.

• Sarkikos likes this

#11 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:06 AM

When I do decide to clean, which is not often...  I use plain-jane Windex or reagent grade EtOH; and Zeiss or Fisherbrand lens tissues.

Jaimo!

#12 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

Last night I had a big ol' scare as I noticed some fungus had grown on the outer lens of my 2x PowerMate. First time in 25 years I've seen fungus on optics, so I was a bit freaked out.

I didn't have any isopropyl alcohol, but I did have denatured alcohol clean burning fuel from Klean-Strip.

Risking it I decided to moisten a Q-tip with the denaturated alcohol and hold it on the fungus root to kill it, and then proceeded to swab the rest of the lens with it.

It worked flawlessly. Even 91% pure isopropyl alcohol leaves a noticeable residue, but this denatured alcohol left the lens 100% perfectly clean. No matter which angle I held the lens at to look for residue, I couldn't see it.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will come along and correct me, but of all the cleaning solutions I've tried (which all left a residue that required additional cleaning and buffing to remove), this stuff seemed to work the best:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B002MBX2QE/

From my understanding not all denaturated alcohol is created equal and some brands or variations might have more additives, but I couldn't see any with the stuff linked above.

I'm going to try it out more on some of my cheaper eyepieces to see how it works at cleaning finger prints and eyelash oil.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 20 September 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#13 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

I use Zeiss Lens Cleaner, it's safe for all multi-coated lenses. You can buy a kit from Amazon for about $15. It's done a great job of cleaning my eyepieces streak free. I even have used it on my LX90 and got the same results. I tried using 90% isopropyl alcohol & distilled water as advised by Meade, but it left horrible streaks and was worse than it was before cleaning. I waited 24 hours to see if they would disappear, but the streaks were just more prominent. I decided to try the lens cleaner since it worked flawlessly on my eyepieces, and I figured it couldn't make it any worse than it already was. I could see a noticeable difference after the first wipe and got it to a streak free clean after going over the whole surface on the first try. My thoughts were, "Why didn't I try that to start with?"

zeiss cleaner.jpg

lx90 clean.jpg

• Illinois, Sarkikos and CrazyPanda like this

#14 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

One recommendation: don't use a lens pen.  They're only clean once and after that, they're smearing around stuff they picked up on the previous cleaning.

That!! For sure.

No acetone for me either, for materials handling reasons. I've never had anything on an eyepiece, including the worst a crowd of 2000+ could do at large outreach events, that wouldn't safely come off with isopropyl alcohol, cotton swab and Kimwipes. Final pass with the moisture from a breath and a clean Kimwipe.

Edited by havasman, 20 September 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#15 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

I just did some cleaning the other day. 

Used a bit of lens cleaner on a cotton swab lightly dabbing. Tore it to expose a clean part and kept dabbing. Then lightly wiped always with a clean spot of cotton until spotless.

I always see where it's said your finger tip is softer than anything. Likely not mine. Ask my wife! According to her I could use them to exfoliate her skin!lol.gif

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

Last night I had a big ol' scare as I noticed some fungus had grown on the outer lens of my 2x PowerMate. First time in 25 years I've seen fungus on optics, so I was a bit freaked out.

I didn't have any isopropyl alcohol, but I did have denatured alcohol clean burning fuel from Klean-Strip.

Risking it I decided to moisten a Q-tip with the denaturated alcohol and hold it on the fungus root to kill it, and then proceeded to swab the rest of the lens with it.

It worked flawlessly. Even 91% pure isopropyl alcohol leaves a noticeable residue, but this denatured alcohol left the lens 100% perfectly clean. No matter which angle I held the lens at to look for residue, I couldn't see it.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will come along and correct me, but of all the cleaning solutions I've tried (which all left a residue that required additional cleaning and buffing to remove), this stuff seemed to work the best:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B002MBX2QE/

From my understanding not all denaturated alcohol is created equal and some brands or variations might have more additives, but I couldn't see any with the stuff linked above.

I'm going to try it out more on some of my cheaper eyepieces to see how it works at cleaning finger prints and eyelash oil.

Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol with methyl alcohol or methyl ethyl ketone or similar added to the alcohol.

Those other agents, the "denaturalizers" are actually better solvents than the ethyl alcohol.

It's an excellent cleaner, but sometimes hard to find these days,

Edited by Starman1, 20 September 2019 - 04:00 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics